Your Hypothetical "Universal Ignore List"

Fantasize with me a moment.

Imagine some energetic software group figures out a way to install an Ignore List either in your OS or your browser so that you can have a once-and-for-all place to block every possible mention, image or reference of those “celebrities” and “public figures” that you are just about to the point of hiring hit-persons to eliminate so you don’t ever have to hear or read about them again.

Who would you put on your list?

BTW, has this already been done?

There are so many I would overload the program. Also, I have no personal problems with any of these people and do not wish them ill, I just don’t want to hear about them.

Anyone in a movie or TV show. Just act and go away.
Same for singers.
All political spouses and kids. Their dogs are ok, though.

Awhile back (eight years ago, actually) I started a thread for the 2006 Rat’s Ass Awards, which involved celebrities and issues which Dopers did not give a rat’s ass about. At the time, my all-time get-these-celebs-away-from-me list included Madonna, Reba McIntyre, Angelina Jolie and Tom Cruise.

Nowadays I’d single out the Kardashians, Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber and Hillary Clinton for starters.

Anything having to do with the Real Anything of Kardashia.

Everything hockey.

Hard to argue with that! I’d add Sarah Palin, Chris Christie, Oprah, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, FOX News, and maybe 90% of the Republican Party, and certainly the Tea Party segment.

Is it OK for you guys if I keep Jennifer Lawrence?

In fact, is there a version of this program that will simply replace every other celebrity with Jennifer Lawrence? That would be awesome. Just Jennifer Lawrence interviewing herself, all day long. And running over to help herself when she falls down stairs.

I think the default for this software should be “BLOCK ALL,” then give you the ability to allow who you wish to hear about.

I’m having quite a bit of difficulty thinking of the names of any celebrities I’m sick of hearing about. Which is basically another way of bragging about the effectiveness of my current psychological ignore list!

That said, I do sometimes read the ‘Metro’* on the tube**. I’d hate to HAVE to hear about the Kardashians and the Rooneys*** incessantly. Yet another benefit of chucking my office job a few years ago.

*A free newspaper

**the Metro

***Yeah, exactly. Lucky not-British you.

Pretty much all the celeb stuff is practically down in the white noise. I vaguely know who Kim Kardashian is. I know a lot of the other celeb names, but often don’t know what they’re famous for. (E.g. is Justin Bieber a singer or an actor, or what? No, I don’t care enough to take 5 seconds to Google him. :D) So I really don’t need to have help in tuning them out.

I was hoping this would be a ‘universal ignore list’ in the sense that I could get everyone in the Universe to ignore them. George F. Will, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, the Duck Dynasty, Sarah Palin - say goodbye to your audiences.

Just for laughs, how would you learn about whom to add? Aside from that, what if the identities of those involved in news stories were just reduced to the key demographic data as in

“… at 11:30 PM last night a 30-year-old male perpetrated a criminal act on a 35-year-old male on the north side of the city. Arrest was made. Trial will be next month.”

To be honest, I rarely watch news any longer, I get political information from a couple of political news clippers, and I have told my roomie not to bother sharing any of her recreational outrage crap with me as I simply do not want to hear the shit any longer. If it isn’t anybody we know, or can do anything about I really don’t much give a shit any longer, I am burnt out from hearing about the latest shooting or bombing after shooting after bombing after shooting after fucking bombing. I DON’T GIVE A SHIT ANY MORE. They are going to continue to shoot and blow things up, nothing we can do will stop something from happening. They will continue to find guns and ammo, they will continue to cook up bombs.

My list:
Sarah Palin, Jay Cutler, Mike Ditka, all the Kardashians, the entire Duck Dynasty, Adam Sandler, Dennis Rodman, Vladimir Putin, Jenny McCarthy, John Kass, Ralph Lauren, and Miley Cyrus.

People who are this far |-| from my ignore forever list:
Ted Cruz, Rush Limbaugh, Dennis Byrne, Dinesh D’Sousa, Joe Leiberman, and Rand Paul.

Can we put dead people on this list? If so, I shall add Ayn Rand and Ronald Reagan.

Yeah I don’t think I want to be in the dark about what “the other side” is saying/doing. Things would get very ugly very quickly if all of the political and religious nut jobs went completely under the radar of those who disagree with them.

I’m fine with keeping everyone above board. “Know your enemy” and whatnot.

Everyone involved with scientology or the anti vax noise.

Rock on, Bubba (or Bubbette)! :smiley:

A few years back a friend was working for an internet company that was going be a news aggregating site. It would give a person the ability to see a range of articles on the same subject in order to see more than one point of view of an issue.

He gave me access to their beta site and asked for feedback. I suggested an ignore list, as I didn’t want to see the entire entertainment section overtaken by Paris Hilton and the Kardashians. I also suggested an exceptions to the ignore, such as death or sex tape. So you could ignore anything about Paris Hilton, unless she died or released a new sex tape. Sadly they did not add that ability to their news site. I’m not even sure it ever got off the ground.

Anything FoxNews/Murdoch produced/originated. I don’t need the propaganda or the lies. Anything “cult of talk radio” related. Not funny, not topical, not original (its like they stopped trying in '95).

Not only is it dangerous to ignore one’s political opposition, doing so is how those folks you’d rather ignore got to be where they are right now.

Sarah Palin
Duck Dynasty
NASCAR
Basketball in any form
The Kardashians and anyone/thing related to them
Dennis Rodman
Justin Bieber
Tom Cruise
FOX News