Game of Thrones 6.01 "The Red Woman" 4/24/2016 [Show Discussion]

This is the weekly episodic thread for discussions of the show and only the show. There will be an open spoilers thread for those who wish to compare the show to the books. For this thread, and the ones that follow, the books do not exist.

And yes, I know the show has caught up to the books on some plotlines, and that the situation has reversed itself in that the show will reveal certain plot points ahead of the books. That doesn’t affect the policy of these threads. There are still plenty of book plotlines that will yet happen in the show. And in general, the seperate threads have worked really well, and almost everyone is happy with them, and there’s no need to change that up now. If you want to argue about this, as some invariably do, please take it to ATMB. Do not ruin this thread with protestations of spoiler policy. It has been hashed out extensively.

Last year’s season threads. You can find the previous year’s season threads linked in the first thread from that year.

I created a season 6 anticipation thread last week, so if you’ve got some general thoughts you want to share, that’s still a good place until the episode airs.

5.01 The Wars to Come
5.02 The House of Black and White
5.03 High Sparrow
5.04 The Sons of the Harpy
5.05 Kill The Boy
5.06 Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
5.07 The Gift
5.08 Hardhome
5.09 The Dance of Dragons
5.10 Mother’s Mercy

I think you have a typo in the thread title; the episode airs on April 24, not today.

I fixed the date as you requested.

based on the title I expect the red woman to not do much, they want us to think she plays a key role. :slight_smile:

Watching this show unsullied is just-- wow! I was so NOT expecting that!

Fastest boner kill ever.

So it’s the necklace that has the magic?

Dorn might end up being interesting after all.

What was Marcella’s “crown of gold” – her hair? Since the prophecy says each shall wear a crown of gold as well as the golden shroud.

Did not see the Red Woman coming.

I expected someone else to do it, but I went ahead and created a season 6 open spoilers (book/show) thread for those of you interested.

I don’t think anyone was going to bother since we are all in the same boat now.

Funny- for a brief amount of time I was hopeful that they would get Jon snow back again, but then I remembered that (being a tv show) it’s going to drag out for, at least, the whole season…

Glad to see Sansa rescued, arya is going full Kung fu this season

There’s still plenty to discuss - there are plotlines in the books that are likely to visited this season, you can discuss background information in the books and how it might relate to future plot points without worrying whether they might end up on the show, and just any sort of discussion about the books at all. Plenty of material still for a book/show thread. Having one thread would likely be too restrictive.

I’m usually a big defender of GoT…but if this episode’s major criticism is that it had too much set-up and not enough forward movement…I won’t argue.

Nice to see some Dorne stuff cleaned up though. That those women had a plan.

It’s the first episode ffs. Of course it’s setup.

I was hoping for a bit more excitement myself.

Given that the Sand Snakes are portrayed as ninja turtle knock-offs, I’m going to dread the Dorne scenes, no matter what happens there.

I think Melisandre is still going to cause the resurrection of Jon Snow, just not in the way that everyone expected-- she says the words over his corpse and he comes back to life, a la Thoros of Myr. Instead, I think it’s going to happen in the “only death can pay for life” activation of the latent magic in this world that we’ve seen for e.g. Daenerys and the dragons. Melisandre loses her faith and takes off the collar that magically keeps her young, and she curls up in bed and rapidly ages to death. Her death then causes Jon Snow to come back to life. This sort of transfer doesn’t have to be conscious or intentional. For instance, it’s made pretty clear that Ned killing Lady is what caused Bran to wake up, and it’s not like Ned would have known to do that on purpose.

At this point, in any case, I think a “how Melisandre got her groove back” storyline would be completely wrong for the tone that’s been established by this episode.

Or are we going to see Davos put the necklace on Jon and have a not so hilarious monologue of “Uhhh…this is Davos, im not much of a praying man. But well…see…these Walkers are going to run over the world…so if you could bring back Jon Snow, I’d be mightily grateful. So…yeah. Hello? Is this thing on?”

When the Red woman started disrobing without even having anyone else in the room I was thinking that we were getting another scene of nudity for no real purpose. It was actually an interesting character development.

Since no one in the city has any reason to follow Tyrion, I suppose that any decisions he makes are going through Grey Worm who is acting as mayor as far as the public is concerned? If not he is too conspicuous to wander around unnoticed.

Does Brienne know that her sword was made from Ned Stark’s? I am betting that Brienne will not be able to keep her vow probably because of something related to Jaime. A future episode is called Oathbreaker.

I hope we see some acknowledgement that Sansa already knows Pod.

I still like the theory that Jon Snow is the son of Lyanna Stark and the mad king. Ned adopting him as one of his.
That would make him a Targayen and he could be re-born from fire like Danerys.
I see the night’s watch burning his body (since that’s been the norm now to keep them from becoming dead walkers) and him rising from the ashes.

I was not a big fan of that episode. I was so hyped from all the previews, but no real surprises. I needed something more consequential.