Don't spend the eclipse buying potato chips

SunChips is having an eclipse-related promotion. Which given the name of their product is a natural. They’ve developed a special flavor (Pineapple Habanero and Black Bean Spicy Gouda).

But here’s what makes this pit-worthy. These chips will have a limited availability. Very limited. In fact, the only way you can obtain a bag of these eclipse-themed chips is to order them online - during the eclipse itself.

So SunChips is telling people that they should be on their computers ordering a bag of potato chips during this rare astronomical phenomenon rather than going outside and actually observing that phenomenon.

But if you live in an area where you’re not going to have a good view of the eclipse and you were going to miss out anyway, it’s a kind of consolation prize.

This sounds good as two different flavors of chips. Pineapple and cheese do not go together (unless you’re a fan of pineapple casserole).

Assuming it’s not only for people within the zone of totality, that’s a nearly two hour window to order the things. Plenty of time to get on and order a bag before or after your area has totality, or whenever if it doesn’t.

I can’t imagine the venn diagram of “people who want to observe a total eclipse in all its glory” and “people who deeply care about limited edition sun chips” has too terribly much overlap.

Also, from the site:

Whether or not you happen to be in the path of totality, Gerardi suggests having the website queued up and ready to hit the order button so you don’t miss the wonder of seeing the event itself.

The link is worth reading for the cringe-inducing advertising copy, though. “Cosmic collection of flavors” indeed.

Any word from Corona beer?

Or a certain brand of chewing gum?

Hopefully the chips aren’t too high in cholesterol, you don’t want a total eclipse of the heart.

I make no promises.

Or a totality blockage of a coronary artery.

mmm

Um, pineapple pizza? I think you can find a cheese to go with any fruit. (But those are two different flavors of chips, I believe.
ETA: oh wow. Pineapple casserole is a real thing. I thought that was a joke.

They sound disgusting, actually.

That’s it! I am boycotting SunChips!!

Though admittedly, my boycott will not really be distinguishable from the fact I never buy SunChips anyway. But still, it’s the principle of the thing.

Another entry in the “why does this food exist” file, well ahead of Natural Cheetos.

I’d probably give this slightly weird combo a try, with the caveat that some of the primary ingredients will be monosodium glutamate and non-natural flavours which may give me cancer. But, as the youth say, YOLO.

If someone else paid for them and offered me a taste.

They’ve been keeping a low profile these past 4 years.

“Hey cracka, pas the Sun Chips”

Gotcha! Mum’s the word. Ix-nay on the irus-vay.

I’m surprised no one has started a conspiracy theory re Corona beer is a vehicle for the COVID bug.

:notes: Here comes the Sun Chips
Quando para mucho mi amore de felice corazon :notes:

It was actually a decades-long product placement scheme in collaboration with Disney:

There is, truly, nothing new under the sun.