My daughter (on the spectrum) just bought a case of potato chips

She was in a panic because she heard about the world wide chip shortage.

She couldn’t figure out why asia was so interested in potato chips though.

Bless her heart.

In my case, I really agree with the traditional meaning of that phrase, and not the Southern interpretation.

What flavor and brand were they?

She’s not wrong about the chip shortage; one can never have enough Doritos or Pringles.

Somewhat similar to your anecdote is an engineering professor acquaintance of mine who teaches this sort of stuff (semiconductor in Chinese is ban dao ti, but the word for “trip over” is also ban dao.) So when his two young daughters sat in on one of his classes, they asked him afterwards if semiconductors trip people over.

Whenever we visit our kids in the US they always want us to bring a case of Old Dutch ketchup flavoured potato chips. A little piece of Canada that they can’t do without.

Several months back one of my local surplus food stores had chips by the case. Big brands were more expensive, but a couple of brands (“Late July” is the name I remember) were $1.00 for a case of 24 larger bags or 72 smaller bags. I bought some (cases) to try. Would have bought again, but by the time my supply ran out, so had theirs.

I’m not Southern, and I wasn’t being mean. She meant well and chips are always popular. There are times when someone needs to crunch on some salty fried stuff.

Haha. The OP had me panicked too. I was just about to order some potato chips and got worried for a second that there wouldn’t be any.

I had to do a quick google search to calm down.

OP’s daughter has the right idea.

Substitute “toilet paper” for “potato chips” and you have millions of people who can’t even use the spectrum as an excuse.

Yeah—I was just about to say: don’t start panic-buying potato chips and causing a shortage, @Heffalump_and_Roo :wink:

Mallard, Old Dutch does make the best chips, though ketchup flavor is not my thing. Do you guys have the Spicy Dill version that is popular down here (near the Old Dutch St. Paul, MN plant).

@Sigene I see a lot of hamburgers, hot dogs, tuna salad sandwiches, and grilled cheese sandwiches in y’all’s immediate future. Can I come and live at your house? I’ll bring the pickles. Gotta have pickles.

My potato chip weakness is Ruffles Sour Cream & Onion. Sigh.

lol, I like potato chips but they don’t keep as long as toilet paper. I won’t be stockpiling potato chips.

(I didn’t stockpile toilet paper either though)

If you run out of one do you reach for the other? Either direction could be interesting.

You can try. There is a pickle shortage.

“It’s always something. If it’s not one thing, it’s another.”
– Rosanne Roseannadanna

I bought a case of Lays Stax simply because I eat them a lot, and it was a bit cheaper than buying them individually at the time. Granted, a case only has like 14 in them.

But some would argue those (like Pringles) aren’t actually potato chips, since they’re made with potato flour. I do agree they taste very different.

Well, damn. I’ll bet there’s no kale shortage, amirite? Hmmm?? Harrumph.

Are there any limited-edition flavors of Lay’s potato chips out? I haven’t been in a store but thought I saw a bag of lime flavor Lay’s - are there any others?

This is the latest I could find online. This was back in July 2020. I wonder how they taste. Anyone try these?

Kettle cooked New York Style pizza
Nashville Hot Chicken
Philly Cheesesteak
Carnitas Street Taco
Chile Relleno

One of the potato chip makers should make a commercial where they say they are ramping up production to ensure the there is no chip shortage. They could show them packaging up cases of potato chips and sending them to car manufacturers, computer makers, etc.