10th post lost in 'saving'

Fuck this site. The old site didn’t this. It does to me all the time. I have a great internet connection, super-fast, but all the time ‘saving’…

Where is the middle-finger emoji???

“Saving”?

I’ve not lost a post since we came to the new site. The old one, however…

Maybe describe in more detail? I’m not having any problems.

I type a post, submit and then see at the bottom of the SD window in a Chrome browser…

saving…

saving…

I’ve never seen this. In fact, I’ve had the opposite experience, where anything I type is saved automatically such that if I open the same thread in another browser tab, my draft post is still there waiting for me.

I’m usually using Safari on an iPad. I also use Firefox on a Mac.

So the board hates me and me alone…

saving…

That sounds like a network issue, not a board problem.

I’ve had the same problem, but I do have a dodgy connection at times. Mostly if I leave it alone it eventually posts, but it’s very annoying.

What have you tried doing when you get the ‘Saving…’ message?

It’s due to a bad internet connection.

You should copy the text of your post, refresh the page, then paste the text again if it was only partially saved before.

Try pinging the site and see if you get any lost packets. Bring up a command line window and type:

ping boards.straightdope.com -n 50

This will ping the board 50 times. Or use a different number.

You want to see if you get any packet loss, and also if there’s occasional much higher latency than usual (the “time=” number).

Even if you’re having internet connection issues, until they’re resolved you might also try a different browser, like Firefox, which may handle connection issues differently.

If you suspect internet connection issues, you might also want to do an internet speed test, preferably one that is specific to your ISP. If you’re getting substandard speed or great variations in speed, that gives you evidence for placing a trouble call.

This still exists and it is NOT a bad internet connection. I visit many sites and only have a trouble here. Frustrating as Hell. I loose a lot of posts because I did not type fast enough and did not think to copy all of it before hitting the button. :frowning:

Why does it (seem to) matter how fast you type? At the beginning of the thread you said the issue happens after you hit submit.

Did you ever try a different browser? Or a different computer? Or a different network (even using your phone as a hotspot and connecting the computer to it)?

If I wait to long between ‘reply’ and submitting, then it goes to ‘saving’ purgatory.

Strange, but it sounds like a browser issue. Can you repeat it in Firefox?

ETA, maybe try a different skin. Different skins, at least here, seem to have actual differences between them beyond the color schemes.

@codinghorror

I’ve never had this happen on either my desktop computer browser or my phone browser.

Not in Discourse at any rate. With the old boards, almost anything you can imagine going wrong did at some point.

I’ve only had that happen when for some reason my internet connection was down when I hit submit.

What browser, OS, SDMB skin, etc. are you using?

I would suspect a connection issue. But it also suggests a problem with board design. When it says “Saving,” the original post should still be there and you should be able to highlight it, so you don’t lose the post. I also do not understand why it doesn’t cache unsubmitted posts (aka drafts) locally as well as online.

The main thing I can tell you to do about it is to look into some sort of form saving extension, e.g. Typio Form Recovery. It would at least allow you to right click in the box and say “Recover this field”.

I use it to so I don’t ever lose what I’ve typed in a crash.