24 - Season 3, Episode 18, 6:00AM - 7:00AM (SPOILERS- Sunday night episode!)

Ditto.
Also, for the first time in any season of 24, I’m not excited at all over seeing the next episode. This is just getting ridiculous.

He is facing somewhat unique circumstances.

But he has no plan, no way to find or stop this guy. At this point CTU has no idea what to do.

In those kinds of circumstances, you don’t kill agents just because the guy told you to, just to buy a little time.

But this decision is no worse than his last one, which was to cover up a murder that he didn’t take part in, just so he doesn’t have to face the ‘political consequences’. Any honorable President would simply accept that bringing his evil ex-wife into the situation showed outrageously bad judgement, and take his lumps for her actions. The guy’s not fit to hold office.

I thought they might give Chapelle one of those CIA fake death pills that lower your body temp 20 degrees or so and put you into a state of suspended animation. Then they stick a transmitter on him, which leads them directly to Saunders. But it’s kind of hard to fake a bloody hole in your head.

24 is really good this season. Not only did Jack kill Nina and Chapelle in cold blood but they are offing 1/3 of those innocent guests in the hotel in a most painful way. While this is all embellished for TV, 24 has a certain ring of what might happen in real circumstances that few other shows do.

Aw, c’mon! He’s no worse that Bush. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Was anyone else even a little bit disappointed in Chappelle when he was unable to shoot himself and spare Jack the guilt of having to do it? Also, I wonder why they didn’t give Chappelle one of those suicide pills instead.

Good to see that Kim will finally be doing something other than shuffling papers.

Interesting idea…

Actually yes, he’s much worse than President Bush…if Palmer were a real person, he would definitely be the worst and most corrupt president in history. He’s a walking affirmation of the saying “the road to hell is paved with good intentions.”

Put me in the “oh shit!” sayers with that last scene. Yet another silent bumper clock, same respect they gave to Mason last season when he walked out of CTU to “go home and die.” Thought it was good to see Chappelle not turn all heroic at the end. I thought he might turn the gun on Jack and Jack wind up having to kill Chappelle the non-gangland style.

Saunders sure has a lot of security guarding his answering machine. Vid cameras, armed guards…it must be a really good one, the most I have for my big screen TV is a surge protector.

I think Michelle is officially in the clear. Not so much as a nose bleed while everyone else around her is hacking up their respective lungs. Speaking of, these people are wimps. The virus took Gael out in, what, two hours? I’d go through two hours of coughing and bleeding a bit in order to spend as much time as possible with my loved one before I died.

Much as I hate to say it…impeach Palmer. Though I don’t care for his competition either.

Something I’ve been wondering. I saw a similar discussion about the West Wing. Where does real-life history stop and 24 history begin? Was Clinton the last president before Palmer? IRL, the Dept of Homeland Security was created after 9/11, right? So apparently, though it was never discussed, the WTC was destroyed in the 24-verse as well. Unless the DHS was created in response to the nuclear bomb in season 2. Regardless, Palmer has a terible track record when it comes to America getting attacked.

Why haven’t they demanded something in exchange for each action they take? Say something at a press conference = One canister turned over. Shoot Chappelle = 2 canisters turned over.

At this point, they are no less at risk than they were a few hours ago, despite having caved in to every demand so far.

Meh, I figured the last thread of reality left when Jack actually flatlined, was brought back, had a heart attack, and then did one of the most strenuous ass-whuppin’s I’ve ever seen.

And like others have said before, does heroin withdrawal only last about 9 hours? And wasn’t there a baby somewhere? And Tony’s looking pretty good considering how life-threatening his surgery was a couple of hours ago.

I’m willing to suspend my disbelief because I’m still having fun with it all :slight_smile:

Ex-freaking-zactly. It’s not only that Palmer has corrupted the presidency and the nation’s security by giving in to terrorist demands, it’s also that he hasn’t gotten a DAMN THING in return.

I’m not reading this thread! Lalalalalalalalalala!

But I did want to jump in here and thank Mr. McClure for starting the thread. Well done, man. The 24-Club salutes you.

I wondered about six of Saunders’ henchmen going down to protect an answering machine myself. We also got the see Chase sneaking in past security cameras that Saunders was monitoring. My wife says that Saunders must be in the same building. Either way, it would seem that he has a lot of folks to do his bidding. Beyond that…

“Oh shit! Jack really shot Chappelle!”

Holy flirking snit! He really shot him! I honestly didn’t think Chappelle would end up dead. I figured Jack had something planned. And Chappelle’s comment, “My legs are shaking.” goes on my list of Top Ten 24 lines, right up there with “Find me a hacksaw”. It was all in the delivery of the line, with a mixture of surprise and resignation, as if he just at that moment realized it was all over with. I guess when Jack says he’s all out of ideas, then you know your number is up.
As far as suspending disbelief–I suspended that a long time ago when Kim managed to get her foot caught in a bear trap, of all things. A bear trap!

Your right. That’s almost as crazy as having your brother as the Attorney General. :smiley:

This show still has its balls. Damn. “Get on your knees.” Rough. And Chapelle getting an hour to just stew in the fact that Jack will ice him if need be. Oddly enough, it didn’t seem like Jack was that reluctant to kill him. After all, over the years, Chapelle has gotten in Jack’s way over and over again. When he pulled the helicopter back last year, he damn near got everyone in LA killed by that bomb. There were so many moments when Jack could have said things in a more understanding way. But he was just brutal. “We need to get you down there just in case, pal. Cause if it don’t work out, I’m killing you. Not that it bugs me that much.”

And America isn’t negotiating with anyone. As Saunders said, they are doing what they are told. And not for nothing, but do you think that Palmer saying “No, I won’t give in to this demand!” and then millions and millions of people getting killed painfully (within 40 hours) would be a less evil decision? No way. If the option is between one non-civilian casualty and millions and millions of innocent casualties, well, that’s no choice at all. The show is about tough decisions. There is no way out for Palmer at the moment. He must choose the lesser of evils to buy time. While what happened was a fucked up assasination and a travesty, it pales in comparison to the idea of 5 million people being killed. If the president of the real world ever has to decide between killing one government agent or allowing WMDs to ravage the country, well, then that soldier better die. It’s not happy, it’s not cool, but it is a no brainer. The needs of the many must always outweigh the needs of the few. While Palmer fucked up the whole Sherry thing, I can’t hold this decision against him.

What really is interesting is how far Jack has gone. He never once seemed to think twice about whether he would do it or not. I now feel that Jack isn’t really a government agent per se, rather, he is a government assasin. He was to assasinate Drazen. He assasinated the guy cuffed to a chair last year (Get me a hacksaw), he assasinated Chapelle. The man is as cold-blooded as can be, but for all of the right reasons. He truly understands that the lives of the many are always more important than any one life. Unfortunately, in this fucked up world, we will always need people willing to make those horrible decisions to protect us. Life’s a bitch.

The hotel stuff was hard to watch. The moans of all those people as Michelle explained the deal really fucked with me. This show is hard core, and their street cred is through the roof right now. This is the best (and hardest to watch) season so far. I wonder how everyone at CTU will feel about Jack now that he has iced Chapelle. Maybe they’ll all stop questioning his orders and giving him so much back talk. On the upside it looks like Chloe and Jack are both no longer in trouble! Chloe still needs to get iced anyway. . .

Chase is such a bitch when it comes to many things, but he sure is good to have in a gun fight. I liked his silencer attack quite a bit. But his “Dammit!” when he found out he had found nothing was laughable. And the way he yelled at Chapelle just made me want to smack him. You’d think that a bullet in the hand would have helped him to see the value of following orders without question when he doesn’t know the whole score, but apparently not.

This show kills it. Best show on TV. Best show ever. Best season yet. Jack Bauer Power Hour no holds barred in top form. Life is good. And while it sucked to have to wait all week, the fact that I only have to wait 2 days for the next episode is kind of cool . . .

DaLovin’ Dj

Anyone else think the musical score was movie quality? The entrance to the helicopter pad and the attack on the apartment had me thinking movie.

Totally. The swelling music with the door swinging open to the arrival of dawn was intense. This was probably one of the top 3 episodes. Perfect in every way. I would say the final episode of Season 1 was the best, the first episode of Season 2 was the second best, and last night and the episode where he killed Nina are neck and neck for third place. . .

It’s funny, because to me it’s a no-brainer the other way. If Palmer wouldn’t have killed Chappelle, Saunders would have released some of the virus and millions would have died. I certainly understand that. However, by killing Chappelle, Palmer didn’t get anything but a little more time. Saunders is still planning on killing people. Millions of people. And so far, Chappelle is one of the only agents who has gotten near his trail. With more time, maybe they could have tracked him down, maybe not soon enough to stop the first attack, but maybe in time for the second, third, and so on.

What’s to stop Saunders from making his next demand “Shut down CTU and execute all its agents”? Sure, he could do it, but then would have no hope whatsoever at stopping any futher threats (which of course are assured in this case).

I gave up on expecting the show to to be realistic a long time ago. I mean, is Palmer ever going to even visit the White House? It’s like he works in some generic office or something.

What I wonder also is why didn’t Saunders ask for a dead Jack Bauer instead? Doesn’t he figure that they will continue Chapelle’s line of investigation since he’s obviously hit a nerve. Doesn’t that make more sense? Oh yes, that’s right. This stuff doesn’t have to make sense, and I don’t even care if it does. It’s great fun with lots of character that I love to hate, and one or two that I like. I’m not about to miss any eps.