24: Season 5: Episode 8 (2:00pm - 3:00pm)

Definitely not a Lumina; I was thinking Buick or Oldsmobile (both which should have had steering locks) but I’ll check the DVR in the morning and get back to you.

Speculation: I’m still thinking there’s another inside man at the Whitehouse West. Now I’m thinking it’s the SS agent. Secret Service people are supposed to be seen and not heard right? So what’s with the SS agent in charge of FLOTUS asking so many questions?

Nitpick: Let me get this right. Ivan Terrorist is right across the street monitoring the scene, and nobody thinks to set up a perimeter a couple of blocks back from the potential Nerve Gas Showdown with the terrorist? Nobody looks at the scene and sees three people, one with binoculars, sitting in a truck, and find that a tad suspicious? P.S. he drove right by Jack and Curtis’ car, so why was he using Binocs? Oh and what is up with that garage door opener turned cell phone. I was sure it was some kind of detonator. I mean just what was the live terrorist going to tell CTU: “I swear they were right here an hour ago”

Nerve gas can’t hurt dead men.

Jack’s already died twice.

The CTU perimeter is back. Gurenteed that once one is set up, the bad guys are sure to escape.

I was suprised. I half expected badger to blow up the building as soon as the CTU agents rushed inside.

No, no, no. Only the chief bad guy slips thru the CTU perimeter. CTU field agents are expert at capturing or killing everyone except the one guy they need.

Badger = Yellow Tie Guy? If so, me too.

I thought this was an excellent episode… I really liked the tough choices that the people had to make, and that fact that the usually-very-upright first lady wimped out, which seemed realistic.

Currently dangling plot threads:
-Audrey getting ahold of Kim
-Lynn getting mugged

At first, I was disappointed in Jack for not taking the one guy’s gun away after the chip “didn’t work” and kneecapping the other guy to interrogate him. But then I thought about it, and he was probably ready to sacrifice himself to keep his cover. He tried to convince them it wasn’t a setup, so they’d feel safe heading back to Badger, and CTU could still follow them.

We didn’t even see little love slave this time, I think she’s served her purpose and will go hang out with Behrooz, never to be seen or heard from again.

It’s actually a satellite phone, that’s pretty much what they look like with that thick antenna. I’ve used one before. CTU mentioned it earlier as well, as the reason why they couldn’t track him by his calls.

Gee, what a surprise, the terrorist kills himself when he finds out he’s been followed. That never happens.

The actor played “Badger” on Firefly as well as the Undead Serial Killer Doctor Whats-His-Name on Medium.

A couple of “huh?” moments from last night.

a. Jack is handcuffed five feet away from a container of lethal nerve gas that’s about to open. The terrorists take the time out from their busy day to shoot him.

b. When the fleeing terrorist reports that Jack has killed his buddy and shot at him, I swear that the bossman says “Why did he do it?”. Oh…I don’t know, maybe because you kidnapped him, knocked him out and were going to kill him?
I still don’t understand the terrorist’s fixation on getting the release codes right for the canisters. The high tech dispersal technique seems to be – opening and letting the gas out. Which could easily be accomplished by some C4 and a car remote.

I guess they just don’t make nerve gas like they used to. I thought that most nerve gasses would also work through the skin, rendering the gas masks rather useless.

As we were watching the episode, I said to Ms. D_Odds that FLOTUS’ aide is a mole. That’s my prediction and I will stand by it for the next 16 hours, or until she (FLOTUS aide) dies, whichever comes first.

I was thinking that as well. But it’s a TV show, and “sentox” isn’t real, so we’ll just have to believe that it only works through inhalation.

So Lynn casually accepts gassing a mall with 800-900 people?

Methinks Samwise spent too much time in Mordor. Sauron’s arm is long indeed…

My “Huh” moment would be when CTU didn’t bother notifying the POTUS more than a couple of minutes before the terrorists released the nerve gas. Why didn’t they, oh, I don’t know, give the President a call as soon as they realized the terrorists in the van had a canister with them?

Also thought they could have come up with a slightly better plan than letting 800 people be gassed just to have a chance to find the other canisters.

Also, why didn’t they turn on the handy-dandy terrorist tracking device as soon as the terrorist disappeared into the crowd?

And as a side effect it appears to make one spit up Russian dressing.

Apparently the special effects people blew their whole budget on cool L.E.D. displays inside the canisters. When it was supposed to be “opening” it looked really jerky and hokey. Not to mention that these canisters don’t seem to have much in the way of dispersal abilities. I was expecting much more of a spray than a waft.

Good thought. . . especially since she never blabbed that Walt (the Dead Guy) was the one who made her tell where FLOTUS had hidden the incriminating phone transcript.

My “huh” moment was when every last person in the know was waiting for the POTUS to make such an important decision. It’s not like the guy has a reputation for clear and decisive action. The final straw was when Logan asked Mike for advice, and Mike just said “It’s your decision, Mr. President.” Mike, you realize that if you just flip a coin, you’d have a 50% chance of making a better decision, right? Now is not the time to teach the President a lesson in growing a spine.

Not to hijack the thread, but I need some advice on committing a crime: If I want to steal a car, I pull off the panel under the steering column, right? And then a batch of wires will fall out, and two will be conveniently available and stripped? A yellow one and a red one? So, touch them together to start the car?

Rescuing the little girl seemed way contrived. As in, what a convenient way to show us that crazy Jack still cares.

Outstanding.

I made the same comment to Mrs. Rancid. She’s been given too much face time not to have something up her sleeve.

I thought this episode was the worst of the season so far. Too many obvious turns, and all the drama with Audrey and Samwise was over the top.

I almost turned it off at this point. It is too late to try to convince the namby-pambies that Jack has a soft side. It isn’t necessary and he could have been saving the world. Poor little girl. Maybe he was thinking of Kim the time she almost puked after wolfing down the strawberries. Maybe he was winded from holding his breath all that long.

In any event, a waste of 24 valuable minutes. (I suspect that had to add that bit in to stretch it so we were left with the cliff-hanger.)

Anyone else think that Jack is pretty spry for a guy who’s been knocked out and has a few cracked ribs? Did we forget about the cracked ribs, screenwriters? You think there’d be a few winces and goddamns as Jack fights terrorists and rescues little girls.