24: Season 6: Episodes 8-9 (1:00pm - 3:00pm)

Ok, now about Papa Bauer. He’s made it quite clear at almost every opportunity that he wants to make VERY sure that his involvement in the grand scheme is not known. Heck, he killed his own son just to prevent the possibility that he’d tell Jack that dad was the mastermind.

So then, when the daughter in law is going to lead Jack to the General’s house, what does he do? He just calls her and makes it very plain that he’s the evil genuis. He can plan this whole elaborate scheme, but he can’t think to, I dunno, maybe call the general and tell him to get out? Or maybe have one of his henchman call the daughter in law and say, “We’ve got your son and father-in-law, do was we say or they die!” And when the daughter in law says, “How do I know you really have them?”, Papa Bauer gets on the phone and says, “Please, do whatever they say, they’ve got a gun at your son’s head!”

Sheesh.

Yep, just Kumar.

And Bherooz’s girlfriend.

But the advisor’s daughter? We don’t know. We can assume she was killed, but it was neither explicit nor onscreen.

How about Behrooz? Certainly he didn’t come to a good end?

[QUOTE=D_Odds]
How about Behrooz? Certainly he didn’t come to a good end?
[/QUOTE]
He was returned to CTU as arranged in a deleted scene, I believe.

[QUOTE=Roadfood]
So then, when the daughter in law is going to lead Jack to the General’s house, what does he do? He just calls her and makes it very plain that he’s the evil genuis. He can plan this whole elaborate scheme, but he can’t think to, I dunno, maybe call the general and tell him to get out? Or maybe have one of his henchman call the daughter in law and say, “We’ve got your son and father-in-law, do was we say or they die!” And when the daughter in law says, “How do I know you really have them?”, Papa Bauer gets on the phone and says, “Please, do whatever they say, they’ve got a gun at your son’s head!”
[/QUOTE]

I dunno, but if I got this right, I don’t think that Papa Bauer knows where this general is, and if he finds out, he wants him killed. I think that the idea behind what he did was to kill Jack (and the mom) so that CTU doesn’t find the general first, take him alive, and make him talk.

[QUOTE=tdn]
Larry Biscuit
[/QUOTE]

Is this what we’re calling him? I can’t see him as anyone but Janosz from Ghostbusters II.

Another dead child in 24 was the mentally unstable daughter of the female CTU director from season 3 or 4. Maia? Gaia? Something like that.

[QUOTE=interface2x]
He was returned to CTU as arranged in a deleted scene, I believe.
[/QUOTE]
So then I was right! :cool:

[QUOTE=Gangster Octopus]
So would I be correct in assuming the rest of the season is going to be: 1) Find the nukes but with very little to go on; 2) somehow or other some valuable peice of information is discovered (e.g. we got this fragment of an email off of the hard drive, we overheard a phone conversation, I followed my husband to this house); 3) Vital piece of information leads to the whereabouts of the “bad guys”; 4) Jack rushes to wherever just in the nick of time to i) save somebody and ii) stop one of the bombs; and 5) Fayad escapes through the perimeter; and 6) Goto step one until all nukes are disposed of.
[/QUOTE]

But following the general scheme of the previous seasons there has to be an even bigger plot that they don’t know about yet. The terrorists have already set off a nuke without the world ending, so I am going to go out on a limb and say that Papa Bauer is using a tractor beam to pull a moderately sized asteroid towards Washington.

[QUOTE=Baracus]
But following the general scheme of the previous seasons there has to be an even bigger plot that they don’t know about yet. The terrorists have already set off a nuke without the world ending, so I am going to go out on a limb and say that Papa Bauer is using a tractor beam to pull a moderately sized asteroid towards Washington.
[/QUOTE]

Does Jack have oil rig drilling experience?

:smack: Why even bother asking - of course he does! If not, Chloe will just upload a protocol and everything will be fine.

I have to agree with Baracus. The nuke threat will be resolved around hours 12-15, then the real threats will have to be dealt with.

I’m waiting for President Palmer to name Jack vice-president. 24, day 7, we’ll have President Bauer (have to come as a mid-term appointee, because he’d never survive an election with his family history). Bonus points if, just before the announcement, at a joint session of Congress presided over by the President, all of Congress and the president are blown up. Well, bonus points and a lawsuit, that is.

[QUOTE=Winston Bongo]
Ah, but if you watch closely, you’ll see that Pop had one of those little Universal Phone Scrambler Devices that bad guys on 24 always use when they want to make incriminating phone calls. He also used the official CTU Mole Shadowy Corner of Secrecy (akin to *Get Smart’s * Cone of Silence) to ensure that none of the dozens of CTU agents in the vicinity heard what he was saying or even came within 50 feet of him.

[/QUOTE]

I didn’t even see the episode I honestly LOLed.

If wasn’t for the fact that Jack and/or Chloe will need the MSCoS at some point CTU could improve security immensly by emilinating blind hallways and the like.

Brian

[QUOTE=MaxTheVool]
Another dead child in 24 was the mentally unstable daughter of the female CTU director from season 3 or 4. Maia? Gaia? Something like that.
[/QUOTE]

Well dayum. For a show that never kills children, they seem to be racking up quite a list. I suppose that little Megan Matheson was beheaded sometime in season 3 when I missed a few episodes.

So some kids are indeed killed off.

And yet somehow, Kim Bauer manages to survive.

[QUOTE=zoog]
I dunno, but if I got this right, I don’t think that Papa Bauer knows where this general is, and if he finds out, he wants him killed. I think that the idea behind what he did was to kill Jack (and the mom) so that CTU doesn’t find the general first, take him alive, and make him talk.
[/QUOTE]
Ok, hadn’t thought of that, but still, he was stupid. One little slip from the girl to tip off Jack, and Papa’s cover would be blown. Having a henchman do the calling would leave Papa in the clear, no matter what happened. I’m just pointing out, since this has just never happened on 24 before, that a character who was otherwise really smart did something really dumb.

Hey, has it ever gone the other way? Has there ever been a character who started out really dumb and then did something smart? I thought maybe they were going to do that with Jack’s, er, Graem’s son when he confronted gramps about lying to him. For a very fleeting moment, I thought the kid was going to say, “You’re working with the terrorists” or something like that. But no, it was just about his dad. Ho hum.

[QUOTE=D_Odds]
Does Jack have oil rig drilling experience?

:smack: Why even bother asking - of course he does! If not, Chloe will just upload a protocol and everything will be fine.

I have to agree with Baracus. The nuke threat will be resolved around hours 12-15, then the real threats will have to be dealt with.

I’m waiting for President Palmer to name Jack vice-president. 24, day 7, we’ll have President Bauer (have to come as a mid-term appointee, because he’d never survive an election with his family history). Bonus points if, just before the announcement, at a joint session of Congress presided over by the President, all of Congress and the president are blown up. Well, bonus points and a lawsuit, that is.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think he does. Wasn’t Jack working at an oil field between seasons 4 and 5, while living undercover to hide from the Chinese?

[QUOTE=StarvingButStrong]
I test that it’s working by arming a bomb with a three minute countdown??? Inside a city where the traffic is all screwed up by people terrorized by the other bomb going off, what, three hours ago?? How far do I think I can reliably get in three minutes???
[/quote]

Well, technically the 3 minutes was what Chloe quoted to Jack after the commercial break, which was after Fayed got away. So the bomb countdown was probably closer to… oh… 10 minutes. Which would clearly give Fayed enough 24-time to get to the other side of L.A… (even on foot. :smiley: )

Right – if he’s so smart to write such a program this fast, you think he’d be able to at least sneak a trojan horse into it, something to muck up the works. Maybe make Fayed’s little device reboot Windows every time he tried to press “Detonate”.

Wow – seriously good point!

Kim, addressing the board: “I think it’s time to diversify. We should get into new areas… like… lip gloss!”

[QUOTE=tdn]
And what was up with SIL? I would have been all like “I understand, ‘Susan.’ Oombye, ‘Susan.’ Hey Jack, that was your father. He has George Mich – er, Josh, and is going to kill him if I tell you what I’m telling you. It’s a trap. You can deal with it, right?”
[/QUOTE]

Yep. Further proof that every other character (besides Jack) in the 24-world is as smart as a box of rocks.

Rule #1: Bad guy threatens to do something evil to your loved ones unless you help set up Jack… Best option? TELL JACK, DAMMIT!

Right. I don’t get the impression at all that Papa Bauer is actually working with the terrorists, or is in on their plot or anything. So in that regard (if I’m right), he would not be “the evil mastermind” behind it all. So far, it mostly looks like his primary goal is to keep himself and his company absolved of any connection or blame for the attacks. He definitely ordered his people to find the Russian general first, and kill him – because he knows the guy could implicate his company as being involved in the whole suitcase nuke sale.

He doesn’t know what house the Russkies are at – he’s just trying to set up Jack now, because he doesn’t want CTU finding Gredenko first.

[QUOTE=MaxTheVool]
Another dead child in 24 was the mentally unstable daughter of the female CTU director from season 3 or 4. Maia? Gaia? Something like that.
[/QUOTE]

Well, technically she was 18, so I guess she was of legal killing age. Not sure if we can count her as a child death or not?

But there is Janet York, Kim’s friend in season 1 – when the two girls were kidnapped. I don’t recall how old they were at the time, but I think they were still in high school. And I don’t believe Janet survived the day.

[QUOTE=Monstre]
Yep. Further proof that every other character (besides Jack) in the 24-world is as smart as a box of rocks.

Right. I don’t get the impression at all that Papa Bauer is actually working with the terrorists, or is in on their plot or anything. So in that regard (if I’m right), he would not be “the evil mastermind” behind it all. So far, it mostly looks like his primary goal is to keep himself and his company absolved of any connection or blame for the attacks. He definitely ordered his people to find the Russian general first, and kill him – because he knows the guy could implicate his company as being involved in the whole suitcase nuke sale.

He doesn’t know what house the Russkies are at – he’s just trying to set up Jack now, because he doesn’t want CTU finding Gredenko first.
[/QUOTE]
Ok, then the “smart as a box of rocks” rule must apply to him as well. He’s willing to personally kill his own son . . . Just to save his company’s reputation?!?!?

[QUOTE=Roadfood]
Ok, then the “smart as a box of rocks” rule must apply to him as well. He’s willing to personally kill his own son . . . Just to save his company’s reputation?!?!?
[/QUOTE]

That seems less a problem with intelligence and more a problem with being a psychopathic nutcase. Dude’s not only willing to kill his son, but his grandson, his son’s wife, and pretty much anybody else who is or isn’t related to him – as long as it keeps him from being implicated in any involvement with the people who are doing the terror attacks.

Athough it was really more the victims of threats that I was referring to, whose intelligence I’m taking for granite, so to speak… :wink: The people who would end up a lot better off if they would just go by the simple rule: “Tell Jack.”