7 Jan 2021 and beyond - the aftermath of the storming of the Capitol

Well, I’m guessing they probably agreed all along but “seditious conspiracy” requires a stronger case to pursue, which takes time, plus they’ve been busy prosecuting all the casual tourists trespassers and vandals as the low-hanging fruit.

Yeah, could be.

And… “some”?!?

How the hell was he allowed to just up and leave? Clamp the fool into a chair, put a muzzle on him, and force him to say until the judge excuses him.

" Tim Boughner , 41, of Romeo, appeared via video for his hearing before U.S. Magistrate Judge Zia Faruqui on Wednesday. "

Bit difficult to restrain him over a video link.

Also, he has a right, not a duty, to appear at the hearing. If he voluntarily waives that right, it’s his choice. The hearing continued without him. He lost the opportunity to instruct his legal representative. His choice, his fault.

He up and left to go back to his cell to eat crappy food and play cards with his new loves. He is throwing in the towel.

He is playing the long game, waiting until the sheeple wake up and acknowledge that he is a Big Damn Hero.

Florida:

Kentucky:

This is hilarious:

People who had stormed the Capitol, called “asking whether there was a lost and found because they forgot their phone there, or they left their purse or what have you,” Rep. Jamie Raskin told Insider. The staffers passed on the calls to law enforcement. “The officers quickly got on the phone and said, yeah, just give us your name, your address, your social, you know, and we’ll tie up those loose ends.”

If I was their lawyer, I would argue that this showed that they had insufficient mental capacity to know what a crime is, and ask that they be released back to their group home.

Delaware Man:

That Slate article, about the rioters who called the Capitol asking for the lost and found, linked to one from Insider in which Rep Jamie Raskin said, “But what’s so fascinating to me about that there really were people who felt as if they had been summoned to Washington by the president. And when they were told that they were trespassing and invading the Capitol, they said the president invited them to be there. They didn’t have any kind of subtle understanding of the separation of powers.”

Some of them didn’t have any subtle understanding of how to use a flush toilet.

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

:smiley:

How did I miss this? That’s like 36 hours of schadenfreude I missed out on!

Let’s go to the quarry and throw stuff down there!

Beau has a video about this logic:

Delaware Man
Delaware Man
Delaware Man fights Capitol Man
If he wins, does he get jailed?
And does he know how bad he’s failed?
Delaware Man

< accordion solo >

Got ticketed for speeding. Fortunately, my lawyer says I can plead it down to the lesser charge of attempting to overthrow the federal government.

(As seen on Twitter.)

Hey @JohnT – how did your insurrection debate go last week?

Went well!

I posted the link above on the groups forum, so the moderators were prepared for this, lol. It’s not the first time I passed out something like this, and they actually appreciate it.

Anyway, I printed out 10, put them in clear plastic binders, got there, ordered my food (literally cannot remember right now), was enthusiastically greeted with a number of catcalls about “I didn’t know there was homework”, etc, lol.

It happened to be the moderators last day at this, so the meeting was loose and the topic kind of rambled, no big deal - we did relitigate the 2016 Dem primary for about 7 feisty minutes, that’s for sure. But it opened on the Insurrection, the mod gave the floor to me, told me I had five minutes, I set my timer (on my phone) and went.

If you remember the document above, I bolded particular points which I did specifically for this moment, when I would orally review the doc. Didn’t want to read it, of course, didn’t want to stare at it, just wanted my bullet points highlighted and ready to go at a glance. So I did that, focusing most of the four minutes on the numbered points, skipped the day entirely, spent 30 seconds noting that this community tracked this starting on November 9th, we started a “January 6th breaking news” thread on January 5th, and closed it out by referring to the top of the document: “Trump told us in 2016 he would not accept a loss. We watched him not accept a loss in 2020 and 2021. Believe him when he says who he is… and that’s my five minutes”, I close a few seconds before my phone starts to beep.

Toastmasters training does pay off.

So does being on the Dope for 21 years: These people think I did an amazing amount of research and writing, to me, it was just an extended SDMB post, and by no means my most complicated or “researchy” one. Thanks, y’all.

Anyway, like I said, the debate was kinda all over the place - after that, nobody was going to take the opposite tack, and if there was a Trump supporter in the room (about 15 people), they did not show their heads. I tend not to constantly participate, maybe adding a comment every 10 or so minutes, and I do this consciously because I can bulldoze my way to shutting you up, and winning is not the goal here.

Except when the question is “was that thing we predicted and watched in real time, ‘real’?” That one, I’m gonna dunk on some heads.

The group (partial). The woman to my right (unpictured) and myself were the only ones to wear a mask. The blonde woman on the far right of one of the pictures is Kate, and she does come to win. She’s my favorite of the group.

Imgur

Imgur

Good to hear – thanks for applying the Dope IRL to fight ignorance!