A Charitable MMP

Last Friday was jeans day at work. Every year on the first Friday in October, work has a benefit for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. For a $5 donation, you get a pin and are able to wear jeans. (I get Hawkeyeop one too, whether he wants one or not.) The first time I heard the term “Breast Cancer” I was probably 10 years old or so. I didn’t know what the term meant, but I had the feeling that I was going to have that some day. I’m 28 now, and I know what it means, but I still can’t get rid of that feeling.

After work that day, I had an appointment to get my hair cut.  The last time I got my hair cut was more than two years ago.  Each time I get it cut, I have at least 10 inches taken/chopped/hacked off--the minimum donation required by Locks of Love.  Sometime in the next days (or months, I'm a procrastinator after all) I'll mail it off to their office in Florida.  The first time I donated, I had decided to have a lot of hair cut off because I just wanted a change.  It works pretty well for me in general because by the time I’m ready to have it cut off, it’s almost long enough to donate anyway.

After I graduated college, I was pretty depressed. I just couldn’t find a job. I was over qualified or under qualified. I knew I had to do something big and drastic, but I had no idea what. Then there was Katrina, so I signed up to volunteer with the Red Cross.
I spent a few weeks helping to run a group that took hot meals to people without power. I saw the best and worst of people and the organization.

My group lived in the church where we based the operation out of. We slept in Sunday School classrooms, I think there were 10 women in that one room. Some wonderful parishioners let us come to their house to shower. We also used the gym at an abandoned school–no one was allowed to go by themselves to that place. It was spooky. There were also awful people. Some were rude, threatening even. Some of our guys were kicked out of a town while trying to pass out food to people in a parking lot; the people there just didn’t want us around.

The Red Cross can be an amazing group. It mobilizes people from all over the country to step in to help whenever there’s a disaster. But it’s far from perfect. We were to receive 4 semi trailers of needed food. When it got to us, we found it spoiled, no good. Someone didn’t set the refrigeration unit on the trailer to a cold enough temperature. Thousands of dollars in food wasted.

There are so many good causes out there.  So, Mumpers, I want to know what you do, have you done or do you want to do for charity?  What organizations are worth your time, stuff or money?

P.S. Thank you for reading my first thread.

W00t! First!

The Hurricanes Booster Club dos a food drive for the N.C. Food Bank every year. The Knights of Columbus also raise money for various organizations, and my church sponsors a Guatemalan orphanage.

Nice OP mousie. Skiffman and I have donated each donated to Locks of Love, as well as doing a lot of volunteer work with the Salvation Army. I also donate to Lupus research, our local Humane Society, and to Canine Alopecia, which my favorite breed has a tendency toward. Again, a good topic to kick off the new week!

I am so behind with what is going on with everyone. My best to everyone, I hope that we are all enjoying Autumn. I went for a drive today with a friend and we were snowed on (first snow of the year, fricken yippee skippee) and we also watched a big bear ramble along a river bank, and then he plunged in and began fishing. I forgot my camera, so no photos, but we are going to go back out bear watching, so perhaps there will be photos soon.

On another note, I am taking my #3 daughter and flying down home for three weeks. Visiting with my mom and dad is going to be fabulous, and showing my kid where I grew up is going to be a lot of fun. I’ll spend some time with my grandmother, who just turned 89, I will be going to the cemetery to say my goodbyes to my grandpa, and then I am going to have a visit with my bio-dad and stepmother. The latter has me quite tense, the fact is I do have “daddy issues”, the predominant one being rejection, so…we’ll see how that goes. I am going to call my aunt in Oregon as she told me recently that if I come down she will come up to visit, and she will make for an excellent referee. All in all, I am excited about the trip. My kid will get to pick blackberries in my parent’s back yard, apples at a friend’s house, and we are taking her to a pumpkin field to let her pick out her own pumpkin. She has never seen any of the above growing in real life, and she is pretty excited about the trip as well. I am planning a trip with The Son in the Spring.

I wish a good week for everyone, and I will be checking in from the Lower 48 this week!

Ta!

On preview, you only beat me 'cuz you had a shorter post doggio, darn it! :stuck_out_tongue:

:stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, here are the pics of the hair if anyone is interested :wink:

Old Hair (from a week ago tonight)

And New Hair

snaps wet towel across doggio’s nekkid moon

Ha! Thought you’d escaped me, eh? Bwahahahahahaha!

Interesting topic there, mousie! I was working for T-Mobile when Katrina hit and we got a lot of calls from people trying to find out if their relatives had made calls on their cell phones and suchlike. It was frustrating, because confidentiality didn’t allow us to say anything. We did what we could, though–I had a doctor from Mississippi who was down in NOLA volunteering with the Red Cross and he kept having his service cut off for excessive overages–he had a regional plan and every time he used his phone he’d get charged roaming. I told him not to worry about it, I’d fix it, so I put him onto a national plan to get rid of the roaming charges, well over $500 by the time I changed it, then checked his account every day to add bonus minutes until I could tell by his usage that he was back in his home state. I must’ve given that guy well over 2000 bonus minutes all told, then changed him back to his own plan when he got home and made sure his contract didn’t get extended. All of this was in no way a part of what we were allowed to do, but I really didn’t give a crap–I couldn’t do much, but I could make sure this one guy didn’t get jacked over while he was doing the right thing.

Regular charities–I sponsor the grandkid whenever he does his walks/runs/bikes for various causes and since he’d pretty athletic it tends to cost me a bit. When I worked in a convenience store we had one of those fundraisers where you talk the customers into buying little paper cartoons and hanging them all over the store–my coworkers and I got into the spirit of the thing and our store collected about $2500 for a kids cancer charity. I had the most–$800 and some odd. That was fun.

I’d like to do more, and as I get older I find new opportunities to help out when I can. I’d like to work with teenagers in trouble, that’s one of my “win the lottery” plans, to start a business (probably a restaurant) and hire homeless and troubled kids to teach them how to survive in the job market. Maybe someday…

Great OP, Mousie! Good to remember and mention the things we and others do for each other!

I really don’t have any time to “give,” so unfortunately all I (we) can give is money… We donate to two (animal) humane societies (and all 3 of our animals were originally strays,) to the national Women’s League, the Cancer Prevention Society and to one of the “No to Drugs” non-profit-organization. We also keep our National Parks’ subscription up to date, although that’s hardly a donation, really, since most years the fees we have waived when visiting national parks more than cover the subscription charge.

We’ve also been known to donate money, and even some time, to very specific political campaigns (where we thought the opposition was especially anti-liberal or anti-minorities,) but prefer not to do this on a regular basis – doesn’t really count as “volunteering” in the sense we’re talking about here. At least I can say that I have never missed an opportunity to vote in our national or local elections.

And of course I try to remember to give blood at least once a year. And both hold Organ Donor’s cards (mine with a handwritten caveat that in case I, er, become a donor, my organs should only be given to people who have themselves agreed to donate their own, if and when their time comes.)

Still, we all know who wins this thread… (Bobbio, I’m’a-lookin’ at you! :))

Happy Monday, everyone.

Those of you complaining (or gloating) that it’s cold/wet where they are – prove your willingness to share – send some over here!

Hey lunch, I would happily send you some snow, but I think it would be simply warm water by the time you received it! :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, duh! You’ve got to chuck it over by the polar route – up across the pole, and over Scandinavia. Of course shipping it across Asia will get it melted! :slight_smile:

It appears that all manner of things get “heated up” a bit when in your vicinity! :stuck_out_tongue:

Speaking of which…:slight_smile: (Old, but good, chestnut.)

Great OP, Mousie! And good Monday morning to all. Good to see you, kai, though sorry to hear that you’re getting snow already.

I too am bad about being able to give of my time–I’d like to but it always seems like there is something preventing me from doing so. I do give money, though, through the CFC (Combined Federal Campaign). The CFC runs every year and in fact is gearing up to start for 2008; I know this because my boss just volunteered me to be the key worker for my office suite! LOL Oh well, I’m a good one, I guess. The good thing about CFC is that they provide you with a lot of information about the charities that are part of it, including info on how much of their funding is spent on administrative costs and how much actually goes to those who need the help. My usual charities are MDA (Muscular Dystrophy; two cousins had it and died very young due to complications from it–this was back in the 60s and 70s)–believe it or not, Jerry Lewis and the Labor Day telethon have really made a difference in finding a cure for MD or at least funding a great deal of research on MD. I also give to a local hospice; the hospice in Delaware took excellent care of my Mom when she was dying. I try to give to some international charity as well, which varies from year to year. And the SHARE program, a Catholic charities food program that I also participate in.

I’m up early and caffeinated, so am ready to leave for work shortly. Have a great day all. :slight_smile:

Good Mornin’ Y’all! Up and caffienatin’. Had a good night’s sleep.

I usually donate to Lights of Love as well as the Humane Society. Also, my church does a lot of community outreach so I do stuff through that. Plus I donate all my in decent shape old clothes to a local mission that actually gives them to the men stayin’ there rather than resell ‘em. I was givin’ all that stuff to another mission until I found out they were resellin’ the clothes even after they said the men stayin’ at the mission would get the clothes. Ok, so, once I give it away I guess it’s not my business what happens, but I was told one thing and they did another so I stopped makin’ any kinds of donations. I don’t like bein’ lied too.

Great OP mousie! Your hair looks great too. My youngest niece donated hair to Locks of Love when she had her long hair cut short a couple of years ago. I was proud of her for that.

Ok, off to check out some other stuff.

Later Y’all!

Well, being extremely low on time and funds, my volunteer activities are limited. Of course I told you all about our dinners at the Ronald McDonald House, but that’s pretty much all I do anymore. Several years ago before I loathed the idea of grocery shopping I used to be a ‘grocery getter’ for Mobile Meals. I shopped for one couple for several years until they both passed away and then another lady for several months after that. I certainly did enjoy it, but I was terribly sad when the elderly people passed away.

So that’s all for me for now.

I’m off to work from TVLand pretty soon. I had no lunches until about 8:30 last night when somebody called in.

Mousie, I LOVE your new haircut!

Morning! Nice OP, mmousie. We don’t do anything big in the way of charities, because of not having a lot of money, but I buy the local homeless newspaper (put out by the homeless, and they get a small fee to sell it), and sometimes give baked stuff the the ones in the area. They’re mostly friendly and I chat with them.

Pretty good night, which is a good beginning to my birthday. Good lord. I’m thirty. :smiley:

Last night was a disaster, so bad that I’ll probably only work one or two more shifts. Work itself was fine, but Nat pitched a huge fit, cried for three hours (until I called in someone to cover (Driving Husband, to whom I owe a lot of cake)), throwing up twice. So we’re thinking my small amount of pay isn’t worth one or two terrible nights a week. It’s been a month, Nat’s not adjusting, I think I’ll either have to wait until Nat’s older or just not work for a few years (since we anticipate having more kids).

Anyway. It’s morning, and it was fine once I got here.

I don’t do much, or at least not as much as I should. Between the moving often, and the fact that often it means living in countries where Spanish isn’t the primary language, there isn’t a lot I can do for voluntary work other than, say, put in some pages at Project Gutenberg (which I used to but have had abandoned for ages since a traumatic internetlessness which lasted about half a year).

I give to some charities; the first place where I go to look for “pretty presents,” calendars and so forth is always the local fairtrade store. Now that I’ll be moving into a “semifurnished” I’ll need a couple of tables and some light shelves: I’m planning on getting them from charity shops if I can.
Had a letter from Middlebro which was telegraphic but juicy. The factory from which I jumped into consulting has been closed down. On one hand that’s bad; on the other, not such a bad run for a factory which had been under threat of closing for 40 years. Since it’s a pretty small town, I’m sure I’ll be getting news of many of those people. There were two of my coworkers there who are friends with Middlebro; the SiL and sister of another one are friends with Littlebro; one of the foremen is the childhood best friend of a friend of mine (who laughed his head off when he found out I was his friend’s “nemesis”, as the friend didn’t remember me from when I used to babysit them and had been trying to pull one on me for several months, failing miserably).

Middlebro himself is going back to work on Wednesday. The Niece has four states, right now: asleep, feeding, awake and gassy. For the first three she’s a doll, plus this time around they know that if the baby isn’t fussing that’s a Good Thing. The Nephew is very happy with his sister, he finds her a bit small but knows that all babies are small and sleep a lot at first. He’s already started school and will have the same teacher for the next three years; Mom has met the teacher and likes him. The Nephew likes the teacher too and has figured out that he’s not as “grown up” as he’d been thinking he was. The school is full of people more grown up than him and, what’s more, it isn’t just a matter of “folk more or less my size” and “adults,” there’s a whole scale of in-between which he suspects he’s going to go through.

Weather prediction for today, as per one of Middlebro’s peons that he ran into yesterday (Middlebro is a construction foreman and “peón” is an actual job title): “it will rain, or maybe it will just be windy, or neither. And there will be clouds or not.” We’re trying to decide whether he’s a philosopher or just very good at covering all the bases.

Well, at least my truck came home this weekend. When I gave it to Scott to use, it had a tank and a half of gas in it, @ $4 a gallon. It came back bone dry, and in desperate need of oil, too. :mad:

Humph. The Ma element seems dead-on accurate… can’t say the same for Wo though…

Here’s my favorite:

"The heaviest element known to science is managerium.

The element has no protons or electrons but has a nucleus composed of one neutron, two vice-neutrons, five assistant vice-neutrons, 25 pro vice-neutrons and 125 assistant pro vice-neutrons all going round in circles.

Managerium has a half-life of three years at which time it does not decay but
institutes a series of reviews leading to reorganization. Its molecules are held together by means of the exchange of tiny particles known as morons."

Up caffeinated, off to work. Sigh.

Cool OP, mousie. I’ll answer the charity part when I get back from work (I’m supposed to be out the door already).

Just came in to say:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LiLi!!!

GT