A Mild Rant: Please quit commenting on my appearance.

I apologize- I was addressing a similar situation that I’d encountered IRL. I wasnt’ trying to put words in your mouth. I wasn’t talking about some hypothetical encounter between you and I.
I said, " PEOPLE can get their egos stroked elsewhere". You even used that quote. I never said you’re a “conceited snot-box”. In fact, I did not attack you in any way at all.

I did say that I am glad you feel good about yourself. And, I am. There’s nothing wrong with being confident.

Right - and I said “a few posters”. You don’t happen to be one of them. :slight_smile:

I just find it a tad irritating that when a larger poster complains that a complete stranger has made a comment about their physique, posters jump right in to condemn the stranger in question, curse him, his family and his dog, and suggest that such a person obviously felates goats, or felches camels.

However, when I (or anyone else) comments that “You’re so SKINNY” comments are equally unwanted and hurtful, people suggest that the only reason the thread was started was to brag about being skinny, as opposed to any actual discomfort or hurt feelings on behalf of the OP - in this case, me.

Oh. I didn’t take that inference at all !!! I didn’t think you’d started the thread for anything like that reason.

Friends?

:slight_smile:

AB-SO-SMURF-LY! :smiley:

I finally had to say something similar to my dad. I said, “If you’re going to comment on my weight every time I’m here, I’m going to stop visiting.” And he was always being complimentary, but it still bugged the shit out of me.

It’s none of his damn business, and it’s no one else’s either.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Why isn’t there an emoticon for stark terror???
:stuck_out_tongue:

What? You don’t like the smurfs?

uh, thanks for noticin’ me…

:smiley:

Don’t despair, tevya. I had lost over 20 before anyone said anything, but then they told me that they had noticed a while ago, but were nervous about saying anything.

But now I get the annoying, “You’re not still on that diet, are you?” As a matter of fact, I’m on the maintenance portion, where I expect to stay forever. But the implication is clearly now that I’m too thin. And I’m not. My weight has been stable for eight weeks at an appropriate level, dead center in the recommended BMI range (my waistline has inexplicably gotten smaller during the same period, but it’s not all that small).

I’ve lost 35 pounds, and I know that people are going to notice. But my absolute favorite way of noticing is, “Hey, you look great!” My least favorite was the woman who said, “Look at you - you’re half the person that you were!” :rolleyes: Let’s use some common sense here, people!

I understand completely, alice. I’ve never understood how people are so incredibly rude without even considering that what they’re saying may be outside the pale.

The only time I comment on someone’s appearance is when they’re a) a friend and b) been focusing on an aspect of their appearance for a while. For example, one of my best friends has been on a weight loss program for a while now and is very proud of the success she has made. When she stopped over last night, I told her she looked great. Not, “You’ve dropped what, 25 pounds?” just “You look great.”

I love the Smurfs. I do. I love Blue Man Group better :smiley:

The fact that you rant shows you do care on some level.

Huh? What exactly are you talking about?

Do I care when people make ill-timed, inappropriate remarks about my appearance? Well, yah - I did start this thread after all.

Also, in the OP I said that I care about my appearance. In fact…

Let’s see here…

Yep - that seems quite clear.

So Quintas, exactly, what was the point you were trying to make?

That you don’t read posts?
That you talk out of your ass?
That you shoot off your mouth without making sure your brain is loaded?

Congratulations - you’ve succeeded with each of these.

Alice,

You obviously work hard on our physical appearance every day, as I do. We do this because if you feel like you look good, then you really will have the confidence that you do look that good. (this may be where the bitchy stuff comes in) But dont let piffy comments interfere. Ladies, we get up every morning and head to corporate america with our best faces on. But that is not enough, you have at least a pleasant face (meaning not scowling or frowning) in order to avoid the bitchy or expensive tag. You can do everything in the world to have the perfect makeup , hair, outfit, but if your face does not have sunshine in it - it will be deemed bitchy or expensive. Long story short, try smiling a little more and i bet it will get rid of the bitchiness tag

Do you have a problem handling compliments?? All you have to do is smile and say, “Thankyou”!! Is that so hard?

And you intimate that you like excercising and working out, dressing nicely, watching your figure, etc, but you don’t want people noticing these things?? Or at the very least, getting acknowledgment of the fact that you “look good”? That’s an oxymoron! Let’s be honest here!! You have an ulterior motive for looking good and working at it, whether you want to admit it to yourself, or not! Everyone has a need for acceptance, approval, and appreciation, and keeping in shape is just one way of getting those needs satisfied from others.

I suggest you just relax the next time someone compliments you and don’t be so sensitive!! Afterall, if you’re really sef-confident and self-assured in yourself, then it wouldn’t matter what anybody else would say to you and/or about you! Just smile and say, “Thankyou!” 8^)

And you know that I don’t smile, how exactly?

And you know that I don’t smile, how exactly?
I was just trying to give some friendly advice. If you do smile, my bad. Maybe it isn’t the smiling thats the problem, maybe its the attitude.

Ok, if can you explain how “Are you anorexic?” or “You look bitchy” are compliments, I’ll make and effort to be more accommodating, ummm-K?

Yes, about my appearance, if I’m not mistaken.

Nothing wrong with my attitude, I just don’t like you. :slight_smile:

You know, as well as anyone else does, that those are NOT compliments, but an attempt to belittle you!! And it’s because they don’t like themselves to begin with! You have to be “little” before you can belittle someone!! If someone does say those things to you, you may wonder about their ulterior motives for doing so, and try analyzing them, but why bother?!?! The important thing is how YOU feel about yourself!!

My original advice still applies to these types of people who feel they must comment on your looks, for whatever reasons: just smile and say, “Thankyou”! I’m sure that response would tick them off more than any other reaction on your part would. If you choose to respond to such unflattering comments negatively, then you are showing these people that you are very sensitive and insecure about yourself, and that they “win” in a sense, for “making” you feel bad! You have given them “power” to manipulate YOUR feelings…to get angry or whatever! So, to counteract that, I would just smile to whoever makes these comments, say “Thanks”, and be on your way!!

If the particular person CONTINUES to make the same comments, then I would simply ask the person if he/she is more interested in HARRASSING you, and if so, would they like for you to bring it up with the proper authorities!