A virtual gift-giving MMP

I LOVE that site. I can’t afford to buy anything right now, what with the remodel project and everyone who wants their cut, but I LOVE that site

Monday Dec 12, we need to be at the hospital at 6AM, with surgery scheduled for 7:30. Daughter will stay at our house to tend to our critters and we’ll spend the night before at my mom’s house, since it’s a much shorter drive to the hospital than from here. Dare I hope that the 5th time’s the charm?

We’ll be going to Baltimore again on Tues for some pre-op work. If recovery goes like his last surgery, he could be discharged on the 14th or 15th. Guess I need to make sure I have a bunch of knitting to keep me occupied in the waiting area.

The hospital in Baltimore is a good one, even if the parking there sucks. I’d even be allowed to spend the night in his room, but I’m thinking it’ll be better for both of us if I get real sleep at Mom’s. So here we go again…

:DIT’S SNOWING!:smiley:

Very tiny flakes and not sticking, but IT’S SNOWING!

Ok fine, I’ll do some non-shopping in a bit.

Just saw the eye doc. Pressures are good, holding off the family eye curse, optic nerve - check, doing fine.

Ordered some new glasses while I was there, for those days when I don’t feel like sticking plastic in my eyes.

Good thoughts starting NOW!

Yes, many good thoughts headed your way!

I am currently caffeinated, exercised, and putting off my shower. The puppy desperately needs park time. My bedroom and bathroom are hideous wrecks and need cleaning. I have about five errands to run, and I haven’t been able to find any new shoes.

I need shoes. Last year, I bought two pairs of Sketchers, and they are very nearly dead. I’ve been wearing that particular style of Sketcher for nearly five years now. It’s time for a change. Also, my sneakers are wearing out. So, with money in hand, I found a $50 pair of Fila five-finger shoes, which, while not the Vibram variety, still kick butt. I am currently breaking them in.

But for daily wear, I had no luck yesterday. I am on a budget. I stopped at Payless first and was delighted to see shoes I actually liked - cute designs, manageable heels, and colors that wouldn’t clash with everything I own. Except, when I started trying them on, the size 8s were too small, and the size 8 1/2s were too big. Grrrr! So, then I went to Target, where the selection was completely picked over. Nothing in size 8 or 8 1/2 at all. sigh I shouldn’t be surprised, really. Not after Black Friday. I will probably have to wait to the weekend to see if there are any sales/new inventory.

Thanks for the good thoughts. It helps that we know the hospital and the surgeon so it’s one less unknown to deal with.

Quiche will be ready in about 20 minutes - crab, onion, spinach, and swiss - it smells yummerrific! Plus I’ll have leftovers for breakfast tomorrow. Yay!

Pretend shopping is hard work! Who knew a budget and practicality would make the perfect gift more difficult to find? I’ll down a few dozen pixi stix whilst contemplating. What Swampy? Wait to open? That’s unpossible!

It’s official-- my freezer is at capacity. Thanksgiving and bagel hoarding have it packed like a wench’s costume at RenFaire.

Somebody kick-start me shampooing the guest room. I cleaned the kitchen and need some opinions. Is oven cleaner safe to use on coookie sheets? I use sil-mats but grease still gets baked on, so I sprayed 'em with cleaner. I ran them through the washer, but d’you think they’re okay?

Also, be careful with those disposable toilet bowl cleaners! The blue gunk got on my hands while cleaning the sink (before the bowl o’course) and now my right hand looks pale blue and corpse-like.

Pretend shopping is hard work! Who knew a budget and practicality would make the perfect gift more difficult to find? I’ll down a few dozen pixi stix whilst contemplating. What Swampy? Wait to open? That’s unpossible!

It’s official-- my freezer is at capacity. Thanksgiving and bagel hoarding have it packed like a wench’s costume at RenFaire.

Somebody kick-start me shampooing the guest room. I cleaned the kitchen and need some opinions. Is oven cleaner safe to use on coookie sheets? I use sil-mats but grease still gets baked on, so I sprayed 'em with cleaner. I ran them through the washer, but d’you think they’re okay?

Also, be careful with those disposable toilet bowl cleaners! The blue gunk got on my hands while cleaning the sink (before the bowl o’course) and now my right hand looks pale blue and corpse-like.

Aaaand now I need a nap. And a Valium.

Dad came knocking on my bathroom door while I was showering. He was in the throes of a panic attack, but true to form, would not call it that. Because, dammit, he’s a man.

So, after I asked him to wait 30 seconds while I washed out the shampoo, dried off, and put clothes on, I spent the next hour taking his blood pressure, holding his hand, trying to get him to eat, assuring him that he would not be put in a home, and listening to him describe symptoms that pretty much read “Panic Attack: see also, stress, anxiety, and emasculating fear”.

Still haven’t heard back from Mom, which is weird, because she’ll usually answer a text in 10 minutes. Ran errands to get his prescription meds (including Xanax for . . . ANXIETY! But, he doesn’t have anxiety. Remember that.). Got groceries. Got some takeout lunch for myself, and have sat at the kitchen table for the last hour, keeping an ear open for Dad.

My day has been derailed, and I really want a nap.

On the plus side, it looks like I’ll have my first tutoring student shortly AND I may have an interview for part-time holiday work at Cost Plus World Market tomorrow. Yay!

Ashes, we should hang out. I henna’ed my hair two nights ago and must have made a really good batch, because the palms of my hands are orange as an Oompa Loompa. We’d make a great pair!

Howdy Y’all! Home. Tahrd. Sniffly. Sinusy. Ick. Made potato/corn chowder for dindin. Yum. Don’t feel like postin’ more right now.

As usual, the quiche was yummerrific! That’s all I’ve got.

Feel better, swampy! Altho I expect your “sick” is your conscience getting back at you for picking on me. :stuck_out_tongue:

OK, gift time:

For GT

Mooooooom and Daaaaaaaaad…

Spaz

Swampus

Rosie

A stocking stuffer for just about everyone.

I’ll do more later. I’s tahred.

I’ve been reading along, but haven’t had time to post.

AWESOME topic, FCM! And excellent gift choice for me; I would love to have a little greenhouse. Maybe in a future remodel.

I think I would go with some local items such as a selection of ice creams from here, or maybe something from Etsy Team Columbus. I happened to pick up an the Holiday Gift Guide issue of Columbus Alive on the bus today and they had some really cool stuff, too. Unsurprisingly, I liked the gardeners’ page. Also, the under $20 page has some cool stuff.

I’ll come back with specific ideas for Mumpers later in the week.

Guess I should get some stuff done.

Hugs all!

GT

I don’t remember ever having been to Uncommon Goods. What a cool site.

Some local presents, take your pick:
Chocolate from Schurra’s Fine Confections
Beer at the Tied House Brewery
Yarn, fabric, needles and notions, etc. from my favorite yarn shop
Gold from the Golden State

I know it’s generic, but something is sure to please.

I spent today manually updating records. The records have to be done manually because. That’s it, that’s the reason, because. 7 clicks per record, with an occasional bonus 8th click. No data entry. Just…clicking. All. Day. Long. And I get to do it again tomorrow!

I went to Michaels tonight to buy decorations for the office tree trimming party on Friday. It took forever, but I got almost everything on the list. I couldn’t find any inexpensive stockings that didn’t look cheap, so we’ll personalize glass ornaments instead. The ornaments are nicer and less likely to be eaten by mice in storage, anyway.

Attention Echod:**!!יום הולדת שמח

“Come when you can! When you can!”

OK, so on one hand she’s said “when you can” and on the other she sounds like someone’s dying, so what’s gotten into my mother?

Ah. Two unopenable easy-open cans, I see…

As soon as I get the patents all lined up and a maquiladora to build them, any Dopers get a handsome android (their own notions of handsome) specializing in such things as killing roaches, taking june bugs outside, changing the cat litter and opening unopenable easy-open cans.

** :slight_smile: !!תודה רבה, ורד** (dear Og, coding a Right-to-Left message is a mess!!)

Your new phone does all this? :dubious: Can it make coffee, too? :smiley:

Have been very barely following the proceedings, will try to come up with some ideas for presents. Sometime. Real soon. Maybe even before Christmas…

Good Mornin’ Y’all! Up and caffienatin’. YAWN ‘Tis 44 degrees Amurrkin out with a predicted high of 56. Actin’ like late Fall even!

BBBobbio :eek: Snakes!!!111 :eek:

I feel somewhat better, still sinusy. Every freakin’ time the weather changes I get this. GRRRRRR…

And now this…

HAAAPPPYYY BIIIRRRTTTHHHDDDAAAYYY TOOOOOO YOUUUUUU!!!
HAAAPPPYYY BIIIRRRTTTHHHDDDAAAYYY DEEEAAARRR SSSPPPEEECCCIIIAAALLL111!!!

Now I must seek out more caffiene plus feed rumbly tummy. Then, alas, irk purtification must once again commence. Home visits part of the day and paperirk the rest. Rah.

Happy Hump Day Y’all!

Happy Nooner Day!!!

I managed to snooze till 6, and I considered going back under the covers after dealing with the critters, but here I am instead. **FCD **has left for work, I’ve had some quiche and caffeine, and I have no idea what’s in store for today. Speaking of store, I may run to WalMart - it shouldn’t be too crazy on a Weds morning, right?

There are some really cool gift ideas floating around here. I still need to come up with the $10 goofy exchange contribution for our Christmas craziness - I’m going to try some small local places. Altho $10 worth of TP is both useful and hilarious! :smiley:

I’ll figure it out. Happy Wednesday!!