Adding Links to New Posts

There was an implication in a recent moderator post that it is helpful when making a new post to add links. How does one do this?

Can you link to the Moderator Post, I think context would help.
I don’t know what exactly you mean in this case.

I’ll try to remember in which thread you said this. I thought you wrote something along the lines of “some posters do their own links” “which is very helpful”. Perhaps I misunderstood you? One wants to help.

I said something like that about tags recently. I wonder if that was the post.

One possibility:

Stronger possibility:

Yeah, the last couple lines of the second post. Not completely sure how posters add their own tags.

When you create a thread, you pick the category, the box after the category is where you add the tag.

Type Title: I’m looking to take a long weekend in Long Island
Category: In My Humble Opinionoptional tag:vacation-travel

When you type a few letters of the tag, like vac it will prompt you to select the existing tag, same with Category by the way.

If you mean adding a new tag to the SDMB, that is something only Mods can do. As we’re using them as cross forum sub-categories in makes sense to keep it to the Moderators.

If you mean creating the link all threads with a tag, explained in the first post I quoted.

Thanks, will give it a try.

Is there automatic tagging now as well? I just made a topic that mentions LotR and Tolkien as an example of something, and it got insta-tagged with “middle-earth” which is a little misleading. Not complaining, I guess, I was just surprised (as I don’t follow the tagging feature very closely).

I never used tags and the options tend to be very non-specific. I’ve been tagging my posts, or trying, and just keep plugging away until one sort of fits.

There is some auto-tagging. It appears to be 63 words or phrases at this point.
I cleared the tag in question you mentioned.

Note that you can remove the tags in a topic you created, at least you can shortly after making the thread. I created a thread in P&E that mentioned Trump but I did not expect the thread to be about him specifically, so after creating the thread I edited my OP and clicked the X next to the automatic Trump tag, and I was able to save it and the tag was gone. I assume that something like that falls under the same 15 minute edit window as everything else and if you wait longer you’ll need to contact a mod to change it (though I haven’t tested).