Again with the annoying commercials!

I’ll ask: why would a bulldog pull 100 tons in his lifetime? That what an Iams commercial asserts, as it shows a dog pulling a semi. What do bulldogs normally pull that would add up to 100 tons? Tug-a-war with an old sock wouldn’t do it.

I keep seeing one for some drug and they show this one guy, who is supposed to be an artist. His “art” is just flicking paint from his brush onto a canvas on the wall, and later he just sloshes the whole paint can at the canvas.

I know there have been artists in real life who did shit like that and their “paintings” sold for quite a bit.

But is that a thing now for a lot of artists? I see more and more commercials where that’s what the artist does–throws paint on a canvas.

I just find those commercials annoying.

[quote=“TheCuse, post:2246, topic:790089, full:true”]
I keep seeing one for some drug and they show this one guy, who is supposed to be an artist. His “art” is just flicking paint from his brush onto a canvas on the wall, and later he just sloshes the whole paint can at the canvas.

I know there have been artists in real life who did shit like that and their “paintings” sold for quite a bit.

But is that a thing now for a lot of artists? I see more and more commercials where that’s what the artist does–throws paint on a canvas.

I just find those commercials annoying.[/quote]

I thought about mentioning this one; that guy really bugs me. He’s got this really intense look on his face while he’s sizing up the canvas, supposedly envisioning his creation . . .and then he’s just chucks a can of paint at it. And he looks so satisfied.

^^Yeah! I’m like WTF?

Any creative endeavor portrayed in a commercial will be laughably wrong.

Because most ads end up being written or watered down by less-than-creative people. Now, if it was an ad shot by Spike Lee, they’d probably do the right thing. But most advertising for financial or pharmaceutical clients is approved by old guys in suits around a conference table:

“Now, we’ve got… an artist? Is he painting flowers in a vase? A portrait? Puppies?”
“I’m going to stop you there, JB, we can’t actually hire an artist. We don’t have the budget for anyone that can actually paint.”
“That’s okay. Let’s make him more…what’s that word?”
“…Creative?”
“That’s it, so, modern art. Like that crap that looks like someone just threw paint at a canvas…”
“Wait, JB, what did you say?”
“Throw paint…?”
“There’s our commercial!”

Those entire commercials irritate me, from the kid who cannot hold a trombone correctly to the woman dancing and flailing her arms about on a busy dance floor.

I give any actor in a pharmaceutical commercial a little slack. It’s not like they are portraying real life, but more like the producer is telling them “OK, go ahead and move the trombone like that 'cause it looks cool” and “alright, now just toss that can of paint in the air - action! - OK perfect!” and “just dance around with that tambourine”.

What would be more entertaining is if they showed people having some of the side-effects they are mentioning instead of showing all those happy people.

". . . and may I take this opportunity of emphasizing that there is no cannibalism in the British Navy. Absolutely none, and when I say none, I mean there is a certain amount, more than we are prepared to admit, but all new ratings are warned that if they wake up in the morning and find any toothmarks at all anywhere on their bodies, they’re to tell me immediately so that I can immediately take every measure to hush the whole thing up.”

“I abhor the implication that the Royal Navy is a haven for cannibalism. It is well known that we now have the problem relatively under control, and that it is the RAF who now suffer the most casualties in this area.”
- Letter from Capt. B.J. Smethicke in a white wine sauce, with shallots, mushrooms, and garlic

All of the people in those ads are supposedly real people.

That commercial is citing a specific bulldog. He’s a stunt dog, used for strength shows like pulling a semi. Just like those strength guys that pull a semi with their beard or hooks through their nipples or their testicles or whatever. Okay, I don’t know the latter exist.

I don’t know if this is a thing or not, but that commercial claims those people are not actors. So apparently there’s at least one young guy who tries to emulate the modern art masters or whatever.

“Drop it like it’s hot. Drop it like it’s ho O oOoOoOT”
The commercial for the Go Big Show featuring some Howdy Doody looking, yodeling girl. Makes me wish for a gong, or a man with a hook.

When I was in the Navy and we were deployed to Sicily, I was the payroll officer. I got to count a big box of money before, set up a table to exchange the cash for the paper checks, and count it all after to make sure I didn’t screw up. I had one senior sailor packing a hand gun to protect me and the money. This was 1983 as the Navy was transitioning from cash to direct deposit and not everyone was on board yet. What a tedious task - twice a month for 6 months. But everyone loved me on paydays!

Hey, that was my dad , forty years earlier than you. And in the Pacific, where he’d have to fly tiny little planes to tiny little islands. Some so small there were only a handful of Navy guys and he’d get to party with the indigenous tribes. Other islands, there was a full-blown base with a bar where half of that pay he was bringing would be immediately spent. As you said, everyone loved him on paydays.

There’s a series of commercials from the U.S. Forest Service that have been running very often. While I support what they’re trying to do-- get people to experience the outdoors more, the way they go about it is annoying.

One features a family that lives in a big city, carrying kayaks and struggling to fasten them to the front of a city bus while the bus driver looks on skeptically. Cut to the family riding the bus while the rest of the bus drivers look at them like they’re aliens. Cut to an outside shot of the bus and we see how the kayaks were attached-- all 3 kayaks are strapped to the top of the bus. How did they get up there? Where did the straps come from? Would a bus driver trying to keep a schedule really indulge all that? Finally they’re shown to be kayaking happily with the tagline “It’s a short drive from your neighborhood…to your naturehood.” Seems like not the best way to show how easy it is to get out and enjoy the outdoors.

Drug ads that exploit guilt in chronically sick people annoy me.

The idea is that if you have migraines, inflammatory bowel disease, major depression etc. you’ve got to be there for your family at all times, even if you feel like shit.

One example is the Humira ad showing a mom with ulcerative colitis getting up from her seat at her kid’s basketball game because she has to run to the can. Her snotty kid gazes over at the stands resentfully instead of paying attention to the game he’s playing in (“Gee, mom!”). Later she returns in time to see the little monster sink a jump shot (although he doesn’t look capable of getting more than a couple inches off the ground). All is well.

So remember, if you don’t drug up adequately, you’re failing your loved ones.

Who always have moderate to severe symptoms, never any mild ones.

and be sure to tell your doctor… wait - this is a prescription medicine that requires a doctor, shouldn’t they be asing/telling me? I’m too busy trying to control symptom X to remind him I might be alergic to the fucking medicine!

Any commercial where the tagline is supposed to be a reference to a swear I hate for whatever reason. Del Tacos current ad campaign is “Unfreshing-believable”, there’s a radio ad for oven french fries you don’t turn that’s tagline is “You won’t flipping believe it!” (And the entire ad is full of stuff like “These fries are flipping good!”) And of course the Smurfs movies tagline was infamously “Smurf Happens”.

Yep. I FUCKING hate that SHIT. If you want to imply it, have the FUCKING BALLS to say it, or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

That’s my reason. But frick me. What do I flippin’ know?

What irritates me about those commercials is “I have moderate-to-severe ________” Do real people ever say that? I can imagine people saying “I have moderate _______” or “I have severe _______” or “I have _______” or even the voiceover saying that the drug is for “mild-to-moderate” cases. But people don’t describe themselves that way. Every time I hear it, I cringe, because they’re using a non-relatable phrase to seem relatable.