Again with the annoying commercials!

Worked in advertising for decades, and taught it for a couple more.

It seems like my job was to constantly say “No! NO ONE would actually talk like that!” And I had to say that to rich clients, obstinate bosses, and “creative” writers.

Always thought I should open my own shop:

Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce McMann & Tate Advertising
" W h e r e • p e o p l e • t a l k • l i k e • r e a l • l i f e "

Working from home, I have the tv on in the next room for background noise and I guess not seeing it heightens my sense of hearing because it’s really triggering my misophonia. There’s a commercial for one of the weight loss programs and thirty times a day I have to hear some lady say “It doesn’t feel reshtricted” I can be concentrating on work, not notice what’s on tv but that pronunciation hits me like an icepick to the eardrum every time. :grimacing:

I laughed because I imagine this was entirely unintentional.

It was unintentional - I was in Naval Aviation in the days before and early days of women being allowed on ships, so, yeah. :wink:

amarinth, I’m with you all the way. Nobody describes their own case that way, with a giant ambiguity of how bad it is.

When I was in the Air Force I was stationed in Germany when I re-enlisted. I had to go to the base admin offices to re-enlist and get my reenlistment bonus, which, for my job description, in 1973, was $6000. They offered me a check, but I was going on vacation the very next day, and I needed some of the money to on vacation with. So they handed me $6000 in cash (in $20 bills). I had to carry that cash with me to the bank, which, fortunately, was right next door. But I never felt so vulnerable,

This commercial is currently airing ALL.THE.TIME in my area. If you live in Hy-Vee land, you’re probably being driven crazy by it too. I will never hear Madness’ “Our House” the same way again.

The junk removal service 1-800-Got-Junk has been running commercials like this one in which people seem amazed that a company hired to remove junk does exactly that.

Egads. “There was stuff here. It’s gone.”

And some of that “junk” looks perfectly good, like the first lady is throwing away a couple of functioning ladders and a huge plastic bucket used to hold the junk.

No wonder they want these people’s business. They get some cool shit out of it. Not bags of old newspapers and random jugs of mysterious chemicals.

Every time I hear that “Our House” music start up, I stop what I’m doing and look at the TV, thinking about what a nice song it is. Then it’s like “Oh, it’s another HyVee commercial” (kind of like Jim Rash Community - Brita sings saying “Oh, Brita’s in this?”). The first time I saw it I thought it looked really expensive to make, but now they’re updating it each week.

I guess it’s working - it made me look at the screen.

And books. That should be a crime.

Readers digest condensed books the exception, of course.

Speaking of misophonia (and Hy Vee ads) there’s one lately that makes me want to stab my eardrums. It’s a steak, on a grill, with the steak-cooking sound cranked up to eleven. And it’s not even what meat on a grill sounds like! It’s what meat in a frying pan sounds like. Grrr.

How does a little boy peeing his pants help sell automobiles?

I have no idea how a little boy peeing his pants helps sell automobiles, but I also have no idea which commercial you’re referring to.

There’s a commercial lately that totally angers me. I may have first seen it during the Super Bowl. Anyway, they’re selling a beverage, showing a lot of young people drinking it at poolside, and whenever someone drinks it, their mouth area turns into a small replica of their entire head. It makes no sense whatsoever. I believe the object of the commercial is to get the audience grossed out by the tiny heads, so they’ll go online and post about it, something something profit. And here I am posting about it, but at least I didn’t say the name of the product. Fuck those guys!

I like the actor John Goodman. I hate the commercial where a finger is poking something and the finger has the head, hair, face, and voice of John Goodman. Please make it stop!

It’s for the Hyundai Santa Fe, and it’s set to some classical music which I imagine is supposed to make it comical.

I envy you if you’ve not seen it, because I’m getting it ad nauseam where I live!

This drug commercial that defines depression as something like, “you’re just really bummed and you wish the socks would sort themselves.” :roll_eyes:
Okay, what should people take when they’re like, “Why are there socks? Why do I have to keep breathing?”

Remember: don’t take Trintellix if you’re allergic to Trintellix.

Unless you’re super depressed, and then maybe wash it down with lots of booze! Take that, sock pile!