Again with the annoying commercials!

But obviously, if it weren’t for [meds], they’d be so ashamed that they could never walk in a park, or play with their dog outside.

Really? How does your “Dry skin? Don’t stay under the covers all day! take Pro-oxy-mega-cyclin and be able to leave the house!” commercial message make ordinary people with dry skin feel?
(Anger at your company, I hope…)

I still hate those ads where the stupid guy tries to stop you from becoming your parents. Why? My Dad was awesome.

And there is a new SUV off road ad (I will not mention the brand) where the vehicle goes offroading= most of that isn’t too bad, but then they drive along a streambed, which is just WRONG.

Doug? You’re piloting the chopper, they’d also be on your six – which is BEHIND YOU!

The advertising on the local evening news is nothing but home improvement companies - remodeling, windows, siding, HVAC/plumbing, you name it, I’m sick of them all. But I want to give a special shout-out to that creepy-ass huckster selling gutter covers, with his beady eyes and fake folksy charm. If he wasn’t selling gutter covers he’d probably be a TV preacher or running for office. I can’t turn the channel fast enough when that dude comes on.

Doug is an idiot - so it is possible that this is an intentional error.

Agreed, The CG emu is the smart one.

I must be dumber than both of them because I have no idea what “on your six” means.

Behind you. 12 o’clock is straight ahead. Just think of an old time clock and the numbers. Three o’clock is to your right and so on.

D’oh! Of course :woman_facepalming: Thank you.

Yes. I think of the commercial in which he’s BBQing at home with his wife, Limu Emu, and its mate(?). He’s going on again about insurance and his wife says “Doug, can we talk about something other than work? It’s the weekend.” She says it with a distinct note of irritation, perhaps even desperation in her voice. She glances toward the emus, as if they could provide some backup or agreement with her, but they are non-verbal wild creatures who do not belong in a suburban backyard, and cannot help.

She clearly is wondering how she got to this place, keeping up a brave face, pretending to be a happy, “good wife”, when she feels trapped in a prison of utter, utter banality and meaninglessness. Once she thought Doug’s enthusiasm was infectious and assumed it applied to all aspects of life; but it wasn’t until after their wedding that she realized that his boundless enthusiasm only applied to life insurance, a commodity that may be a necessity of life but is a deadly boring subject to discuss for any length of time, let alone the length and depth to which Doug goes on about it. She thinks of her youth before she met Doug; her hopes and dreams for her future, all lost to her now, and despairs.

And, why the emus? They are disgusting creatures that shed feathers everywhere and shit over everything. They constantly get agitated by unexpected noises, and have strong potential for violence. Later on during that very backyard BBQ, an acorn fell from a tree onto the table, sending Limu Emu into a paroxysm of squawking and running in circles. Doug almost got his eyes pecked out trying to calm it down. What then, she thought, if that did happen? At least now she can dream of divorce or just running away. If he was blinded she’d feel obligated to care for him, and would truly be imprisoned in an endless future of mediocrity and hopelessness.

I wouldn’t mind so much if it was “our six” instead of “your six”. They’re both in the same imaginary chopper!

They should’ve had Doug imagining the emu piloting the chopper.

Is that the same gutter guy who thinks the plural of roof is “ROOVES”?

This post needs applause. It’s almost Tolstoy-ian.

Like in Top Gun, when Goose was always yelling “MiGs on our six!”, and Maverick keeps wondering why Irishmen are following them.

I’m not sure. He’s either with Leaf Guard or Leaf Filter. I can never keep them straight. Whichever one has the ads with people sitting on couches in their front yard (which I also hate), he’s the other one.

Another SUV ad starts with a series of high-end cars stuck in mud and spinning their wheels - a Lambo, a Bentley, a Jaguar (could be different models but you get the idea). The voice-over says “Think premium can’t be capable? Think again!” Then the new GMC goes cavorting through the wilderness.

Really? Your comparing a GMC truck to a freaking Lamborghini?? Seriously, get a grip.

Off-road capable Lambo.

:standing ovation:

:wave: :wave: :wave:

In addition, these vehicles are frequently shown driving on the beach, which is illegal in most areas, as well as at high speeds on dirt roads - unsafe. I would be willing to bet most of the vehicles being shown driving at high speeds over rough terrain and gravel are heavily damaged and in need of repair, or are just totaled after the shoot. No responsible off-roader would be going that fast anyway - what, exactly are they trying to convey?

Thanks! I was indeed going for a bit of a Tolstoy or Dostoevsky vibe.

I’m picturing the demographic for that watching a commercial on TV and thinking "Well, I’ll probably never go racing offroad, or drive on the beach, but wouldn’t it be cool to have a car that could…"