Amercian Idol 3/27-3/28

[QUOTE=Rilchiam]
If you mean Tami Gosnell, I didn’t get any nutty vibe from her.
[/QUOTE]

No, I don’t think it was Tami - I’m trying to find her name now because neither my husband nor I can remember!

Okay, I found her - Leslie Hunt gave off the “I’m slightly insane” vibe to us.

E.

[QUOTE=phungi]
is there a reference for this?
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it’s called google

3 second search result

[QUOTE=The Long Road]
Yeah, it’s called google

3 second search result
[/QUOTE]

Jeez,people are still making google remarks? I thought we were over that.

[QUOTE=Elza B]
Okay, I found her - Leslie Hunt gave off the “I’m slightly insane” vibe to us.
[/QUOTE]

Ugh, I hated her. Probably more than I hate Sanjaya, even.

[QUOTE=Duckster]
Many calls are coming in from overseas to keep Sanjaya not so much as to screw the system but to do it “for his people.”

[/QUOTE]

Not possible. Only Americans can vote.

Again, I haven’t seen all of AI this season, but wtf, Sanjaya (sp?) sounded fine this last episode, what’s with all the hate??? He carried the tune, remembered all the words, and had a screw you 'hawk, wth up with everyone?

[QUOTE=rockle]
I think it’s also because his head is very, very pale and his eyebrows are very, very dark. Daughtry had a bit of a tan, or something, but whatever it was, he never looked so white as to be almost phosphorescent, like Phil does. Plus, Daughtry had a much more “rounded” head, and not so much of a schwa-headed-alien-head shape.

I swear to God that Phil glows in the dark. It’s creepy.
[/QUOTE]

His head is the wrong shape for bald to work. He has no chin; he looks like Beaker. He has an overbite. He has big ears. He has a weak jaw line, which is the most important point; look at all the men make bald “work”: they tend to have a strong jawline, and normal sized ears.

He needs to know that just because Michael Jordan looks hot bald, does not mean that Phil Stacey will look hot bald. It just doesn’t work for every guy.

On Phil Stacey: It’s the shiny head, bulb shaped head and the sunken, dark-ringed eyeballs that makes him look— special.

On who I’d love to see mentoring: It’s the old fogey in me but I think Carole King would give fantastic advice and I LOOOOOVE her work.

On Sanjaya: He sings just fine, except too softly. He’s improved greatly in the I-can’t-hear-you department. Plus, he’s genuine. The scardy-cat and now, the fuck you attitude (well, as much of a fuck you attitude as his young and soft ass can generate) seems real to me.

And he just cracks me the hell up.

I slightly disagree. He CAN sing if he’s in a room with a few other people, like in his original audition, but now that he’s on the big stage, we see that he’s not cut out for performing in front of large audiences. The stage swallows him up.

[QUOTE=Rilchiam]

Hey, some of us are chubby chasers. :cool:
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I like my guys fluffy, too. :wink:

[QUOTE=xnylder]

Don’t give them any ideas :eek:

But seriously, if the producers are looking for a pop star to perform contemporary music they hope will be played on the Top-40 and/or contemporary Country radio stations, why on earth are they making them sing such old songs? I realize these singers should demonstrate some range but seriously, why should they have to prove they can perform in the musical styles of previous decades? No one’s going to hire them to sing Tony freaking Bennett. (One Michael Buble in the world is enough, thank you.) It would be like asking the contestants on Project Runway to design costumes for a biopic of Josephine Baker: Amusing to watch them struggle, perhaps, but ultimately irrelevant to the point of the show.
[/QUOTE]

You might appreciate Cowell’s frankness, speaking to the British press, in the interview I linked to above:

[QUOTE=Simon Cowell article in the Independent]
<Jennifer> Hudson will not be making a guest appearance on Idol any time soon, but, in the past two seasons, a host of big names have - including such distinguished musicians as Mary J Blige, Gwen Stefani and Prince. Has this lent the show some much-needed musical credibility?

“Oh, I don’t think it’s got anything to do with credibility,” says Cowell. “It’s got something to do with 25 million viewers. Trust me, with those numbers, we could be a cooking programme with a music slot and we’d get the same calibre of people.” Anyway, says Cowell, they’re not always such big stars. This week’s musical theme is, appropriately enough, the Sixties’ “British Invasion”, and joining Lulu as a guest star is Peter Noone, once of Herman’s Hermits.

“I don’t think the stars were begging us this week, somehow,” he giggles. “Yeah, we’ve been offered Beyoncé, Paul McCartney and J Lo, and we call asking: ‘But are Herman’s Hermits available?’”
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=scotandrsn]
You might appreciate Cowell’s frankness, speaking to the British press, in the interview I linked to above:
[/QUOTE]

Hmm. Simon’s attitude puzzles me even more, then. Does he mean to say that the ratings for the TV show are more important than album sales, and that the producers are choosing themes that will attract viewers rather than ones that make sense for the show’s concept? I generally respect Simon’s opinions, but this one leaves me at a loss. After all, this is a show based on Pop Idol, not Adult Contemporary Idol. And I really don’t see how using themes and mentors that will generally only be appreciated by an older audience can draw in younger viewers.

[QUOTE=Simon Cowell article in the Independent]
“I don’t think the stars were begging us this week, somehow,” he giggles. “Yeah, we’ve been offered Beyoncé, Paul McCartney and J Lo, and we call asking: ‘But are Herman’s Hermits available?’”
[/QUOTE]

But why run with a theme (British Invasion, in this case) that forces you to choose Herman’s Hermits over Beyoncé? If it’s not about “credibility”, why not choose themes that use the most popular current stars? And when you do choose such a theme (Gwen Stefani’s inspirations), why do you lead the contestants to sing the least current songs possible? It seems totally irrelevant, and I just don’t get it.

[QUOTE=Operation Ripper]
Again, I haven’t seen all of AI this season, but wtf, Sanjaya (sp?) sounded fine this last episode, what’s with all the hate??? He carried the tune, remembered all the words, and had a screw you 'hawk, wth up with everyone?
[/QUOTE]

Not so sure about that. There was one part, maybe 1/2 way through the song, when he went strangely silent for a couple beats. My wife and I were pretty surprised none of the judges commented on it, but then figured if you’re critiquing a car wreck, you don’t need to mention the scratch in the paint.

[QUOTE=xnylder]

But why run with a theme (British Invasion, in this case) that forces you to choose Herman’s Hermits over Beyoncé? If it’s not about “credibility”, why not choose themes that use the most popular current stars? And when you do choose such a theme (Gwen Stefani’s inspirations), why do you lead the contestants to sing the least current songs possible? It seems totally irrelevant, and I just don’t get it.
[/QUOTE]

New stuff just sucks. :wink:

–Julia, an old person

[QUOTE=xnylder]
But why run with a theme (British Invasion, in this case) that forces you to choose Herman’s Hermits over Beyoncé? If it’s not about “credibility”, why not choose themes that use the most popular current stars? And when you do choose such a theme (Gwen Stefani’s inspirations), why do you lead the contestants to sing the least current songs possible? It seems totally irrelevant, and I just don’t get it.
[/QUOTE]
I think it may be for the same reason I loved Jordin’s song last week but not this week. It It is difficult to sing a recent song and not be directly compared to the original, usually unfavorably. The “bad karaoke syndrome”.

Well, I don’t feel so bad about Chris S. getting voted off now and this kind confirms what some people felt was him not really trying.

Sorry this was on aol and I didn’t have time to search for another link, I need to get some work done.

[QUOTE=yoyodyne]
I think it may be for the same reason I loved Jordin’s song last week but not this week. It It is difficult to sing a recent song and not be directly compared to the original, usually unfavorably. The “bad karaoke syndrome”.
[/QUOTE]

I hadn’t thought of this angle…Good point. The judges will rag on people for any song, but I suppose choosing a recent one increases the risk of getting either “That sounds like a pale imitation” or “Dude, you should have stuck to the original.”

[QUOTE=Dung Beetle]
New stuff just sucks. :wink:

–Julia, an old person
[/QUOTE]

Worst.Season.Ever. :stuck_out_tongue:

What does he mean “Randy actually put her back” after she was voted off? Do the three judges have veto over the voting results?

[QUOTE=scotandrsn]
Just found a really fantastic behind the scenes article about the show. Simon’s planning to be OUT by the time his contract’s up in 2009.
[/QUOTE]
Great article! Sanjaya: “a criminally untalented singer”. :smiley:

Why doesn’t Idol realize that liking someone cute/pretty with an average voice over someone not as cute/pretty with a great voice is SOP by the US record buying public, especially those in Idol’s target range? Are there any famous US solo artists who are not attractive physically? Can you name one current unattractive solo artist who has had more than one or two hits? If vocal talent mattered, Pavorotti would be on the walls of 16 year old girls nationwide. Face it, today’s society is infatuated with hot people- period. If the Elephant Man came to life in 2007 and had the voice of an angel, how many records do you think he would sell? And goddamn Simon who has years experience signing acts, etc. should know this. If they are so set on it being the winner must be the best singer, restrict the voting to vocal coaches. Oh wait, but then the best singer would win, but ratings would drop because the public would be less interested if they weren’t voting, which might drop Simon’s salary.

I don’t know, Wee Bairn. Your point is generally valid, but there are some notable exceptions. Elton John, for example, ain’t exactly handsome and never was.