Anyone recall this classified ad from the Times?

I came in to apologize…I was the first one to view the OP. And then I was embarassed and didn’t leave an apology post when I left and saw the view count. Sorry.

Well, I suppose it’s decent of you to own up. I’ll just have to try harder in future.

In my personal opinion, everyone reading this thread, posters or not, owes it to the spirit of the thread to try their best to create a vacuous thread title about some banal subject and have some insipid opening sentences that will dull the senses of anybody who does a mouseover. Mouseovers don’t affect the view count, do they?

We need at least ONE thread that goes at least as long as it takes to get off the first page(s) with 0 Replies and 0 Views. And if we could have at least two such threads, we can start a new thread to monitor their progress to see how long they can go before somebody breaks down and at least views them.

Then as soon as six months has gone by, somebody can view the one that looks least interesting.

An exercise in nihilism!

Zeldar:

Great idea. But, as I have discovered, it’s harder than it seems. If it’s obviously pointless, everyone will see the joke. It needs to seem real, but uninvolving. Unfortunately, I’m feeling disheartened already, because I can’t think of anything better than jjimm’s Guadeloupe thread.

But if it worked, it’d bring the board down. Just think: thousands of threads, unread and unresponded to. Punk and Dadaism all in one. :smiley:

Well, NineToTheSky, at the time of this post you’ve had 23 Replies and 358 Views, which puts you almost halfway to a new page! This might turn into the counterpart to the Truly Great Threads thread.

Just to show that my heart is in the right place, I did a vanity search on Zeldar using the “at most 0 replies” option and sorted ascending on number of views. I got 15 hits. I decided not to go to each one to get linking data, but just to show how fitting (to my post above) my efforts have been, here are my 15 losers:

=============================================

Music credits for TV movie: Jesse Stone: Sea Change
Zeldar 05-23-2007 09:33 AM
by Zeldar 0 11 Cafe Society

IMDB Challenge: worse than Vampira?
Zeldar Today 08:33 AM
by Zeldar 0 17 Cafe Society

Origin of the expression “origin of the expression”
Zeldar 04-14-2007 11:05 AM
by Zeldar 0 23 Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Marian & Ray
Zeldar 06-01-2007 01:03 PM
by Zeldar 0 30 Cafe Society

Move a letter, make a new word – game
Zeldar 04-13-2007 08:32 AM
by Zeldar 0 39 Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Comedy fans: X-number of “basic” jokes?
Zeldar 06-24-2003 12:29 PM
by Zeldar 0 39 Cafe Society

Camp Stew, Burgoo, Brunswick Stew, etc.
Zeldar 02-24-2009 05:21 PM
by Zeldar 0 56 Cafe Society

Tony Powers - Don’t Nobody Move (This is a Heist)
Zeldar 02-06-2006 10:19 AM
by Zeldar 0 66 Cafe Society

Stalking the Wild Idea (original plot)
Zeldar 10-22-2003 11:33 AM
by Zeldar 0 74 Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Mystery Music from long ago
Zeldar 03-04-2007 09:14 AM
by Zeldar 0 83 Cafe Society

Word Pictures instead of Cartoons
Zeldar 08-09-2006 10:16 AM
by Zeldar 0 89 Cafe Society

Troglodytes
Zeldar 02-27-2009 12:15 PM
by Zeldar 0 117 In My Humble Opinion

Apropos of nothing
Zeldar 12-22-2005 11:42 AM
by Zeldar 0 140 Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

I wish somebody would start a thread about _________
Zeldar 07-18-2005 09:12 AM
by Zeldar 0 149 In My Humble Opinion

…and over on the flip side
Zeldar 08-06-2005 03:31 PM
by Zeldar 0 174 Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

=============================================

If anybody is up to the challenge, follow the steps I mentioned and post your own House of Shame candidates.

At the very least we need 51 replies to this thread!

Just thought of another wrinkle! At the time of this post, here’s the tally:

Who Posted?

Total Posts: 25

User Name Posts

NineToTheSky 9
Zeldar 9

mhendo 3

kittenblue 1
Bites When Provoked 1
Chez Guevara 1
jjimm 1

It would probably be a cheat to keep replying to your own thread just to pad its post count. Probably get it locked, too.

But, NineToTheSky, since you and I have accounted for 18 of the 25 posts, with only mhendo doing more than one, we might test the waters to see how high the tally can go. Besides, we might just be able to polish this turd into a true work of art. :smiley:

And speaking of turds, I got this in email just the other day:

That “Truly Great Threads” thread led me to a “Funniest Threads” thread which led to the Blimp thread. Which I read.

During Physics lecture.

That was bad. I think I may hate you now,and the rest of the lecture hall keeps looking at me funny.

So as not to let this thread perish before its time, I have thought of another challenge for the interested reader/poster.

Notwithstanding my post #25 above, and this one referenced in NineToTheSky’s OP link to “Thread titles that will have 0 replies and 0 views”, there must be some threads where the Replies count and the Views count are close to the same number or at least less than a 2-to-1 ratio. I have looked through the first 30 pages of hits on a search on my username and have yet to locate a shining example, but I’m sure there must be some out there.

I assume it’s impossible to have a case where there are more replies than views, or I can’t imagine anything short of a software malfunction that would permit such a thing. But there ought to be at least one case where both numbers had the same number of digits, or were otherwise closest in number.

One note of caution, though. If you do run across such a thread, just copy its data off the listing of threads rather than opening it to get its link info. Opening it would jack up the Views count and spoil your efforts in the process.

Any takers for such a treasure hunt?

Any other challenges for locating other types of Turkey Threads?

Compare the first sentence in Post # 25 with this update, taken at 8:13 AM Mar/10:

Anyone recall this classified ad from the Times?
NineToTheSky Today 08:13 AM
by Zeldar 27 553

Heading toward a doubling of the Views count in One Day!

I was a fool to believe the 0/25 was ever in contention for such a cherished honour. However, I recall when posting the OP that it was probably ahead of its time, so I now intend to bump the thread in the vain hope it is now so interesting that record numbers of reads and responses will make it the most popular thread in Board History.

Moving swiftly on, your post #25 is most thought provoking, at least to those of us inclined to be provoked by such thoughts. I am wondering which is more meritorious - the 0/11 or the 0/174. My money is on the latter. 174 people, or maybe fewer if some of them read it twice, read that OP and not one of them was moved to respond, whereas it is no great surprise for 11 posters not to have a single thought between them.

I am also curious to know what circumstances combine to attract 11 and 174 reads respectively to an unanswered OP. The 0/174 was posted on a Saturday, generally a slow day, but the penultimate entry on your list (0/149) was submitted on a Monday, generally a busy day on the boards, so posting time doesn’t seem to be a major factor regarding read counts. The thread titles concerned are unexciting enough (that’s a compliment) so I would like to know what is occurring to produce such disparate results.

As soon as I see it, I’ll assist in getting it to the top of the stack! Maybe it’s one where we can get Replies and Views into close tally. 1/1 ratio after the 0/25 ought not take more than 50 replies to get the numbers close. Just know this: If you read it, you MUST reply, even if it’s just to say “replied.”

By all means it’s the 0/174. That’s the mark of a Pure Turd!

That is baffling to a degree, but I write it off less to the time of day/week and more to a recognition of who started the thread! :wink:

Yo, Chez, when I decided it was worth the 5 minutes to locate your mystery thread, I was startled to see that your response rate is rather low in general:

=====================================================

Showing results 1 to 25 of 179 

Search took 0.07 seconds. Search: Threads Started By: Chez Guevara

US Congress Members - Second Homes
Chez Guevara 02-17-2009 04:55 PM
by Bijou Drains 8 308 General Questions

Looking For US News Video
Chez Guevara 02-05-2009 11:39 AM
by Chez Guevara 0 26 Cafe Society

When Neighbours Go Bad
Chez Guevara 01-27-2009 08:06 PM
by Bites When Provoked 43 2,873 The BBQ Pit

Subscription By Cheque
Chez Guevara 01-12-2009 02:09 PM
by SkipMagic 1 80 About This Message Board

Pulp Fiction - The Bonnie Situation
Chez Guevara 11-27-2008 06:46 PM
by FriarTed 22 1,347 Cafe Society

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (Spoilers)
Chez Guevara 11-25-2008 05:13 AM
by constantine 6 299 General Questions

The Philosophy of Vomiting - Poll (No TMI)
Chez Guevara 11-23-2008 11:50 AM
by MN_Maenad 19 612 In My Humble Opinion

Test
Chez Guevara 11-04-2008 05:33 PM
by yojimbo 1 49 About This Message Board

Politics in GQ
Chez Guevara 10-30-2008 09:43 PM
by Colibri 5 194 About This Message Board

Poll - Aristocracy v. Peasantry
Chez Guevara 10-16-2008 09:55 AM
by Capt. Ridley’s Shooting Party 5 127 In My Humble Opinion

Price Relationship - Crude Oil Versus Home Heating Oil
Chez Guevara 10-12-2008 09:37 AM
by Mycroft H. 2 70 General Questions

Old San Francisco Streetcars & Port de Sóller (Mallorca)
Chez Guevara 10-08-2008 02:50 PM
by Sandra Battye 8 202 General Questions

Murder Victim’s DNA on Sausage Eaten by Dog - Possible?
Chez Guevara 09-10-2008 07:49 PM
by scm1001 3 137 General Questions

British Interviewees on European TV
Chez Guevara 09-07-2008 01:47 PM
by Chez Guevara 4 353 General Questions

‘Sent For Retraining’
Chez Guevara 04-30-2008 03:55 PM
by muldoonthief 9 544 In My Humble Opinion

Fighting Ignorance Since 1973
Chez Guevara 04-28-2008 04:27 AM
by Chez Guevara 7 662 About This Message Board

Golf: The Majors & The Cut