Better Call Saul 2.06 "Bali Ha'i" 3/21/16

We had this argument in another thread. I think the cup trying to fit into the holder is Jimmy trying to fit into the job. The cup fit the holder in his old, personally owned, car perfectly. In the new, corporate supplied, car it doesn’t fit. The fact that the cup was a gift from Kim isn’t relevant.

At least that’s my interpretation. The cup is Jimmy, “World’s Second Best Lawyer”.

In this interpretation, Jimmy is now going to try to modify the job so he’ll fit better, just like he did with the car.

Not at another table. He was outside on the curb kissing his girlfriend goodbye, then the girlfriend gets in the car. We then see him enter the bar.

Yeah, that’s a safe bet.The entire “next time on” preview at the end of the show was all about Jimmy buying flashy Saul clothes and walking into his offices in a colorful suit.

I think that’s wrong. When Walt and Jesse have him in the desert, what is says is “are you guys with Ignacio?”, which doesn’t make it sound like he’s dead (assuming “Ignacio” is “Nacho”).

Edited to add: Never mind you’re right. Here’s the scene: [spoiler]Saul Goodman - YouTube

I also missed the mark kissing his SO goodbye, and wondered about Kim picking an innocent victim. I half expected Jimmy to call the scam off when he didn’t get the “scumbag” vibe from the guy.

I don’t understand why Kim is reluctant to take the job offer. Is it the ethical issue? Jimmy seems to genuinely want what’s best for the Sandpiper residents, and he didn’t object. (True, he’s not in a position to lecture anyone about their ethical duties, but he could have given voice to Kim’s misgivings without endorsing them.) And from a dramatic standpoint, they didn’t make it seem like a real conflict of interest. They had Kim bring it up only to have the other lawyer quickly and plausibly dismiss it, which is usually dramatic shorthand for “We know some audience members will be concerned about this, so we’re getting it out of the way. It’s not where we’re going.”

Vince Gilligan does love to subvert those dramatic shorthand tropes, but I don’t see the reason here. What does Kim think she owes HHM? Does she feel guilty about sticking up for Jimmy? Then why is she embracing his rebellious side? Is it just that she realizes that unlike Jimmy, she doesn’t know who she really is or what she wants?

I just had a thought for how this series could end.

I know we’re going to have at least another season, but it doesn’t matter how many more seasons we’ll have, along with seeing how Jimmy turns into Saul, how Mike continues into his progression into the crime of Albuquerque eventually connecting with Gus I’m sure we’ll find out the fates/futures for Chuck, Kim, HHM, etc…

Knowing how BB ended for it’s characters and seeing where Gene ends up, Gilligan isn’t knowing as a happy ending kind of guy. That being said…

I could see the final minutes of BCS ending back to the present, with Gene going through his day–to-day monotony at the Cinnabon, when stepping up to the counter is…
Kim.
And they live Happily ever after…:stuck_out_tongue:

She thinks that she owes them because they took her as a mail clerk, saw something in her and put her through law school.

I think that may be part of the reason Jimmy was reluctant to go along with the scheme. Kim doesn’t have Jimmy’s talent for picking marks.

That’s the way I read it, too.

I love the Billy Mays commercial that comes on when Mike turns on the TV. Billy Mays says you just slap it against the counter and chop–which is pretty much what Mike does to the guys in his place. (And which is what happens to a few people in Breaking Bad.)

Lots of good details in this one. IIRC, the late-night patriotic kitsch TV clip that Jimmy watches becomes part of a Saul Goodman commercial in Breaking Bad.

The brothers mouth “pop pop” as they make shooting motions at Kayle, after which Mike tells her to “listen to Pop Pop and get out of the pool.” Nice double meaning.

Good catch!

Actually, I got that wrong. One of the brothers just makes shooting gestures. It was my brain that said, “pop pop.” And Mike says, “Do what Pop Pop says”. The towel wrapped around Kaylee looks kind of like a swaddling cloth and kind of like a shroud, though.

There’s kind of an interesting parallel, I think, between the guns in this episode and Schweichert’s description of himself as a BB gun facing four Howitzers. (Maybe it’s just coincidence, but Mike, from Breaking Bad (a different BB), is up against four men in his meeting with Tio Salamanca.)

A couple of minor things that are bothering me.

At the beginning, when Jimmy can’t sleep and is up watching late night TV, we see a Davis and Main ad for the Sandpiper case, but it is not Jimmy’s ad, it looks more like their previous TV ad (mesothelioma?). So even though the partners were pissed about Jimmy going rogue and airing his ad without permission, they have obviously decided it wasn’t a terrible idea and put together an ad of their own. I figured that would come up as an issue with Jimmy later, but it didn’t. (Maybe it will later…) I also thought the time slot was odd. Jimmy had his ad air during the first commercial break of a “Murder She Wrote” rerun in the afternoon. Are there that many old people up watching TV in the middle of the night?

The other thing that bothers me is the distance between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, and how quickly Jimmy is able to get back and forth between the two. Looking at a map, they appear to be about 60 miles apart. When Jimmy first took the job at D&M, I thought he said they were about an hour apart and he got an apartment somewhere in between. When Kim calls him from the bar and asks him how soon he can get there, it seems that he is there in no time, but in fact Kim would have had to be stringing the “mark” along for an hour or more before Jimmy got there. And it wasn’t just this one time, I thought there were other times in previous episodes where Jimmy gets from Alb. to S.F., or from his apartment to one or the other, in an unreasonably short period of time.

I think that was deliberately supposed to show how they disregarded Jimmy’s input on the ad. He pointed out the ad has to be interesting and it has to be at the right time if it wants to catch the elderly. If any Sandpiper resident saw that ad, (which they probably didn’t), they’re int going to call any more than they sent back the forms. D&M probably spent 1000 times what Jimmy did, to get 10% of the response.

He moves at the speed of plot, obviously.

Yep - but they got the swirl just right!

What really struck me last night was how slowly the show moved. I don’t mean that in a bad way, but if you broke down the number of extended scenes where not much obvert “ACTION” occurs, there’s be quite a few. For example: the entire verse of Bali Hai, preceded by several seconds of Kim waiting for the phone to ring; A protracted shot of Kim in the bar; seemed like several minutes of Jimmy tossing in bed and playing with the woven balls… Yet by the end of each hour the characters have developed and the plot has progressed. Impressive.

I thought Jimmy’s continued frustration with - and apparent amnesia regarding the cupholder was a weak point. Show of hands - how long would you have a car before realizing that your favorite cup didn’t fit the cupholder? Yet, each time you’d be surprised and frustrated that it didn’t fit, dropping the cup on the car floor, and finally taking a tire iron to the cupholder? At best, these repeated references say something about Jimmy than makes me like and care about him less.

They sure are doing a good job of accurately portraying a dickish law partner in Howard. There are tons of them out there IRL. What I thought more telling than Kim’s willingness to scam the engineer was her (and Jimmy’s) willingness to simply abandon work they were expected to do. Your private firm career doesn’t just bounce back from that sort of thing. Unless Kim really is going to get the props she deserves from bringing in the bank business…

And yeah, I didn’t see the job offer as legit, and was disappointed that she was not more professional in her handling of it - figuring out exactly what was on the table, and how to manipulate it for her advantage. I see her career going down the tubes pretty quickly. Jimmy’s going to lose his job too, but at least we know he will be reincarnated.

Regarding the cupholder; haven’t you ever had something that you did a certain way for years and suddenly some physical aspect of it changes - you get a new cellphone or a new remote or whatever - and for a period of time you kept subconsciously trying to do it the old way? It’s not a matter of memory, it’s a matter of habit. Dropping his cup in the holder is something he does without thinking about it.

Yes, that cup is almost as new to him as the car is, but presumably he had a cup before that that also worked well in his old car. I say that because he obviously has an ingrained habit of dropping a cup in a cupholder.

It was really telling to me how Jimmy couldn’t sleep in the HHM provided place, then went back to the salon, pulled out the bed, laid down, and smiled. To me, that was a hint of Saul. Jimmy was home where he belonged.

Don’t know about that. I’m guessing ad time for that time of the morning are much cheaper than running in the afternoon during “Murder She Wrote”. In fact it might be so cheap that if it runs for a few weeks it’s total cost might be the same as the one time Jimmy ran it.

But D&M really doesn’t care about getting the bang for their buck.

They’re 60 miles of Texas highway apart - so the hour at normal driving speeds is accurate, but if Jimmy is willing to speed and there’s not much traffic (say, in the middle of the afternoon) I can easily see cutting that down to 45 minutes, maybe even a bit less. (Texas has a lot of long, straight roads). So Kim just has to string the guy along for 45 minutes, which a pretty girl talking about her great business opportunity should have no trouble doing. I think they implied a decent amount of time by her needing to leave to use the bathroom too.

I don’t get the impression that it happens every time he gets in the car, just when he’s distracted thinking about something else - I don’t think he has trouble with the cupholder most days, just when there’s big stuff on his head and he goes back to old habits. I still find myself thinking I need to check voicemail and email when I get home once in a while, even though it’s been more than half a decade since I switched to a smart phone (which tells me if I have email) and longer than that since I ditched a land line, so I don’t find it implausible.

60 miles is the distance from the center of Santa Fe to the center of Albequerque, too. I looked at a map and put in a point in Santa Fe on the south-west edge of the city right on the freeway, and one in ABQ on the north-east side of what looks to be downtown, and it was only 42 miles/35 minutes (all freeway).