Better Call Saul 2.06 "Bali Ha'i" 3/21/16

We do a lot of things by habit. One time I left my phone at my mother’s house when I left there to run an errand for her. At the store I realized that I didn’t have my phone and my first thought was to call her and ask if I had left my phone there. Of course I couldn’t do that since I didn’t have my phone, but it illustrates the force of habit.

What you talkin’ about Willis?

I’ve had my present car for 10 years and I still forget that certain size cans won’t fit in the cupholder. I can easily see forgetting that a cup won’t fit for weeks after getting a new car, particularly when distracted.

If Kim took that job, her new bosses at her new firm would never fully trust her. Afterall, if she abandoned HHM for their opponent in the middle of a big case, what’s keeping her from eventually doing the same to them? What else would she be willing to do?

If they hired her, she’d be stuck in even more of a dead end job than she is now.

I guess I can understand cans, but for me, as soon as I get a new car, I figure out what cup is going to work with it. That Jimmy hasn’t thought to do that says something to me.

And Voltaire, don’t put too much stock in the new firm’s trust. Lawyers don’t trust each other - as a whole, they are self interested and opportunistic. So long as she is doing - and more importantly bringing in - the work, they’ll love her. And as soon as she stops either, they’ll kick her ass to the curb.

More realistic IMO is that the firm really doesn’t want to hire her. Instead, they just want to mess with the ongoing case, and would be happy for her to quit her job and then withdraw their offer.

Who is the actor playing the lawyer trying to get Kim to leave HHM? He reminds me a lot of Ron Silver, but of course he’s dead.

Dennis Boutsikaris. He’s played lawyers on Law & Order in the past.
Yeah, he does remind me of Ron Silver

When Jimmy couldn’t fit the cup into the holder and finally settled for between his thighs, it brought up the McDonalds coffee case where the lady burned her cooch for doing the same. In Albuquerque.
I’m thinking Mike is going to call Jimmy when he has to go to court about the gun “really being his”. Tuco is going to be all kinds of pissed when he gets out early…at Mike and at Nacho.

Jimmy said how much the ad fee was in “Gloves Off.” It only cost $700 to run the ad once during “Murder She Wrote.” That doesn’t seem like that much to me. ETA: Well yeah middle of the night would probably be a lot cheaper, but I don’t think the cost had anything to do with why it was on so late. It aired then to show how poorly Davis & Main went about doing the commercial as compared to Jimmy. Boring middle of the night vs emotional during heavily watched show.

:eek::smack: Until right now I thought that was Ron Silver! I totally forgot that he died! :frowning:

Well he’s crazy so maybe, but he has no reason to be pissed at Nacho. Nacho told him it was time to roll but Tuco said for Nacho to leave without him.

It was the cup that Kim gave him as a present, so I’m sure he wants to keep using it (and it fit in his old car), so simply forgets now and again that it doesn’t fit.

I think that may end up differently. If he doesn’t know what happened, Nacho is fine - he hung around until Tuco told him to take off, and kept their money safe. If he knows what happened then he’ll want Nacho dead (and that might even be what Saul is worried about when he’s introduced in Breaking Bad). Nacho betrayed him, and that’s going to make him mad. I can see him not holding a grudge against Mike though - if he doesn’t know what happened, then it’s possible that he sees it as he and Mike had a fight, and now it’s over, especially since Mike (presumably) helped get his gun charges removed. Even if he knows what happened, I can see him not going after Mike. Mike didn’t betray him (unlike Nacho) so he could view the whole thing as just business, and he might respect the balls of a guy who picks a fight and loses it to make a point, plus Mike will probably be officially off-limits by then anyway. (I don’t think it has to be that way, but it would fit with Tuco’s personality for me).

LOL I usually think of all of the big open Southwest as ‘Texas highways’ for some reason, but yeah, that’s actually not the right State.

He should have taken the left turn at Albuquerque.

Personalities differ. Some people would be very focused on the issue, and would devote time and energy to solving the discrepancy. Others wouldn’t give it a thought other than in the moment when the cup won’t drop. Then it would be displaced in their thoughts by other matters, until the next time.

Yes, it seems unlikely that Kim would have a good experience if she says ‘yes’ to the offer.

But what was up with Howard leaving Kim to handle the hearing alone–other than as a plot device, to give Schweikart a good story to use in trying to manipulate Kim? Even though (as we’ve been told) the case isn’t the only one HHM is dealing with, it IS a big-money case. “Showing Kim Who’s Boss” doesn’t seem worth the risks incurred by having only one HHM lawyer present.

Fighting this one request won’t make or break the case. It was a loser. So making her fight it by herself is both a degrading chore, like doc review, but it also keeps Howard from being involved in a loser argument.

Neither one will lose their jobs. They will quit and start a new company known as Saul Goodman, Esq. and be their own bosses. Until they crash and burn of course (maybe not Jimmy—he seems to do alright as a criminal lawyer).

And Chris Sarandon. That’s who I always mistake him for.

Yeah, that makes sense.

It’s notable that Kim is turning out to be one of the more interesting characters created by Gilligan and Gould—while having no presence at all (never even mentioned) in Breaking Bad.

I thought it was John Pyper-Ferguson, who plays a lawyer on ‘Suits’.

It doesn’t matter how cheap the ad time is if nobody watches it. The thing about Jimmy is that he knows how to get results, even if his methods are…unorthodox.