Bones 5/20, "The Beginning in the End" - Beware Possible Spoilers!

The remains of a hoarder are discovered; Angela’s father (Billy Gibbons) visits; Booth and Brennan are each confronted with unique opportunities.

I don’t know…seemed a lot like a series finale to me instead of just a season finale. They tell us it will be back next season, but if it turns out it isn’t, most things seem rectified…

I guess this one of the shows rumored to be doing a flashforward next season. Given Bones’ inability to meet Booth on the same emotional level, then her being scared by the burier ordeal, I think it makes sense for them to take a break and renew themselves with the work they both started in. I liked the result. I thought Angela and Hodgins year in Paris was pretty cool too. Lance and the chief didn’t get much of a plan though.

The only thing I really didn’t like was how Lance and Daisy were just like 'Oh well, I guess we’ll break up." Dear lord, you were ENGAGED…and a one year trip is ending your entire future? And you’re both OK with that? If so, why the heck did you get engaged in the first place?

My wife and I were friends for years before we started dating, but when we did start dating, it was long distance for a while, then we got engaged, and I was in Germany with the Army while she was back in the US for 7 months after engagement (which immediately followed 4 months of LD dating). We got married, and 6 months later, I was deployed to the Gulf…then, before I got out of the Army, she returned to the US to go back to her job after living with me for 2 years in Germany. I was supposed to be done with the Army 2 months later, but was stop-lossed, extending our time apart for another 7 months on top of that.

And we were fine. Did it suck? Yeah, but it wasn’t nearly as hard as I thought it would be…and after 7 years of marriage, it would suck again to do it again, but I would if I had to. The fact that they gave up so quickly after already expressing a desire to be together for the rest of their lives just ticked me off.

Sorry for the rant. Other than that, I liked the episode a lot.

I think that a lot of the problem for Dr. Sweets is that Daisy didn’t even talk to him about the trip. She walked into his office and said, “Hey, I’m going to Indonesia for a year, here’s information about being a pearl diver for when you give up your career to follow me. Oh, and just so you know, I’m just like Dr. Brennan, my career is the most important thing to me.”

If my fiance told me that she took a job on the other side of the globe for a year and that her career was more important to her than I was, I’d probably break up with her too.

It will be interesting how the series feels when it comes back after the characters have spent a year apart. Things were starting to get too…routine? comfortable? I think a mini-reboot could breathe new life into the characters and the show.

Just too many bases touched in addition to a plot line that seemed almost an afterthought. Not one of my most well thought of.

All during the second half of the show, I kept shouting at the TV, “It’s only one friggin’ YEAR, people! Get a grip!” :smack:

And yeah, Daisy should have discussed it with Lance before accepting the gig, so that he could have urged her to go. Maybe they both need to grow up.

Aside: Cam’s wardrobe and BODY. Omigod.

Sweets and Cam really get hosed in this episode since they will be the ones stuck putting everything back to gether at the lab while the rest of the cast is off galavanting around the world.

Side question: why is Hodgins so scared of Angela’s father? and is he supposed to be Billy Gibbons playing himself or just playing a Billy Gibbons-like character?

Yeah. The characters can all come back re-energized and perhaps display a different personality than in the past.

I hate to be a Debby Downer, but I think that one of the changes will be that Jack and Angela will have [del]killed each other[/del] broken up. Just to keep things spicy.

[wolf whistle]Yeah, she does like them clothes tight.

BG himself. And scared because BG is in freaking ZZTop. (IMHO)

Well, it sure beat last season’s finale, not that that’s saying much.

It would almost be funny to see an episode of Cam and all the revolving interns (less Daisy) trying to keep things going with all the real squints gone. Maybe Zach could be furloughed to help babysit. :smiley:

Nah. Given that Angela and Jack talked about having “a million babies” I think the next season will start off with them having a one to three-month-old, or Angela very pregnant. Why? To remind Bones that she wants a baby, and that Booth retracted his offer to be a donor because he’d want to be part of the kid’s life. Gotta get her on track, you know.

Hodgins once woke up in the middle of the desert, with “Angela Forever” (or some such) tattooed on his shoulder courtesy of Angela’s dad. He is right to be scared.

I don’t think there is any indication that he is supposed to actually be the *real *Billy Gibbons. Just a scary Texan musician. IMDb just lists the character as “Angela’s Dad” which I suppose is deliberately skirting the issue…TRM

I’m pretty sure it’s been mentioned that it’s really supposed to be him.

IMDB Billy Gibbons - IMDb

lists “Angela’s dad” as Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top.

The cable guide listing for the episode said “Billy F. Gibbons (as himself)”, for whatever that’s worth.

Well to be fair, Booth will be in Afghanistan and Bones in a jungle in Indonesia. Neither place is precisely safe to vacation. I would guess that the start of next season, there is a chance that Booth will be MIA because he didn’t listen to Bones at the airport.

Yeah, she made her choices clear. No surprise he didn’t want to wait on her or go with her.

And it’s up to Bones and the squints to save him, of course.:smiley:

That goes without saying, of course.