Boston Dopers... non-dopefest gathering?

I’ll keep my eye on this thread… I may be working weekends but I’m not sure yet.

And I have the distinct honor of having been Blu’s second. As in, the second time she went to Boston was with me. Woo!

Huh, I missed this the first time around. I might be up for something around that time, depending on where it is, and when, and what else is going on in life and everything. Something accessible by bike would be nicest for me, which means I’m not too up on the Plimoth Plantation idea, though I have ventured out that far before.

Ah, here we are!

waterj, it was just a suggestion. Since we have some time 'til zero hour, you have any ideas you’d like to share with the group?

Lux, yea! You have anything in particular you’d want to do?

I can’t make this one, sadly.

Note: Quincy Market is NOT a good meeting place. It’s way too damn crowded.

Yeah, last year there was a rogue group that never hooked up with the main one at Quncy Market, wasn’t there?

I’m in! I’ll see if I can reign in Debaser and Shagnasty.

Yeah, those rogues!

I’ll be there… but what time of day are we talking about? I couldn’t be there until about 4:00 PM.

There’s always City Hall Plaza, which has the advantage of being a pointless, barren expanse of bricks. Plus, you can pretend you’re in East Germany or somewhere equally dismal.

I really don’t have any other suggestions for what to do, I’m really just a follower.

Anyone here seen Shear Madness?

[Hijack] ** Chris Luongo ** your name is familiar. A kid with that same last name called Gabe went to my school for a year a while back, in seventh grade. And we’re both from MA. Weird. Likely to be just a coincidence, but… yeah, weird. [/Hijack]

That would be me and Rasa. :slight_smile:

I might be in, but Im about to start a new job and I dont know what my days off will be like yet. If I go, Wicked, I’ll be more than happy to drive you in…I’ve got Boston down like the back of my hand :slight_smile:

I’ll let you guys know after I start…

Ooh – the others have spoken! :slight_smile:

I saw “Shear Madness” once – a longlonglong time ago. Sure, I’ll see it again…or…

do either of us know what else might be playing?

starts rummaging around for today’s Globe

Grelby, I don’t know of a Gabe Luongo that I’m related to. Anyway, I’m 28, grew up in Malden my whole life, and just moved to Worcester in December.

Hey to everyone else–

Isn’t Shear Madness some type of theatrical performance? (Please forgive me for not being up to date on that.) Anyway, it would strike me that if a bunch of people go to a place/event where no talking is allowed, it’s hard to get to know one another.

City Hall Plaza is a good suggestion, at least for a starting point. And maybe lunch/dinner in some type of restaurant that’s not too loud, but not too quiet.

For anyone who enjoys nature, the Arnold Arboretum is a very pleasant place to hang out.

June 6 is fine for me-anywhere in Boston!

June 6th–a Thursday? How about the 8th? :stuck_out_tongue:

On the plate so far:
[list=1][li]A Red Sox Game (unconfirmed if they’re even playing)[/li][li]Anywhere but a Red Sox Game[/li][li]Plimoth Plantation (waterj, I’m quite sure I could drive you if nothing else)[/li][li]Arnold Arboretum[/li][*]Shear Madness/Blue Man Group + heavy drinking (alcohol not required, merely suggested. Strongly.)[/list=1]

Ooooh, the Arboretum is close. That’s like a five minute bike ride. And I like trying to make it through the Arboretum without touching the handlebars. Not quite sure what other activities there might be for a group of Dopers there, though.

Really, I’m pretty open to ideas, we can worry about logistics later, as long as we don’t decide on something like “meet at Logan Airport, and all fly to Seattle for the weekend.”

I’ve never seen Blue Man Group, nor Shear Madness. And I know Boston far better than the back of my hand. I even know where Lyndenborough Place is, even if it isn’t on any map.

So, uh, yeah, count me tentatively in for something, with no real preference for what.

Yes. Poor Blu had to try to find my house in Providence by following my directions, we were late getting to Boston, and spent the afternoon walking around Fanueil Hall looking for redheaded lesbians.

We’re such rogues.

Plus, I had to keep Blu from kicking Nancy Kerrigan inna shins. Fer real.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by erislover *
On the plate so far:
[list=1][li]A Red Sox Game (unconfirmed if they’re even playing)[/li][li]Anywhere but a Red Sox Game[/li][li]Plimoth Plantation (waterj, I’m quite sure I could drive you if nothing else)[/li][li]Arnold Arboretum[/li][li]Shear Madness/Blue Man Group + heavy drinking (alcohol not required, merely suggested. Strongly.)[/list=1] [/li][/QUOTE]
I don’t particularly like the Sox (y’know, being a Yankees fan and all), but a day at the park is a day at the park. Speaking of which, I like the idea of the Arboretum. Of course, I’m flexible. I lean toward social activities more than sitting around watching a performance, though.

I may be able to make this one. Boston is a quick bus/train ride from NYC. I used to live in Somervillle (Slumerville) for about 14 years. I LOVE Shear Madness, it really is a fun and creative show. I can’t believe it is still running.

Either way, if the weekend shapes up right I’ll swing on down for the day. Boston is a great town (until you come to NYC). It’s only real flaw is that they close everything (read: the bars) WAY to early. Also no Booze on Sundays! Blue laws make the drunken dj cry.
DaLovin’ Dj