Breakfast sandwiches and eggs

Why is it so hard to find a breakfast item at a restaurant that does not include eggs in some form? I really don’t care for eggs, and when I’m on vacation I want a breakfast more substantial than cereal - but the only place I’ve been able to find an eggless sausage sandwich is Mickey D’s.

What is it with eggs and breakfast? Are they just inextricably stapled together in the collective imagination, like yams and marshmallows or Thanksgiving and turkey?

(I’m not sure if this would belong better in GQ, but it seems more opiniony . . . )

Can’t you just order an egg-containing breakfast sandwich and ask them to hold the eggs? They’re not mandatory. But sure, there are plenty of non-egg non-cereal breakfast items… like cinnamon buns, pancakes, waffles, biscuits and gravy, grits, yada yada.

I’ve never met someone who disliked eggs. I believe most non-vegans like them. They just taste guuuuud. And I think not liking eggs is weird. Why not? :open_mouth:

You sound like me with dessert and chocolate. Some places, it’s really hard to find dessert that doesn’t involve chocolate.

But to answer your question, I think the majority of people consider eggs to be part of a hot breakfast by default. They are cheap and easy, they go well with most other hot breakfast foods, and the majority of people like them, so it becomes a standard.

Honey butter chicken biscuit. Food of the gods.

Try not liking eggs and being gluten intolerant. I used to eat pancakes, french toast or waffles.

Gluten free granola and yogurt is my default. I tolerate trace gluten, so I’m fine with oatmeal. I do hash when I want the breakfast meat thing. And I’ve learned to “like” eggs.

As someone who doesn’t eat meat, but enjoys eggs and cheese, it kills me that I can’t find a breakfast sandwich, bagel, wrap, burrito, etc. that offers eggs, cheese and veggies (maybe onions, peppers or tomatoes) without also coming complete with ham, sausage or bacon.

YES they will hold the meat, but they never offer just the EC&V option (it’s always a special order) and I am stuck paying the same price as the sandwiches that include meat, which is probably the single most expensive ingredient in the entire dish.

I obviously know it’s not a huge deal, but it always sticks a little bit to pay for something I wont ever see.

Sandwiching this in Cafe Society from IMHO.

My father refuses to eat eggs because they come out of a chicken’s ass.

I think eggs are big for breakfast because they are easy to prepare. Crack, fry, serve. Sausages and bacon… fry on griddle, serve. Cereal… put in bowl, pour on milk, serve. Leftover pizza… remove from fridge, eat.

Most other substantial dishes require more prep time, or cooking time, and it’s hard to put that time in for your morning meal.

I am the same way. I usually don’t want the bacon or sausage. I’ve never asked, but maybe you could see if you could get extra cheese instead of the meat.

In the south you can more easily find sausage biscuits, or the devine ham biscuit, both without egg.

It’s really the texture I don’t like. No matter how they’re prepared, eggs aren’t chewy or crispy, they’re just kind of . . . soft and . . . bleah. And they don’t have much flavor; certainly they don’t taste good enough for me to overlook the mushiness.

Count me in the “doesn’t like eggs” camp. Unfortunately, even when I specify “no egg” when I order a breakfast sandwich, I often end up with that nasty, spongy mass of fast-food egg on it. It’s as if people can’t conceive of not putting egg on the damn thing. (Or maybe it’s just that it’s morning and no one is properly awake.)

Oh, and I don’t want marshmallow on my sweet potatoes, either. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m no eggspert, but I don’t think that’s quite right…

You must be my alter ego. I was recently complaining about how hard it is to find a sandwich with egg in it when it’s NOT breakfast, because I adore eggs. But 7 Eleven comes to the rescue with that, because their breakfast sandwiches are on the shelves all day.

Maybe it’s just me, but I use eggs to make cinnamon buns, pancakes, waffles, biscuits!:stuck_out_tongue:

Pancakes and waffles, yes, but eggs in biscuit or cinnamon roll dough? Heathen!

Entrenched Norherner here, so I don’t do “biscuits” per se, but Cinnamon Roll cite.

If you live in a place that has a decent deli culture, you can likely get an egg sandwich anytime of day. Of course, good delis are far from universally available/geographically well-distributed.

Chain restaurants – yeah, they’re not real well setup to serve stuff at the “wrong” time of day. Has to do with cookspace allocation, etc. However – there is a . . . subculture’s too strong a word, but . . . fast food hacker website culture in which they tell you which restaurants will and won’t make you customized/mashed up items. There’s something called the 10:20 burger, which is basically the result of asking them to combine a burger (just as the burgers are coming on line) and an Egg McMuffin (just as they’re getting ready to shut down breakfast service but haven’t quite done so). Various posters report success with requesting this.

They have 'em at Burger King, and also at Hardee’s.

Northerner, heathen, same difference!

:stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, if I squint and tilt my head just right, I can sort of see where the linked recipe looks like cinnamon rolls, but really, that’s just way more complicated than it needs to be.

And I’d have given you a pass of the biscuit thing if you were British.