Calvin and Hobbes - wisdom you live by.

Bats are bugs

No, that’s “Bat’s ARENT’ bugs!”, shouted by anyone within earshot of Calvin.

Calvin’s setup was stuff along the lines of “Bats! In the dark of night, with a piercing shriek, these flying furry bugs attack blab blab blab.” :smiley:

From Snoopy (of Peanuts of course):

To those of us with real understanding, dancing is the only pure art form.

Also, just about everything the kid (Jeremy?) in Zits says. Not quite as deep, but just as true.

http://people.clemson.edu/~mmacgre/ch/snowman2.jpg

But it’s really kind of hard to just name one … or even just several of my favourites.

I also like how Calvin always sets up snowmen too. Classic

After being called in from playing on a Sunday evening . . .

“Any day you have to take a bath and go to bed early is not a day off in my book.”
I’m 45 and I still feel that way.

I was always real partial to the one where C & H are outside staring up at the night sky, discussing how it makes them realize how insignificant humankind truly is in the scheme of things. The last panel, Calvin’s propped up in a chair surrounded by blaring television, radio, etc., and says something to the effect of “I know. That’s why we surround ourselves with our appliances.”

I must obey the inscrutible exhortations of my soul.

“Maybe you guys need to drink more beer.” (That’s a philosopy we could all live by!)
C: (watching the “Great Altar of Passive Entertainment (The TV))
“Hey Dad, look at this commercial. How come you don’t drive a cool sports car like that guy?”
D: “That car costs $40k.”
C: “And look at the babe he’s with. How come mom doesn’t dress like that?”
D: (To Mom) Yeah, why DON’T you dress like that?”
M: Becasue your adolescent fantasies require and adolescent model with implants, …HONEY."
C: “Maybe you guys need to drink more beer.”

From Willy of Willy & Ethel

“You know, some people don’t realize until it’s too late, what they could have watched.”

Observing an anthill, Calvin notes how tirelessly the ants are working - all to build a little mound of sand that could be destroyed any minute.

HOBBES: I suppose there’s a lesson to be learned from this.
CALVIN: Yeah, ants are morons. Let’s go see what’s on TV.

Darth Nader swiped my first choice. Some more:

(I think this is how this one goes)
C: “If I eat enough of these Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs, I’ll be hyperactive and incoherent all day.”
H: “Does it work?”
C: “No brothers or sisters yet!”

A Sunday strip with C&H playing war. Calvin explains the rules and then shouts “Go!” Both fire their dart guns at the same time, Calvin hit between the eyes and Hobbes dead center on the chest. They’re both eyeballing their mutually fatal “wounds” and Calvin remarks “Kind of a stupid game, isn’t it?” After participating in one war and witnessing several more from afar, I find that to be astoundingly true.

C: “I’ve got more brains than I know what to do with.”
H: “So I’ve noticed.”

C: (slice of bread in hand) “Hey Hobbes, check this out!”
H: “What?”
C: (puts bread in toaster) "Look, you put the bread in…
C: (waits for toaster) “…and toast pops out! Weird, huh?”
H: (eyeballing toaster slot) “Yeah, where does the bread go?”
Oh so appropriate at my IT desk in a company full of computer illiterates.

T-REX’S IN F-16’S!!!

All of the above especially Gauguin

“We shouldn’t need acomplishments to feel good about ourselves. Self-esteem shouldn’t be conditional”

• blimey!

“…I know you love to learn. You’ve read every book about dinosaurs that there is. You know learning is fun. So how come you don’t do better in school?”
“Because they never teach us about dinosaurs.”

That was my entire childhood, right there.

More Calvin: “Why should I have to WORK for everything?! It’s like saying I don’t deserve it!”

“Reality continues to ruin my life”

“People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don’t realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.”

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. "

"Life’s disappointments are harder to take when you don’t know any swear words. "

"In my opinion, we don’t devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. "

And one my favorite profound ones of (imo) Calvin talking to Hobbes:

Calvin: “Do you believe in the devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the temptation, corruption, and destruction of man?”

Hobbes: “I’m not sure that man needs the help.”

This isn’t the actual quote but its on the line of this. Calvin is holding a watering pot above a plant. “Ha! I can choose whether you live or die! Without this water you won’t survive! I control your fate! I-” Boom! Crackle! It starts to thunderstorm.

Chocolate frosted sugar bombs and the Transmogrifier. Just two things to help us all make it through the day.

The Oct. 5th Frazz has just trumped this.

I like the one where Calvin is sitting inside at his desk, and says “Look at all this homework I have to do! I don’t want to do this garbage! I want to go play outside!” and the next shot cuts to him outside on his sled with Hobbes, and says the line I like to live by, “Childhood is short, and maturity is forever.”

Oh, and “My internal clock is on Tokyo time.”

Girls are like slugs - they probably serve some purpose, but it’s hard to imagine what.

“It’s hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.”