CanadaDope 2017: Celebrating the Sesquicentennial - "... and loving it!"

The Constitution of Canada protects the rights of “aboriginal peoples of Canada”, which includes the “Indian, Inuit and Métis peoples of Canada.”

See s 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/const/page-16.html#h-52

My mother’s paternal grandmother was Metis. But my understanding, growing up was that Metis meant a mix of First Nation and French. I was very pleased when I learned it was, in fact, NOT only French mixed with First Nation, but other mixes as well. And I never understood why the Metis had to fight so long and hard to be included under the umbrella of 'First Nations".

(Considering as my next tattoo, a small Metis flag!)

An interesting thing from late last year - I posed for Kent Monkman, who is painting an incredible number of pieces for the sesquicentennial. The series we were posing for that day is to be called ‘Rendezvous’, and it deals with the early spring get-togethers of trappers, traders, First Nations’ people, and barmaids. For many of these people, this spring thaw may have been the first contact they’d had with another human for months, and they were the occasions of much revelry.

It was an absolute blast to be in his studio and see how he and the team work!

An amusing game, stolen from Facebook…

Which of the ten provinces and three territories have you lived in? Which ones have you visited?

British Columbia - visited
Alberta - lived in
Saskatchewan - lived in
Manitoba - lived in
Ontario - lived in
Quebec - visited
New Brunswick - visited
Prince Edward Island - visited
Nova Scotia - visited
Newfoundland and Labrador - visited
Yukon Territory
North-West Territories
Nunavut

You can set the cut off wherever you like - if it’s just based on length of time, I could be considered to have lived in BC and Quebec as well. I decided it was better to think in terms of ‘Did you get your mail at that address? Change your health card? Change your driver’s license?’, in which case, I was just visiting.

Interesting point - between Oct. of 1989 and Oct. of 1990, I visited all ten provinces…

Alberta
Saskatchewan
Manitoba - visited
Ontario - lived in
Quebec - visited
New Brunswick - visited
Prince Edward Island
Nova Scotia - visited
Newfoundland and Labrador
Yukon Territory
North-West Territories
Nunavut

I’ve visited all the provinces and none of the Territories. I’ve only ever lived in Ontario.

I’ve lived in Ontario and Alberta, and visited the other eight provinces, plus the NWT. I still have to get to Nunavut and the Yukon.

BC - visited
Alb - visited
Sask - passed through
Man - nothing
Ont - lived
Que - lived
NB - passed through
NS - visited
PEI - visited
NFLD/Lb - nothing

Oh I’m looking forward to the freak out over Kent Monkman’s work. Bears of Confederation should be good for at least 3 or 4 days of outrage.

Alberta - lived
Saskatchewan - lived
Manitoba - lived
Ontario - visited
Quebec - visited
New Brunswick - lived
Nova Scotia - visited
Yukon Territory
North-West Territories
Nunavut

I’ve hit all the provinces in one fashion or another but none of the territories.

Spotted this in the National Post and found it interesting: “Chilling artifacts from when Canada prepared for nuclear annihilation”:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/this-is-a-real-emergency-chilling-artifacts-from-when-canada-prepared-for-nuclear-annihilation

Seems some Cold War pamphlets, recordings, and suchlike were recently discovered in Edmonton, and they are reminders of when nuclear was was quite possible. I’m old enough to remember those days–I never practiced ducking and covering at school, but I do remember those big sirens–so I found this stuff interesting.

British Columbia – visited
Alberta - visited
Saskatchewan – visited
Manitoba – lived in
Ontario – lived in
Quebec – hatched and lived in
New Brunswick – lived in
Prince Edward Island
Nova Scotia – visited
Yukon Territory
North-West Territories
Nunavut – I might have visited it depending on the statutory definition of what is an island :wink: (a friend and I canoed to a rock that had a bit of grass on it and was still surrounded by water in Hudson’s Bay’s James Bay’s Hanna Bay despite it being low tide, but I wouldn’t be surprised if in some years it might have been connected to the mainland at low tide by shifting bottom sand and therefore arguably not be a Nunavut island and instead be a soggy part of Ontario); see Schedule to Ontario Boundary Act, 1889 which in turn is a schedule to the Constitution Act 1982, and Nunavut Act, 1993, s.3)

Alberta - visited

Manitoba - visited

New Brunswick - visited

Newfoundland & Labrador - visited

Nova Scotia - visited

Ontario - lived in

Prince Edward Island - never been

Quebec - lived in

Saskatchewan - lived in

Northwest Territories - visited

Nunavut - never been

Yukon - visited

So the irony is that I’ve missed Canada’s largest and smallest jurisdictions. :slight_smile:

British Columbia - Lived (18 yrs)
Alberta - lived (30 yrs)
Saskatchewan - Visited
Manitoba
Ontario - Visited (2months)
Quebec
New Brunswick - visited
Prince Edward Island
Nova Scotia - visited (couple of months)
Yukon Territory - Visited
North-West Territories
Nunavut

Alberta - lived in
Saskatchewan - visited
Manitoba - visited
Ontario - lived in
Quebec - visited
New Brunswick - visited
Nova Scotia - lived in
Newfoundland and Labrador - Nope, not yet.
Yukon Territory
North-West Territories
Nunavut

Nothing for any of the territories but I am not a snow loving girl.

I am grateful for the bangup celebration everyone is throwing but really, turning 50 is not that big a deal! I’ve always been able to keep careful track of how old Canada is - 100 years older than me (and a couple of months but really what’s the difference at that point)

We ordered our parks passes and are looking forward to a few weekend trips this summer. We’re still visiting the States for a week to see the eclipse this year too, and since our nearest point is in Kentucky, to do some bourbon tasting.

Alberta - visited
Saskatchewan
Manitoba
Ontario - lived
Quebec - lived
New Brunswick - visited
Nova Scotia - lived
Yukon Territory
North-West Territories
Nunavut

I have regretted always flying over the prairies on my trips, but drivng/busing through western Ontario is a task I’m not sure I’m up for.

I’ve done the Western Ontario drive 3 times. Once I was driving from New Brunswick to Winnipeg after university to live with my parents for a bit before setting myself up. I was by myself and flying by the seat of my pants.

I hit Sault Ste. Marie at about 6pm and considered driving a few more hours before calling it quits but decided to stop for the night. It is a good thing I did because I was thinking as I was driving the next day that there was really no place to stop within 2 or 3 hours of Sault St. Marie.

The next time was moving from Winnipeg to New Brunswick with my then fiance (now wife). We were caught in a bit of a snowstorm after we left Thunderbay and had to stop at a little motel in Gravel River (google says it is the Gravel River Resort! hahaha) for a night. It was a cozy little place and we enjoyed the break from driving! :smiley:

The last time was driving a car my grandfather had given me from BC to New Brunswick. My brother was in the car with me from BC to Winnipeg but then I was on my own. That trip was notable as I woke up in a hotel in Montreal to the beginnings of the '98 ice storm. I got out of dodge just in time to miss the most of it. That morning was the slowest I’ve ever seen traffic in Quebec.

British Columbia - lived
Alberta - lived
Saskatchewan - lived
Manitoba - visited
Ontario - lived
Quebec - visited
New Brunswick - visited
Nova Scotia - visited
Prince Edward Island - missed my chance
Newfoundland/Labrador - visited (the Newfoundland half at least)
Yukon - visited
Northwest Territories - missed my chance
Nunavut - visited

I have also done the Ontario to BC portion of The Great Canadian Tour at least three times - three days just to get out of Ontario and a province a day after that!

I’ve only lived in Quebec. I’ve been to Nova Scotia, Ontario, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia.

That was a wise decision. Getting gas and/or lodging can be problematic at night between the Soo and TBay.

The roads around Gravel River(other than the Trans-Canada).

I’ve lived in Saskatchewan and Ontario, and I’ve never visited Newfoundland nor the territories.