Classic Nickelodeon Programing

conks self on head

Now I rememberi…dur.
CJ

uh, no. as far as i can remember, it was … well, around my area it was on a local PBS station … but i know it wasn’t a Nick show.

Ghostwriter was produced for PBS by Children’s Television (now Sesame) Workshop. It did appear at one time on Noggin, a network that was until recently co-owned by Sesame and Viacom, Nick’s parent company (Sesame sold their half to get the money to buy the rights to the Sesame Street Muppet characters from Henson).

Anyone remember the claymation short The Adventures of Inside Out Boy (I think that’s what it was called)? They showed it in between shows?

I used to watch these shows mainly in the afternoon. If I remember correctly, Nick started to get rather erratic in their scheduling for Salute Your Shorts (or I could be remembering some alternate universe), so catching an episode was always nice. Also loved Hey Dude, but they all seemed to be 25-year-old actors playing teenagers.

Yes! I loved that little guy.

Nickelodeon (I think) used to have this little stop-motion series about a bunch of glasses living in a kitchen cabinet. Each glass had a little person drawn on the front who talked. I can’t remember any character names though. This may have been a part of another show–I don’t think it was a stand-alone thing.

“Clarissa Explains It All” was one of my favorites. All of the old game shows were great too.

I believe you’re thinking of “Teeny Little Super Guy” and I think he was a feature on Sesame Street.

That’s it! Thanks, Garfield226!

Oh man, I love all the shows mentioned. I still know the entire theme song of David the Gnome, and will sing it to anyone who asks (as long as I know them, as I have a horrid voice). I also remember Picture Pages with Bill Cosby (“Picture pages! Picture pages! Open up your picture pages! Time to get your crayon and your pencil! <repeat picture pages stuff> Time to let Bill Cosby do a Picture Page with you!”), and I have memories of The Little Prince as well.

One of my absolute most adored things about Nickelodeon growing up was a short (Inside Out Boy rocked, I remembered thinking, “wouldn’t he get all infected like that?”) that was “The Cat Came Back”, from the folk-y song. I would do almost anything to get a copy of that (the animated short).

I also remember reeeeeeeeeeally desperately wanting to win Snick or Treat, but not having the guts to answer the phone saying “Snick or Treat!”. I also remember all the contests they had where you had to send in a postcard; I always got sad because we never had postcards at home and I didn’t know where you could get them. BUT BUT BUT, there was one time they had an “Are You Afraid of the Dark” contest, you had to call a 1-800 number, and I was one of the winners! :eek: I won a cassette tape that had two different scary stories on it, and a flipbook with scary animation on it, and a VHS tape (I think I still have it somewhere), and a few other things.

[sub]I still was able to freak myself and my coworker (two years younger than me) when, right after we closed and it was (funny enough ;)) dark out, we talked about the AYAOFD episode with the guy who, when he wore these magic sunglasses, could see these FREAKY SOLID BLACK PEOPLE AROUND HIM and it ended with the people slowly advancing towards him! :: shiver :: [/sub]

I totally remember all these shows! I distinctly remember watching an episode of YCDTOT and thanking the good Lord that I would soon be oving and we would be getting cable (I was at a friend’s house watching). I totally love Clarissa Explains It All for You, Hey Dude, Salute Your Shorts, Welcome, Freshman (of course, I was in7th grade and couldn’t wait for HS).

I also remember watching daytime Nick when i was home sick from school. Loved those shows even though I was too old for them. Maya the Bee!

I was in one of those Simon-Says contests at Universal Studios and I won and they were filming but not till the next day and I had to go home and couldn’t be filmed. I’m still crushed. :frowning:

This thread is better suited for Cafe Society. I’ll move it for you.

Cajun Man ~ SDMB Moderator

If anyone at Nickelodeon has any brains at all, they will throw all these old shows onto DVDs.

I really stopped watching Nickelodeon when I was like 11, but that was well after they’d stopped making new episodes of the classics: Pete and Pete, Salute Your Shorts, Hey Dude, Rugrats, Rocko’s Modern Life, Doug.

Here’s an informal poll:

Was Salute Your Shorts better with Michael or Pinske? (Michael got the measles or something and had to leave. Pinske came in and totally one-upped Budnick. It was great.)

I think Pinske did good. Michael was kind of annoying. Man, I['m getting nostalgic.

<a href=http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Studio/8570/>Oh my</a>.

Poo.

Oh my.

So very tempting…

A just saw Telly on Sister, Sister. (I was flipping, I swear to God.)

OH MY FREAKING GOD IS SHE HOT!!

that is all

Finally, something that combines television with setting things on fire.

Don’t talk to me about feeling old, I watched (and enjoyed) these shows with my now 17 year old daughter.

The talk show Live Wire, with NYC high school kids & hosted by a Fred something who did tricks with his voice.
This is prehistoric, circa 1981.
I remember they had a live performance by Sugar Hill Gang & lots of subversive stuff.

Wasn’t “Banana Man” on Nick?

Yeah…paired with Danger Mouse. My Nick sweet spot is back in the era when it was almost all Canadian/British/Australian imports (when it was evil Pinwheel all morning long). And no commercials! What a concept!

I so wanted to be a Tomorrow Person, and I thought for sure I could be a telepath if I just tried hard enough. Sigh I was devastated when they stopped airing it. The sci-fi show Third Eye was wonderfully creepy in a kid friendly way. My mind’s eye picture of rural England is still basically what I saw on Black Beauty.

Anybody else remember the Nick show that took place in the Canadian backwoods? The characters got around in a float plane. And how about the Leonard Nimoy hosted movie show…I think they aired the episode that featured Return of the Jedi about 1000 times.