Dear "Enjoy, Steven"

I don’t see the big deal at all. I always got a kick out of Satan’s manual sig line. mtgman does the sig thing everywhere, and I wouldn’t imagine asking him to stop.

I don’t think it compares in the slightest to mammoth sigs filled with images and quotes and stuff.

Who cares what others put in their posts? Put me down as another who doesn’t understand the outcry of people who complain about posters who sign their posts. If it’s something like “Death to all mods” or something that IS 100 words or lines or so, then sure…but hyperbole much? It’s two lines.

“But what about three lines then? What if it becomes that? Is that okay?”

Yeah, but it’s not three lines. It’s two. Why don’t we burn that bridge when we come to it?

I can think of a lot of people who sign posts with two lines (Tripler, Shodan, Satan, Inkblot, Mtgman, sqrlcub)…and that’s only who I know offhand. There’s probably scores of others. I don’t see why they should have to stop because it irks some people.
Death to all mods

WTF is a “mtgman” anyway?

Stands for Magic: The Gathering. It’s a card game and it’s identifying himself as a player to other players (or to anyone who knows that’s what mtg stands for).

And my life would be darkened indeed if I didn’t see “love, YAMS!!!” once in a while.

USC delenda est!
QB

For some reason this made me laugh hysterically. May I politely request that you continue to use it from now until eternity?

All they have to do make it a regular sig via the board function, then they don’t have to manually type it in, and people can block it if they want. Sounds like win-win to me. Is there a down side I’m missing?

Well, other then the fact that it’s usually frowned upon (by the staff as well, AFAIK) to use one’s sig more than one time in the same topic, you mean?

What’s the use of doing that if they can only enable their sig once per topic?

I don’t like the “Enjoy, Steven” posts because of their incongruity. Frequently there’s nothing to enjoy and it just looks odd and out of place. Shodan’s “Regards” however, seem somehow respectful when appropriate and dismissive when appropriate (quite a feat, that :D).

I was inclined to say “Regards” from time to time myself when I first arrived here but didn’t so as not to appear to be mimicking Shodan.

So my vote goes to keep “Regards, Shodan” and dump “Enjoy, Steven”.

Were I to post only in the pit, I’d consider using
Fuck you,
-Ro
Somehow that seems like I’m telling myself to fuck myself, though. Better to leave the two-lined sig to the pros, I think.

Nicely done.

Sigh. Seven years, four thousand posts or so, and the two pit threads directed at me are one by Justhink and this.

I’m doing something very wrong it seems. Maybe I should apply to be a mod.

Enjoy,
Steven

I feel differently, obviously, so I’ll give it a go as to why. If I were signing my posts “Mtgman” I could understand this. However, my username isn’t my identity. My username is something I made up to get around the fact that there’s only one “Steven” allowed on the Internet and I’m almost certainly not the first. I don’t sign with it because it’s not my name. When I write something, I put my name on it. Not some made-up sequence of characters I put together to get a unique handle for some computer system, but the actual name someone could say in real life and have me look up.

Mtgman is just a handle. It’s not me. In fact, it’s not my only handle(believe it or not, in some places other people got to it first). In some places my handle is Duncan McLeod of the clan McLeod. But regardless of whatever hoops I had to make my identity jump through to get access to some information system, I’m still Steven. I hope this helps explain my point of view on the matter.

Enjoy,
Steven

No, that’s the safe bet

They must not be getting enough drama with their Homeowner’s Associations. Almost enough to make me start signing my posts manually.

Well, yeah, I’d already figured out the “asshat” part. I was trying to point out to the person to whom I was replying that “thoughtfully” was missing the second “T,” y’see. Which was what TYeticus Rex was getting at earlier.

I know.

I just thought “Welsh for ass hat” was funny.

I sign my posts at the end, too. I guess I’m up for a pitting as soon as anyone notices me?

I’ve done it for a long time because it helps me in several ways. Many people quote without attribution on other message boards – some do it on this board too – and they usually quote the whole post. This helps me find where I’ve been quoted/replied to. More importantly, it helps me feel like I’ve finished my thoughts; It just looks interrupted, to me, when a pos

I both enjoy Steven and give Shodan my regards as well.

I usually sign my OPs, for much the same reason Mtgman does. My identity is not olivesmarch4th. I don’t care for the anonymity of the internet and usernames don’t help. I like to think about the fact that I’m communicating with actual people–it keeps me honest. We are genuine human beings. Or as the case may sometimes be, human beans in Christ.

Sincerely,
Christy

If you want to be known on a board as Christy, or Steven, or whatever your real name is, then there is absolutely nothing forcing you to make up some other name. You chose, for whatever reason, to identify yourself as ‘olivesmarch4th’. If you don’t want to be known as that, why did you set that as your username?

But, okay, maybe you had a change of heart or something. Fine. Put your signature as…your signature! That gives those of us who really don’t care what you call yourself the opportunity to ignore your attempt to have two identities, while still allowing those who are interested to see it. Problem solved.