Dear "Enjoy, Steven"

Is signing an OP really that big a deal? Really? If a put a lot of effort into something, I’m going to put my name on it. It shouldn’t even matter why I chose to do it. I don’t get why people are so riled up about this.

Pleased to make your aquaintance, Christy.

It’s not, but it’s one of those little deals that, quite obviously, irks some people. You are putting your name on your post. See? Right up there? Before anything else that you say? There’s your name! It’s not like we otherwise wouldn’t know who was posting.

I don’t get why some people refuse to use their signature as a signature.

Fair enough.

I definitely get why some people find signatures in general annoying, considering how out of hand they get at other places. But I haven’t seen anything here that really crosses any kind of line.

I agree that it’s not a big deal. It’s actually a minuscule deal! But personally I would be happier (less scrolling for me) if both things were put on the same line. Like
Enjoy. Shodan!
or
Regards - Steven…

I am Arnold Winkelried and I approve of this message.

If you haven’t already changed your username a bunch of times, I am sure that an administrator would change you username to Christy for you.

Respectfully yrs, Arnold Winkelried

Ok, so I was oversimplifying my own position to show support for Mtgman. I generally like the concept of usernames. If I changed my own, as I’ve considered doing, it wouldn’t be to ‘‘Christy’’ – it would be some kind of Nietzsche reference or floppy creature (or Og willing, some combination of the two.) Usernames are useful in that they reveal a bit about the personality of the poster, whereas given names don’t.

But when I really put a lot of personal effort into creating a thread, I feel it warrants using my actual name. The desire to showcase personality is sublimated by my attachment to my general (real-life) identity. It’s the difference between sitting in a crowded room listening to a heated conversation with occasional interjections, and talking face-to-face with one person at a time. In the latter example, who I am–the person* I* know as myself–matters to me.

Fair enough.

Njy, S

Thank you, that’s much better.

May you be eaten first -

• pravnik (deceased)

Hmm. All this time my brain was translating his username as “Meeting Man,” as if he were some hardcore middle manager or something. :smiley: You learn something new every day…

The issue is not with sigs or using your own name, but not allowing the other members here to block or not block your sig as they wish. You have every right to sign your name, but why can’t other posters have the right to block your sig if they so choose?

Now, my sig is slightly useful and perhaps a tad funny. But you can block it if you so choose.

I was thinking of you in this thread. I always liked your “Daniel” sign off. Plus your user name always made me smile.

Count me among the ones who never saw it in a negative way.

See, for me the problem is that I can never remember to check the damn “Show your signature” box, so none of my posts would have it. If there was an option to always include your signature I might consider using it.

–FCOD

They can. They can write code which strips it out in their user-agent. Liberal wanted everyone to post in Verdana, so he modified his browser settings and now it looks like everyone posts in Verdana on his screen. IIRC ChiefScott has blocked smilies(which he hates). People who don’t like manual signatures can put people who manually sign their posts on their ignore lists. They can avoid reading threads in which people who compose their posts in ways they don’t like participate. There’s lots of ways people can avoid things. The rub comes in when you ask others to modify their behavior so it’s easier for you to avoid the things you don’t like.

Enjoy,
Steven

Could you please not edit your posts? I don’t like that little “Last edited…” line.

ETA: Thanks.

Some people here right posts that are dozens if not 100+ lines long. They construct arguements, for or against, that take slow careful reading to understand. And a little bitty signiture bothers you? Do you also want an option that hides any posts over 10 lines long?

Succinctly yours, ToC.

Heh–thanks! :slight_smile:

When whippersnappers come in and tell me that I’m unfamiliar with messageboard etiquette (looking at you, SamuraiGosling), it makes me laugh. I was posting on BBSs in '92. I know the etiquette. I know etiquette in face-to-face situations, snail mail situations, and messageboard situations. There’s nothing remotely wrong with signing posts.

The reason I do it is twofold:

1. My fingers are super-used to doing it after 16 years of doing it; and
  2. I figure a lot of folks do what I do, namely, read the body of a message without always looking at the name of the poster. WHen the poster’s name is in the body, it makes it more visible. I wish MORE folks would sign their posts.

Daniel

Oh sure, no problem. I’ve always been perfectly happy with everything I post, and I never make tpyos, so there’s really no reason for me to ever edit anyway.

Enjoy,
Steven

Last edited by Mtgman; Today at 04:51 PM. Reason: This isn’t a real edit, I’ve typed this faux-edit line to irritate the people who hate edit signs.

I agree it’s annoying. Just put it in the signature field. Those who care will read that noise. It would be the polite thing to do.

Pleasantly naked,
Pedro

My identity is always shrouded in hockey, poker and beer. I always try to see other people’s point of view in a respectful manner and usually I learn or am able to take something positive out of the exchange…hence my new sig line.

Though fully enjoy soylent green human beans in Christ,

Yeticus Rex