Disgusting Food Combinations (that people actually eat)

Nothing personal Phoebestar - I’m glad you like 'em that way! I liked Winston-Salem and the people I was with, but cole slaw is just a dealbreaker for me (especially on what was supposed to be a chili dog). Just out of curiosity, is that the default style of hot dog down there? The person who got me the hot dog seemed surprised that what she gave me wasn’t what I wanted.

This is what I tell my wife, who likes ketchup on her eggs! Of course, I will not eat eggs with ketchup. Neither one of us make any sense at all!

I believe this can be found in the Asian grocery store right next to the cheddar cheese ice cream. It’s a common Asian (Philippino?) flavor. In fact, I’ve had a non-frozen Vietnamese dessert similar to this.

According to many people here, putting ketchup on a hot dog is an abomination.

When I go to Wendy’s, I like dipping my fries in my Frosty. A friend of mine introduced me to this tradition. It’s just the combination of sweet and salty. Sooooo good.

And she wasn’t pregnant? :wink:

You might want to try this, then.

Ritz cracker with peanut butter, ketchup, and onion. Sounds HORRIBLE, but surprisingly good. My grandmother used to eat it, and once I tried it I liked it too. DF likes it now as well, so it must not be half as bad as it sounds

Round here we call that a suicide dog. You can get them at the Dairy Queen, and if you’re going to do it right they need to be foot-longs. They come with chili, slaw, onions, mustard, ketchup and cheese. Perfection is attained when paired with onion rings and a chocolate milkshake.

Don’t wear your good shirt when trying to eat one of these bad boys.

My boss liked cold crisp pickle slices covered in warm maple syrup.

And Kahlua and vodka and it’s tasty.

Absolutely! I frequently drink milk, Diet Coke and vodka as a pre-going out drink!

Slaw dogs are popular in the south. You had a chili slaw dog - also fine eating. Brunswick stew is also good on a dog, and slaw is also good on pork bbq sandwiches. These things just are.

As for calling them “suicides,” I think that kind of applies to any thing where all of the available options are exercised. I think of it mostly as a fountain drink that mixes every drink on the fountain

there is a joke in there about Russia or caucasians

Phoebestar is from West Virginia, and I from Kentucky. I can confirm that she enjoys slaw on chili dogs and on pork barbecue sandwiches, although I had never heard of such awful combinations before I met her. And awful it is! She seems to think the same thing about coneys …

I’ve noticed that the chili and slaw hot dog is quite popular here in North Carolina, but I can’t say whether or not it’s usually the default. Note that she prepared the hot dogs in question herself. Certainly if I ordered a chili dog I would be very sad to find slaw on it.

Apple pie without cheese
Is like a kiss without a squeeze

Apples and cheddar go together beautifully, and so do apple pie and sharp cheddar cheese. The sweetness and apple of the pie are nicely balanced with the cheddar. Apple pie has cinnamon, cinnamon rolls are sweet… so I can see a few slices of cheddar* with that, too. Who hasn’t enjoyed an apple, cheese, and crackers? Simple food, and good food.

*I mean real cheddar, as in sharp cheese, not processed cheese food.

There’s no reason to go to Wendy’s except to get fries and a Frosty to dip them in. That’s my favorite weird combo. Yum. :smiley:

How about a slawburger? They eat 'em over in Eastern Kentucky, I’m told. I love slaw on barbecue, myself.

Yo Mama’s has some truly amazing burgers, and a wonderful and assorted selection of good tequila. The Peanut Butter Burger is one of my favorites!

On to my “disgusting” combo… I like to add a big ole’ dollop of peanut butter to a bowl of chili. Add some Saltines and Tabasco and I’m good to go. I think those two are pretty common in chili, but peanut butter seems to be pretty weird. I always get a lot of these: :dubious:

I know people who have beer or orange juice (instead of milk) on their breakfast cereal.

Back in the olden days, before McDonald’s ruined their perfect french fries, it was McD’s fries dipped in strawberry milk shakes for me. Same principle, but even better… (IMHO, YMMV, IANAL, etc.)

And cheddar cheese melted on apple pie is the food of the gods.

My mother loves sandwiches with grape jelly and mayo. I draw the line there. Ick! (And no, I won’t even try it. The thought of it is too nauseating.)

@Hazle: My college roommate referred to Wheaties with Miller Lite as “The Breakfast of Champions.” But that may have been because we were more likely to have beer in the fridge than milk…

From Dumas Walker by The Kentucky Headhunters

Let’s all go down to Dumas Walker’s
Let’s all go down to Dumas Walker’s
We’ll get a slawburger, fries, and a bottle of Ski
Brang it on out to my baby and me

See the video here!!! Complete with dripping slawburgers.

Oh, you would not like my trout with bananas.

If she made chocolate ice cream that way, it would look exactly the same on its way out.