Emmy Awards Show, 2009

As the very tall C.J. Cregg (Allison Janney) once said on the West Wing, “It’s hard to belive we’re the same species.”

Indeed, with NPH and Nathan Fillion.

I dunno, I think it’s earned it every year. It’s pretty incredible that they’re able to pull off such a complex and difficult production with locations all over the planet.

Well I guess I forgot 2 of his acting awards for 30 Rock were Golden Globes. So he has won 4 out of 6 major awards for that character. He’s only been nominated the past 3 years for 30 Rock and won 2 Emmys and 2 Golden Globes. Although you are correct that he hasn’t been “monopolizing the category for years” he has been a heavy favorite for 3 years, putting new faces like Jim Parsons at a huge disadvantage.

Link to Dr. Horrible’s evil plot.

Thanks! (“Sofa monkeys” – hee!)

Was Neil’s bitterness over losing in his category genuine, or was it just schtick?

I had to look up whether or not Rob Lowe actually starred in an ABC Afterschool Special called Schoolboy Father. He was. The unusual roles NPH announced were real- the fun facts John Hodgman announced were not (as is usual for Hodgman).

Sesame Street has won over 100 Emmys, but those are Daytime Emmys, not Primetime.

I watched the whole thing (which is very unusual for me) and I loved it. The Dr. Horrible bit in the middle - awesome! Neil Patrick Harris - very awesome! All my favourite actors not winning - less awesome. 30 Rock is great, but it isn’t the only good sitcom on TV (I suspect it’s getting a lot of love because it’s a show about The Industry). I watched some MadMen once, and it sucked, so I don’t watch it at all.

Maybe Hugh Laurie will get an Emmy for House after it’s cancelled, and he’ll go all Judd Hirsch on them (rumour has it, Judd told them when he won an Emmy for Taxi after it was cancelled that he would take his Emmy and shove it…up on his mantle). :smiley:

Does it matter? :slight_smile:

I kept thinking about the Craig Ferguson interview a couple of days ago, where NPH ribbed Craig about not being nominated, and Craig ribbed him back about not winning. Oooh, scorch pow!

Speaking of not winning, Sarah Silverman was awesome when she didn’t win her category, and when the camera was on her, she was all acting bitter (obviously for comedic effect, since she also had a very nice mustache on, that almost prevented Justin Timberlake from being able to finish his presentation from laughing at her).

Well, yes.

Using his position as host of the Emmy’s to pretend to be bitter about losing = funny.

Using his positing as host of the Emmy’s to genuinely be bitter about losing = kinda douche-y.

It never seemed like anything but a routine to me.

I think we can assume he didn’t want to lose, and is not thrilled about it, so playing off of it while he’s the host is a natural decision to make (especially as a comedian).

I know they had to do it to keep the show within time limits, but really, there were so few shots of anybody in the audience other than the nominees. Usually, somebody will say something in an acceptance speech and there will be a shot of an audience member laughing. But not this year. So for example Hugh Laurie – until his category came up, I had no idea if he was actually there or not. They could have cut that damn dance number.

How pissed off did that guy Kevin Dillon ? look when he lost?

Who was that goddess who presented with Keifer Sutherland? She has one of the most beautiful chestal regions I’ve ever seen. The girl can really wear a dress.

I noticed that, too. I suspect that he went into character, because that is definitely how his character, Johnny Drama, would have acted. Or maybe it was, “Jon Cryer? Are you f-ing kidding me?” In which case, I totally agree with him. Dillon, Neil Patrick Harris, and Rainn Wilson all would have been better choices, IMO.

ETA: If you’re not familiar with Entourage, Johnny “Drama” Chase is an actor. A very full of himself actor.

Agreed. I don’t mind the occasional repeat winner, but 3 of the 4 lead categories went to folks who won last year (plus Tina Fey won, too–just in another acting category).

At least all 4 of the supporting winners in the series categories were first-timers.

It was funny seeing Michael C. Hall nominated, because he’s married to co-star Jennifer Carpenter (who plays his sister on the show) and she was the one sitting next to him in the audience.

And imagine how Jon Hamm feels–he got acting nods for both the Best Drama and Best Comedy winners, but couldn’t manage to win for either.

I believe that was Anna Torv, the star of “Fringe”.

While I wouldn’t say it was the best all seven of those years, it is consistently great and deserving of the majority of them.

Plus, it’s about the only reality show that doesn’t have any major league ass holes behind the shows/in front of the camera. The Amazing Race crew always comes across as awesome people in interviews. Compare to Simon “The Bitch is Back” Cowell.

Not as pissed off as William Shatner looked.