Favorite Alcoholic Beverage/Appetizer

(Moaning…)
Jazzmine, you are a goddess. Artichokes are good, but CRAB?!

This is the week from hell. I’m wrapping up a construction project, living on pork rinds, stale Sprite and Aleve.

I’ll have to work all of Sat and most of Sun. to wrap it up, but Sat. night I’m buying a bottle of wine and making hot crab dip anyway… I’m going to whip up a batch, just for myself (okay, the dog will whiffle some), watch “Iron Chef” and snork down.

You have just saved a life, Jazzmine.

Rediscovered the will to live,
Veb

TV it IS to die for. I actually just sent my teen to the store for the ingredients :slight_smile:

Another easy one is:

Shrimp Dip

8oz cream cheese on a plate. Top with cocktail sauce and then those little cooked shrimps. (shrimp?)

Serve with crackers.

Gotta find some more that are hot, this kind of weather (here in Idaho) calls for it.

For the guys:

The ol’ cheese and chili standby:

1 lb velveeta
1 can chili w/ or w/o beans

cook until all mixed and melted.

another variation is velveeta and salsa cooked until melted.

oo, oo! another one I thought of:

Turkey Ruebens

French bread
turkey sliced thin
coleslaw
thousand island dressing
sliced cheese of your choice

spread dressing on both pieces of bread, layer turkey, coleslaw (put it on thick) and cheese. Put on top piece of bread and wrap in foil and bake at, oh say 350-375 until warm. Delish!

Drinks:
Beer and bourbon. If it’s bad bourbon, it can be mixed with Coke or ginger ale. If it’s Maker’s, to do so would be a crime. I also like a good gin and tonic with a lime when it’s hot, and probably drank my weight in them when I was in Vegas this summer.

Appetizers:
Hot wings, nice and vinegary. My own Wings J-Train are simply baked to a crisp and tossed in a mixture of honey, Red Hot, and a touch of Liquid Smoke, and served with celery (for the vitamins).

Dr. J

Alcohol:
–Lemon Drops
–Kahlua Cream
–Sex on the Beach
–Lambrusco (how’s that for high class?)

Appetizers:
–veggies
–pita chips and spinach dip
–jalapeno poppers (cream cheese, not cheddar)

Veni, Vidi, Visa … I came, I saw, I bought.

Its called Jungle Juice. I’m usually too trashed to pay attention by the time I get around to asking how to make it, but I think it’s Everclear, Vodka, sugar, and Kool-Aid mix.

–Tim

We are the children of the Eighties. We are not the first “lost generation” nor today’s lost generation; in fact, we think we know just where we stand - or are discovering it as we speak.

Okay, we’re bonding here…

Jazzmine, your teen are going out for the crab dip stuff; ChrisCTP, you’re toddler can fix my compter and we can get together on the jalepeno popper things…
SLUMBER PARTY!!

Ever tried the wonton wrappers, Philly cream cheese and pickled jalepeno route? Just mush the gooshy stuff together, pop it in the wrappers and bake it until it looks right or you eat the oven mitt by mistake out of pure greed?

Or really feeble crab rangoons: squish together Philly cream cheese, some fake crab bits (some minced onion or Worchestershire if you’re feeling Martha Stewart-ish), do the wonton wrapper thing and use little plastic packets of soy sauce or sweet/sour sauce you swipe from the local Chinese take-out place?

Life is hell as a gourmet,
Veb

Margarita or Italian Margarita (I discovered this at the Olive Garden - a Margarita with ameretto liquer in it); appetizer: jalepneo poppers.

Anyone heard of a drink called a “pain in the ass”? I haven’t had one, but when I was out a few weeks ago, I met a woman who was drinking one and she recommended it. I was the designated driver and leaving soon, so I didn’t try it. She said it’s combination of daiquiri, pina colada and other stuff, with rum on top and rum in the straw. She said it’s called pain in the ass because it’s a pain in the ass to make. When I was out a few days ago, I asked the bartender if he’d ever heard of it and he hadn’t.

Drinks:
-Strawberry Daquiri
-frog (vodka & lemonade)
-Connie (Amaretto, OJ, pineapple juice & sour. Basically, an Amaretto Stone Sour w/pineapple juice.)

Appetizers:
-Veggies & dip
-Deep-fried mushrooms
-Onion blossoms

“The secret of life is, there ain’t no secret, and you don’t get your money back.”

My favorite drink at the moment is a simple mixture of my own devising. It consists of a double shot of Tequila plus one can of Mountain Dew, served in a salted glass. I call it a “Buzzbomb”.

Laugh hard; it’s a long way to the bank.

Guinness or Black and Tan with a Jamieson neat, or a single malt unblended.

For appetizers (heck, to me it’s as good as a meal!): fresh from the oven bread and real[ butter, kippers, cucumber nd tomato slices.

<FONT COLOR=“GREEN”>ExTank</FONT>
<FONT COLOR=“BLUE”>“No, I’m not British, dammit! I just have an anglo surname.”</FONT>

FROZEN DRINK - Pina Colada with Malibu Rum
MIXED DRINK - Screwdriver with Stoli
SHOT - Jaggermeister
BEER AS A MEAL - Warm Guinness on Tap
BEER AS A BEVERAGE - Rolling Rock
APPETIZER - Shrimp Cocktail

No, I’m not an alcoholic… :slight_smile:

Yer pal,
Satan

Chris CTP-oh,I’ve tried many lemon drops,I could Never get the sugar quick enough,it wa always rank.My fav:Kahlua and soda.Also,one a bartender made up for me.She called it a banana slammer.A shot of Baileys,shot of butterscotch,banana schnops.It was great!My record was 13 drinks in 2 hours.But I wasn’t drunk,probably legally,but I felt normal! Appetizer: chicken wings,celery,blue cheese. :slight_smile:

Tatertot,

Gutentag :wink:
I lived in Maastricht (your spelling was OK) for 6 years, but never tasted any pistacho-like drink… probably a VERY local thing, say, restricted to that particular bar :wink:
Everyone: DO visit Maastricht when you’re in Holland. It is the most beautiful city in our country, along with Amsterdam and Leiden.

NOW, BACK TO BUSINESS: ALCOHOL !!

Beer: Westvleteren Abt, a Belgian Abbey beer containing 12% alcohol. Drink 3 of those, then crawl home :wink: Seriously, it’s a fuckin’ knockout !
Whisky: Glennmorangie (pref. over 10 yrs old).
Also, Armagnac (like cognac, only more pure because they don’t mix the vintages in Armagnac - the village next to Cognac).
And a good red port before diner always does it for me (I love it when it has an ‘oak’-like flavour to it !).

I have no favourite appetizer, I’m more of a drinker I suppose :slight_smile:

BTW, the correct spelling is Heineken. And if you think THAT’S good, get your hands on a non-export bottle of Grolsch Pilsner (brown glass, 0.45 liters, china ‘flip-top’). Avoid the GREEN export ones, they’ll taste juste like your average Budweiser. Which is, well, let’s say… not so special.
The things the Dutch will do to make a buck in the US :wink:

Cheers,

Coldfire

“You know how complex women are”

• Neil Peart, Rush (1993)

I don’t do alcohol, but my favorite appetizer is buffalo wings…and it’s up there with my favorite foods altogether.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@schicktech.com

“Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be
the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks.”
– Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective

Appetizers! It’s not unusual for me to order an appetizer sampler as my meal. It’s better than the ‘real food’ at most places. My favorites are: loaded potato skins, onion blossom w/ horseraddish dipping sauce, jalapeno poppers, calamari, boiled shrimp, fried cheese…Aw, man, is it lunch time?

The overwhelming majority of people have more than the average (mean) number of legs. – E. Grebenik

Loaded potato skins and “Outback” cheese fries.

Bombay martini, straight up, very dry, one olive, and as cold as the bartender can accomplish.

I don’t give a fuck if it’s cloudy (which means he shook it rather than stirred it), just so that first sip is as close to frozen gin as possible.

Outside NYC I usually specify ONE olive. Barkeeps in California, the South, and the Midwest (not Chicago, for some reason) often load two or even three massive olives into the glass, taking up valuble space that must be reserved for gin.

I’ve settled on Bombay because it’s the best imported gin that’s only 80 proof. I drink Gordon’s at home, being a cheap bastard, but appreciate fine liquor when it’s on the expense account. Tanqueray and Beefeater are 90 proof, so if you’re having a good time and decide to throw back TWO martinis, you run the risk of ending up schnockered. Bombay tastes good, and is less filling.

Appetizer? [shrug] May I see a menu, please? Oh, and you can bring me another one of these.

Uke

Well if I’m not drinking beer I’ll usually have a Stoli vodka gimlet with very little Rose’s lime juice. Although with the approach of cold weather, a nice rusty nail sounds pretty damn good.

Appetizers, hmmm… how about thinly sliced smoked salmon on crackers with cream cheese, a little bit of mustard and capers?

I’ll order after cocktail hour.

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” - Humphrey Bogart