Fuck buddies: Yay or nay

I’ve had a couple. As long as both parties are mature adults who know where they satnd, it’s a lot of fun. One of my FBs was even in my wedding, so it dosen’t necessarily mean that y’all won’t remain friends after one or the other ( in our case, both ) of you meets someone with whom you want a deeper relationship.

I would only recommend it for people with some experience sexually ( first time crushes are a bitch ) and if neither party is the jealous type. “We’re friends, we’re adults, we’re doing this because we both enjoy the sex” does work, as long as both parties can keep it on that level.

This isn’t as much of a problem as you’d think.

I’m all for fuck buddies. The vast majority of my sex has come to me that way. You just have to know what you’re getting into.

I had an FB many, many years ago, and I still remember him quite fondly. It was nothing more than some fun when it was convenient for both of us, and we both had a great time.

It depends, on whether you can handle the sex without strings thing. I did it once, but we ended up in a semi-relationship, where he’d come round to mine, we’d chat and act almost like a real couple. We were good friends as well, which didn’t help. On one occasion, he came round to borrow my computer to get some work done for his deadline. I ended up cooking us dinner. We ended up in the bedroom. Now, how is that not coupley? I’d say don’t do it.

Give me a reason

I’d have to say, for me, it wouldn’t be a good thing - logically, it should all work out well once we’d both agreed and set our boundaries etc, but logic sometimes doesn’t come into it once emotions step in. That’s that thing… you can’t know at the very beginning that emotions won’t come into it; yes you can agree all you like but sometimes things just change - people change. You can’t change that.

For me, if I was single, it wouldn’t work. I considered it for about a millisecond and knew in my heart and soul that, sometime, somewhere, I’d get hurt.

Thank god I’m not single anymore and don’t have to worry about such thing though :D!!!

I’ve had one/been one and for me it was a fun experience. We both knew we weren’t the kind of person the other one wanted as a long-term ‘partner’ but we had some good times. He and I parted company after about six months and for a while I kind of felt let down and a bit sad but things had reached a natural conclusion - we went our separate ways and, I hope, with no regrets.

I’ve been in a long-term relationship for a few years and although I still see my f**k-buddy sometimes (we’re part of the same social group), I don’t think either of us would want to go back to the way things were.

It’s fair to say that it can often end with one person being able to walk away and the other wanting more than was originally offered, but sometimes it can work out to mutual advantage.

Having said that, I don’t think I’d want to do that again, I’m older and I recognise that I’ve changed in that I want a more permanent relationship with someone I can talk to and share plans with etc, not just someone who I want to have sex with.

I don’t think it works well.

Either have platonic friends and casual sex with other parties, or a full-on relationship with someone.

It’s very tempting to have a no-strings thing with someone you already know and like, but it hardly ever works out that way. The strings seem to appear whether you want them to or not.

And if you do keep it stringless, there is always the possibility of losing respect for your friend, after all, you are using them as a stop-gap until something better comes along.

No matter how casual you keep it, it’s still hurtful to be rejected by your FB when they find a “real” relationship.

It’s also not great to be the one doing the rejecting and realising that you’ve lost a friend and gained lots of drunken messages on your answerphone, in which your former FB proclaims their undying love.

I know of what I speak.

I agree completely. I prefer the term “Friend With Benefits” to “Fuck Buddy”. “Fuck Buddy” sounds like somebody you just get together with so you can fuck them. “Friend With Benefits” emphasizes the “Friend” part.

I’ve had fuck buddy relationships, and most of mine have worked out – but like cuauhtemoc, I think “friends with benefits” might be a better way of describing the successful relationships. They’ve never been quite the call-and-ask-“Fancy-a-shag?” sort of things, where you drop by, get your rocks off, share a glass of juice, then wander off; more friends who hang out, and sometimes have friendly sex, sometimes just hang and play Scrabble, or get pizza.

Again, they only work when the communication is clear, and both parties want essentially the same thing – so you have to be absolutely honest with yourself while in such a relationship. And sometimes they turn into different relationships, which is good for all involved; sometimes they just stay at that close friendship level.

(Useful datapoints: I’m polyamorous, and my philosophy has always been that I only fuck friends – that way, if the sex doesn’t work out, you can always go bowling. And I’m proud to say that I’m on good-to-excellent terms with about 90% of my past lovers and fuckbuddies.)

Yay!! Where do I sign up?

Based on your past posts I can think of a few.

1. You are inexperienced with relationships/sex…not that this is a bad thing but it could be with having a “fuck buddy”.

2. You are desperate to be involved with someone to the point of giving off the impression that you don’t care who it is…just somebody to be your girlfriend.

3. You tend to get really attached to girls you meet online then when they tell you of their sexual encounters you get jealous and angry with them.

I don’t mean any of this as a negative against you, Ryan…it’s just based on your previous posts I don’t think a fuck buddy is in your best interest.

But, you are an adult and capable of making your own decisions. I don’t think you are going to find what you seem to be looking for with a casual sexual relationship.

Best of luck to you.

Fuck buddies are a wonderful thing, but use them wisely or not at all. The trick (no pun intended) IMHO is not to overuse the same one too often. Not seeing the person that often will help avoid the nasty emotional entanglements that several have spoken of.

Fuck Buddies are good… unless you’re talking about Clinton’s dog.

I’ve had a few fuck buddies, and that’s really what they were. The one when I was college age didn’t work out so well, the ones 7-10 years later (following a long-term relationship that also didn’t work out) were much better.

These two guys were not people I wanted to date, be in a meaningful relationship with, marry, or have kids with. But they were fun to hang out with, we had amazing chemistry, and a lot of fun in bed and elsewhere. One moved away, I stopped calling the other after I met the guy I would eventually marry. No big deal, no hurt feelings, great sex. It worked for me, I’m not saying it would work for you.

I’ve had one, but honestly, Ryan, judging from your past posts, you are not emotionally prepared for it. Trust me.

I had one and I also prefer “friend with benefits”

She and I didn’t click so much but the sex was incredible, we’d get together once a month or so for the better part of a year. Good memories. As long as you are honest upfront and realistic, it can be a good thing.

Maturity is essential it goes without saying, just good toe curling sex when the desire is there and no mind games. To clarify, other games can be just fine :slight_smile:

Haha, no its ok guys if I’m not prepared, I was just wondering what the moral consequences would be, so I could tell my friends that were doing it the pros and cons.

And Aries 28 I hate to admit it, but you are right on everything at the moment.

Daikona:

What, you didn’t plug in the internal modem?