"Fucking carpet munchers, you should've been put down at birth"

snerk

I gotta call out the rest of the people at the pub for being spineless chumps. At least a parent could have said the “children are present” line.

Hmm, it’s almost as if folks here think that the biggest problem in this scenario is that this guy assumed these two women were lesbians, or somehow recognized them as such.

I really don’t think that’s the issue. I think the issue is that the moron wished retroactive death on two women for the sin of being queer.

These kinds of people terrified me until I was in my 30’s. I once had some teenager tell me that he was going to go home and get his father’s shotgun and hunt me down, again for the sin of being queer. This is not fun, my friends, and maybe when you have experienced it for yourselves you will understand the gut-wrenching reality of this kind of unearned hatred.

SanVito, my sympathies.
Roddy

Agreed. Had I been a customer I would have gotten up to leave, but not before I told the bartender that I didn’t appreciate jerks like that man, and would no longer be patronizing his establishment if he didn’t toss him out.

Too bad some of the customers didn’t do that.

It’s not the landlord’s fault the fellow was a bigoted troglodyte (although again he could have done much more to shut the guy up), so people calling him out on Troggo McDykebasher’s behavior is the wrong approach. A simple, yet repeated and increasingly loud chorus of “Shut UP” (as necessary) would go a lot farther.

they call bartenders landlords in Arkansas?

Or I just couldn’t think of anything useful to add about his homophobia, beyond simple agreement that he was a bloody idiot. The OP had already covered the “wish excruciating pain on him” angle, after all.

A landlord isn’t a bartender. The landlord is the guy who owns the pub. They just usually happen to tend bar.

Very few of the bars I’ve ever been in (and I’ve been in a lot) - how would you even know? But let me rephrase my question, they call bar-owners landlords in Arkansas? A landlord and a proprietor, though sometimes overlapping, are distinct roles where I’m from - the southern US.

Where are you getting Arkansas from? The OP is in the UK.

The guy talking about Arkansas is Odesio, who is a dude. The OP is SanVito, who is a chick, and is in the UK (or is from the UK, at any rate).

I"m just baffled about why anyone would care about two women standing at a bar together. Even if he does have extra-special Lezbo-recognizing senses. Why would he care?

:smack:

I would’ve kicked him the fuck out.

He doesn’t have to care. He’s bitter and probably drunk and bashing gays is easy. If she were alone, he might have called her a dirty whore. Not sure what ethnicity the OP or her girlfriend are, but he could have gone after that, too. Pathetic actions of pathetic men. But it is ridiculous that the owner didn’t throw him out immediately, when that might have been the reaction to, say, a racial slur.

It is interesting, I think, that his extra-special Lezbo sense is acute enough that he can recognize a lesbian at birth. Clearly, this unique sensory perception needs immediate scientific study. If that study requires, say, the vivisection of the subject, well, that’s just one of the sacrifices we have to make in the advancement of science.

And, it should be noted, is a lesbian, because apparently that’s really fucking important no matter where she is or what she’s doing.

That sucks shit through a tube. I hope you feel better soon.

I live in the sticks in northern Idaho, folks here are friendly, supportive even. The only time I ever ran into trouble, two fellows objected to my short hair, slung a few epithets, and I get socked in the eye. This happened in a college town in broad daylight, surrounded by other pedestrians and students. You just never know where this shit will crop up.

Sorry to hear of your bad experience. I’m not one for repartee, so have no suggestions as to put-downs.

There’s always the tried and true “suck my dick”. If the original putter-downer was as drunk as is implied, prepare for some heads to asplode from confusion.