Fundraiser for Vickie, AKA Equipoise (posted with permission)[Update - 30-DEC-2023 Vickie has passed]

Many of you will remember longtime Doper Equipoise, #1 fan of Happy Rhodes, booster of indie music and enjoyer of films. She has been diagnosed with cancer. Happy herself has started a fundraiser to send Vickie and her husband/caretaker Chris on a magnificent vacation.

I am not the most eloquent writer so I will quote a bit here from the GoFundMe:

This is a fundraiser to send Vickie and her husband Chris on a journey to see the only 2 states she has yet to visit.

Vickie , who can justifiably claim to have advanced in large and small ways, the careers of numerous female artists, has been diagnosed with Small Cell Lung Cancer. This is an aggressive cancer with a poor prognosis.

This is not just for Vickie but also for her husband Chris, who is her only caregiver. We should all be so lucky to have that kind of support in our lives.

I always enjoyed Equipoise’s contributions to these boards. As a fellow Happy Rhodes fan I looked forward to her musical suggestions as well as her thoughtful film commentary. If you are able to, please consider making a donation of any size. Vickie is aware I am posting this here and I am sure she will be checking in at some point so if you would like to leave a greeting or message for her here please feel free to do that!

Thank you.

Link to GoFundMe:

Done and done. Thank you for all you’ve contributed to these boards over the years, happy traveling!

Thank you, Janis!

Donated. Best wishes, Equipoise!

StG

Thank you Janis! Thank you StG! Thank you to the others who donated (I don’t know your usernames here)! And thank you Nicest of the Damned for thinking of me and starting this thread.

Because I want people to know how extraordinary Happy Rhodes is (the GoFundMe is not the only thing she’s doing for me), this is something I wrote for a music site. It was rejected, probably because it’s too long, but I want to share it here.

Hi, I wanted to tell you about an extraordinary thing that an extraordinary artist is doing. The artist is Happy Rhodes. She’s very very obscure, but she’s been making music since 1986, has 11 wonderful albums with original music, interesting lyrics, and one of the most phenomenal voices you’ve ever heard. Happy has never had a major label contract. She’s released her 11 albums on small indie labels. Her last album was released in 2007, and she has seemed pretty much retired, though in recent years she sang lead on a few tours with a Peter Gabriel tribute band called Security Project, with Trey Gunn and Jerry Marotta. Happy does have a small but devoted worldwide fan base who still listen to and love her music and voice.

My name is Vickie Williams. I’ve been a fan of Happy’s music since 1988, when I was given a mixtape by a fellow Kate Bush fan. At the time I had a radio show on a 100,000 watt Community radio station in Kansas City, KKFI. My show was called Suspended in Gaffa after a Kate Bush song and I featured music by female artists, ranging from Kate to Jane Siberry to Carla Bley to Victoria Williams to Siouxsie and the Banshees to Sister Rosetta Tharpe to Diamanda Galas. I immediately started playing Happy’s music on my show and she built a following from that. Then, also in 1988, I started pushing her on an internet music mailing list (Love-Hounds) and Usenet newsgroup (rec.music.gaffa) for Kate Bush and Happy got fans from that. In fact in 1991 it led to another Happy fan creating an Internet mailing list dedicated to Happy, called Ecto. Over the years I’ve built websites and just generally been a besotted fan. What I did is not that important, but what Happy is doing for me is, I think.

Last October I was diagnosed with Stage 4 small cell lung carcinoma. I was given a prognosis for about a year to 18 months. One of the things that I wanted most dearly was to see Happy perform her own music one last time before I died. With nothing to lose but my pride, I wrote her and asked her if she would come to Kansas City and perform a concert. Amazingly, she said yes! The concert is set for April 10th. It will be a small, intimate gathering of fans (about 100 or so), and people are coming from all over the country and Canada to be there to see her perform for me. Happy insists on paying her own expenses (she lives in central upstate New York) and refuses compensation for the concert. I’m not trying to get more people to come to the show. Most of the people there will know both Happy and me, and they care about us both. I do think people should know what she’s doing though because it’s such an incredibly kind and generous thing for her to do.

That’s actually not all. Happy started a GoFundMe to send my husband and I on a dream trip while I’m still well enough to enjoy it. I’m sure there are other artists who have done great things for their fans, but even as obscure as Happy is. I think her name should go on that list. I don’t mind the thought that my name will be forgotten in the future, but I hope that Happy’s kindness and generosity toward one fan will never be forgotten.

The trip will be an Alaskan cruise, something I’ve dreamed about since I was a kid living in flat Kansas. It will also include a train trip through the Rockies and the Sierra Nevada mountains. The kid inside me who dreamed of mountains is floating in glee at the thought. I don’t know how much longer I have (I’ve had chemotherapy and now I’m on immunotherapy) but these things, the concert and the trip, will sent me out on Cloud 9, and will leave my husband of 40 years with some great memories.

Thank you donors for helping me on this journey. There’s no reason for you to give anything, so please know that I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Donated.
My sister died of small cell lung cancer 9 years ago, and my wife died of cancer 8 years ago, and my new bride (married 10 months ago) has just gotten a positive result on a cancer screening test, so we’re hoping for non-terrible news from the more detailed test next week.

@Equipoise, I’ve always enjoyed your many posts about the astonishing numbers of movies you’ve seen, and your support of musicians you love, such as Happy Rhodes. I miss your and @Gaffa’s contributions here. Thanks to all involved for giving us an oppotunity to help you on your journey.

I’m so sorry cancer has been such a burden on you. My deepest sympathies.

Thank you so much. I haven’t mastered how to do this reply thing on my phone. It doesn’t automatically include quotes in the Reply now? Or I haven’t got a setting set right. Back in my day we didn’t have smartphones (smile. I joined the Dope in 2000).

:slight_smile: quote=“Equipoise, post:9, topic:981183”]
It doesn’t automatically include quotes in the Reply now?
[/quote]

It only automatically includes quotes if they’re partial quotes, not entire quotes (partial quote done by highlighting selected text and hitting the “quote” pop-up). We get around it by a couple of annoyingly convoluted methods. TPTB refuse to budge, for our own good.:slight_smile:

Have you had a chance to see any movies lately that really impressed you?

needscoffee, I tried to do that with my finger but couldn’t get it to work. It doesn’t help that I have tremors in my hand. I could dust off my desktop but my phone is with me all the time. I use a stylus and voice recognition a LOT.

We still see an amazing amount of movies. The Quiet Girl and Living are two movies I’ve seen recently that I loved.

Giving this a bump in case people haven’t had a chance to see it. I know I miss reading all Equipoise’s (and @Gaffa’s) posts.

Thank you. And thank you for mentioning Gaffa. He is Equipoise’s husband. I neglected to mention that.

If anyone needs an extra dose of cute for a Monday, here is a video Equipoise made to a Happy Rhodes song, featuring the cats of Dopers.

Donated. @Equipoise, I’ve always enjoyed your posts. Thank you for your contributions to the Dope. I’m glad that I’m able to repay you in a small, though insufficient, way.

Thank you stretch, I’m so very grateful! Nicest, thank you for finding and posting that video. I had so much fun making it, and Doper kitties are the best! If people don’t see the names, turn on the captions and it has the names of the Straight Dope people who participated.

Ok, so Happy isn’t part of the Dope, but I had to include her cats.

Thank you needscoffee.

Thank you to everyone who donated and/or left a message for Vickie. The fundraiser is less than $2500 away from its $20,000 goal!

I am using my “one bump” privilege here in case some people missed this before. If you are able to, please consider making a donation. Any amount is appreciated. Thank you.

I don’t know if y’all follow Vickie’s husband on Twitter, but I thought this was delightful. :purple_heart:

https://twitter.com/mwconcertvideo/status/1669606523880783872?s=61&t=7zPHcBzjb1UW-wh6DrDc3g

Thanks! I was just wondering yesterday how they were doing.