Game of Thrones 3.04 "And Now His Watch is Ended" 4/21/13 No Book Spoilers

Yeah, basically anyone else would have used the slave army as an investment and would have needed the slavers to make a return.

He knew a young girl could handle three at one time, so he thought he could handle one. I am sure he thought they were domesticated like a horse, since the Targareyeans used to ride them into battle.
Economically, lots of people have armies, but there are only three dragons. So it makes sense to trade the army for the dragon. They are in the arms business and could sell a dragon for alot more than soldiers and they don’t have to feed the dragon as much.
Good episode but I missed Ygritte and Littlefinger.

I enjoyed this episode, but wasn’t everyone who didn’t read the book thinking:

Does Slave Master guy really think it’s a good idea to give someone an army of 8,000 right there in front of him? He better have an army of 12,000 standing nearby! And does he really think that a dragon can just be given away?

Oh, and maybe I missed this, but what does it mean that they are “unsullied” and why is that so important?

Marrying Loras is a good out out for Sansa and the Tyrells, but it’s terrible for the Lannisters. She’s the only thing Robb is likely to trade Jaime for. If she is married to a respectable, rich nobleman far out of harms way, how does Tywin get his heir back from the guys who are * this close* to killing him?

Can someone explain the political danger Littlefinger poses with regard to Sansa? Something about how if Robb dies, then she’s the key to the North. How? She’s got two brothers who would inherit before her. Has word gotten back to King’s Landing that the Stark boys are “dead”? Do the southerners think the northmen would accept Littlefinger as their lord just because he married into the family? They’re already in a civil war.

She can sack Astapor an take what ever she needs from the slave masters.

That’s just what they are called, i imagine it refers to having been castrated at a young age.

Even if they didn’t “accept” him whoever married Sansa would have legal claim to the north. It’s not like the northmen could have elections or anything like that, they wouldn’t be happy about it but if it came to that point it would mean Robb was already defeated so they really wouldn’t have much fight left in them.

Question: How is she going to cross the sea with all those soldiers? As I understand the GOT universe boats seem to be scarce.

What I don’t understand about Margaery offering to have Sansa marry Loras is that he is part of the Kingsguard isn’t he? That means that he is not allowed to get married or hold titles.

No one knows if the brothers are alive, and given that Theon made a big show of burning two orphans there’s good reason to believe they’re dead. So I guess she’d be a player after Robb - not sure how it works with monarchy and women in this world.

Yeah, I’m not quite sure what the deal with Littlefinger is. It seems like the warnings are more about him being lecherous - essentially satisfying his lifelong desire to be with Cat and transferring it to Sansa.

Edit: Loras isn’t part of Joffrey’s kingsguard. He was part of Renly’s, but that’s not recognized as a legitimate king/kingsguard. I can’t remember if he was part of Robert’s, but it would seem that if he was, then the kingsguard aren’t all necessary transferred to the new king.

Somebody knows now.

This is exactly why I thought that this was NOT going to happen (until it did); it seemed like way too obvious a ruse, that I assumed there must be some reason that it couldn’t or wouldn’t come to pass.

So I can’t make sense of what happened to Theon. The guy who eventually came to his rescue (shooting arrows at the rapists) was the one who freed him originally, telling him that he was sent by Theon’s sister, right?

So either that guy had an elaborate murder plot against the people he knew would hunt down Theon (he blamed Theon for killing them), or something mysterious is up. I thought that it might’ve been significant that Theon said that his true father was Ned Stark, and if rescue boy worked for Theon’s father rather than sister, he might have instructions to test Theon’s loyalties and kill him if he’s not loyal to the Greyjoys. But they didn’t have that conversation until they were already underneath the (apparent) Bolton torture room. It’s not as if he could’ve decided at that point, based on the revelation of Theon’s loyalties, whether to take him to the torture room or to safety.

I don’t see what the Boltons would have to gain by allowing him to escape, getting some men killed in the effort to retake him, and then recapturing him.

… Unless he’s actually being held in a Greyjoy torture room mocked up like a Bolton one, and Theon’s confession about loyalty actually did get him taken to the torture room rather than the balloons and party hats room. It would have to be a very elaborate test of loyalty by the Greyjoys, and Theon already effectively passed his test of loyalty by betraying the starks.

Yeah, I am relieved in these threads when folks basically say “it’s not expected to make sense yet.” 'Cuz it really and truly doesn’t quite yet…

That was made of awesome. BTW, Dany did understand whatever the Ben Kingsley rip off was saying. Does anyone remember if there was any hint…Ser Jorah certainly did understand from his reactions, in earlier episodes.
What the hell is Tywin going to do to fix Joffery? Put him over his knee? He is king for god’s sake. All he can do is make sure the guy cannot do more real harm than he has already and he accomplished that by being/having Tyrion act as Hand.

As per Theon; it was a ruse to break him and his spirit.

I’m pretty sure Charles Dance could order people to jump off a cliff and have a reasonable chance of succeeding. I’m looking forward to it.

So we’ve now had three complete scenes across two episodes regarding Podrick and His Magic Penis. I have to say committing that much screen time to this side quest cannot possibly be just comic relief. I’m going to guess that someone is making a move for the prostitutes’ allegiance, and set this up to test that out. Likely suspects are Tyrion and Varys, with a black sheep Ros thrown in there for good measure. (Though either Cersei or Tywin could be bankrolling the entire operation, in the hopes that they can smoke out Tyrion’s lover.)

Aside from all the obvious awesomeness of Danys story as already noted, I think I like her story the best also because it is the clearest. Everyone else’s goals alliances plans etc. are very confusing. I get broad idea that many people feel they have a right to be the king, And they are scattered around with various armies and alliances plotting to make that a reality, but thats about it. Oh, and Lannisters always pay their debts.

By the way, Martin is a kinky bastard…whole lotta incest going on… In addition to what they are portraying in the series, I read that Dany was going to be her brothers wife until he decided Khal was a better idea, and that that is normal in some parts of the GOT world…

Good point. If the north is defeated militarily, it doesn’t matter who is installed as the boss up there. They will have no choice but to go along with it, since they will have lost the means to refuse.

As for how Little finger fits into the bigger picture…

Varys and grandma Tyrell seemed concerned that Littlefinger could do something unclear involving Sansa (marry her?) that, if Robb’s war fails would give him a whole lot of power, which is a bad thing. AIUI, the crown is sending Littlefinger to (charm? marry?) John Arryn’s widow, to get the Vale under their influence, right? If he blows it off, what can he do that puts him in a better position?

The Lannisters will not be happy with him stealing their best hostage. He’s irrelevant to the northmen without an army of his own or a royal decree that says he’s the boss. Nobody will care if he marries the late rebel Robb Stark’s sister. What’s he going to do, auction her off to the highest bidder? Is he banking on a Lannister victory that renders Sansa useless except as a means for him to legitimize a title (Lord of the North) that he expects the King to give him?

Not a big deal because they already mentioned that the Targareons have always married brother and sister, but these topics are supposed to be in a world where the books don’t exist. So don’t talk about the books, even if you’re just comparing something that has already happened.

Band name!