Guys, need some vasectomy experience

A buddy of mine had it done on a Friday (typical routine). He was told to stay off his feet until Monday, then OK to go back to work. He got home and felt great. There was a message on his answering machine offering triple time if he could come right in to work. He felt that he couldn’t pass up the bucks, so he went in.

Late that night he had massive swelling. He went to the ER, and they were concerned about surgical complications until he mentioned he was on his feet for 12 straight hours post-op. That was where their concern cut out. ER doc tossed him an ice pack and muttered, “idiot”.

Moral: follow your doctors instructions.

Easy as pie for me. The procedure itself was absolutely painless. Afterwards, no swelling, no soreness, no bruising. I mowed the lawn the next day.

The key is, when the doc tells you to stay off your feet for the weekend, and not to lift anything for a week, that you STAY OFF YOUR FEET FOR THE WEEKEND AND DON’T LIFT ANYTHING FOR A WEEK.

Follow directions, piece of cake. Do what you’ve been told not to do, and you get what is coming to you.

I followed directions. It was pretty much a breeze. (And a waste of time as it turned out, but that’s another story…)

My dad had one and was swollen and tender for about a week, as I recall. This was a long time ago, though, 1970 or so. From what I’ve read, this sort of reaction is rare. I don’t think he ever had an easy recovery from any surgery.

For my own procedure, I got no anesthesia, there was no pain, and I was up and about immediately. It’s called a tubal ligation. :slight_smile:

Mine went very smoothly, though I had it done at a planned parenthood (they were very knowledgable). However, they did ask if they could bring another nurse in so she could observe and get experience. I highly recommend PPH, reasonable price and they do lots of them so they have lots of experience.

I’d recommend taking the pill they offer that will relax you, and make sure someone drives you home.

I found after a couple days that the tight undies were causing me more discomfort than my normal loose boxer briefs.
Best news is, now you can tell the ladies you have “hood ornaments”. (I have a friend to thank for that).

Is this something YOU really want to do?

Had mine back in '91 for the WRONG reasons- (stop the missus bitching about it and maybe get a
little touch now and then).

As to the experience - the procedure I had done required a general anaesthetic as the surgeon
was going to “take a couple of inches of tube out and then tuck the ends in where no-one will find them”.

I swear to god the only reason I didn’t leap out the nearest window there and then was because the wife
was sitting next me with a deathgrip on my wrist.

So, hospital in the morning,perfunctory shave and a shot of pethedine in the ass so I couldn’t sneak out.
Woke up a couple of hours later with some spotty little herbert checking my dressing and declaring me
fit to go home.

Reaching the front door of the hospital the good lady suggests I wait while she collects the car. I can only
surmise that I was still high as the old the joke about how ‘real’ men jogged home after a vasectomy coursed
through my brain and I took off at a gallop across the carpark feeling no pain.

The bastard had given me a local as well and never told me.

Went to work the next day mowing lawns for 8 hours in the height of an aussie summer and came home
with 6 testicles and praying for green lights all the way 'cause every time I pushed the clutch in I made
some very unmanly noises.

Spent the next day in bad with the frozen peas and got an iguinal support (sorta like a jockstrap) so that
I could go back to work.

2 days later was Valentines Day and the crazy bitch bought me a novelty giftpack consisting of a box of
chocolate penis’ and a sixpack of coloured condoms. . . . … no jury would’ve convicted me.

Anyway, to echo the good advice already offered here, stay off your feet for a day or so, icepacks are your friends
and keep the boys snug for a few days.

YMMV - and I hope it does

-Mitch

Very little pain. It was easy. I highly recommend it, the procedure is so much less invasive and risky for males than for females this is the best way for permanent birth control.

Old recommendation (from the 80"s)- Put a 6 pack of beer in the freezer before the surgery. When you get home, take a cold one and use it for an ice pack. When it has thawed enough to be drinkable, drink it, and get another cold one! Repeat as needed. Necessary cold pack and pain relief all in one!

Beer and pain medication= do one or the other, not both.

I am not a guy, but I did vasectomies in my residency before I decided I did not want to be a castrating bitch.

My husband had his a few months ago, on a Friday morning. When they finished the procedure, he came ambling into the waiting room, smile on his face, looking perfectly normal. He said he felt a little tightness, but no pain at all. He walked to the car, stayed in bed for the afternoon (mainly because that’s all we had planned), and took Tylenol for the pain. He played nine holes of golf on Sunday and was back at work Monday morning (he’s on his feet all day at his job). He said the worst part was the hair growing back in from the shaved areas. He had clear counts in time for our 10th anniversary and we’re both happy with decision!

I had a full-on under general anesthesia (varicocele).

I was sore for a couple of days, kept carrying around a bag of frozen peas on my junk.

But for about a year afterward, every now and then, completely out of the blue, I’d get a sharp just-got-kick-in-the-nuts feeling. It would go away as quickly as it began.

Now that you mention it, that was the worst part - itchy! I did mine 23 years ago, and there was no pain. I did the ice pack thing and took something for a day, but it probably wasn’t necessary. Big plus - not worrying about birth control made sex better for my wife, which made it better for me.

I did mine on Halloween, and the surgeon wore vampire teeth.

Similar thing happened to another friend of mine. He worked as a second shift supervisor in a factory. He’d arranged the time off, got it done, felt okay afterward and went into work. While he didn’t end up in the hospital he said that spending 8 hours on his feet in work boots on a concrete floor laid him our for the next four days rather than the two he’d originally scheduled.

Mine was fine - Friday morning ‘operation’, Friday afternoon my wife and both kids went to Grandma’s house for the weekend, leaving me with a bag of frozen peas on my crotch, a mixed case of red and white wine, and a stack of videos and CDs. Piece of cake.

My friend Jason, the volunteer firefighter, was not so lucky. The rural fire department he works for got three separate fires that night, so he was called in even though he was off for the weekend. I would strongly advise against running in and out of three storey burning buildings with 50+ lbs. of kit on your back. Jason was the only one injured out of all three fires, purely from the exertion at a bad time…

A good friend of mine had a horrible experience; this was many years ago and all the kinks hadn’t been worked out. The clinic had all the guys (10-12) in one room and the doctor and nurse went from one guy to the next, administering the local. My friend was the last guy to get the local and the first guy to have the full job done. In other words, the clinic screwed up the sequence and the results were horrible as far as my friend was concerned. He was laid up for a week and the bruising he had was spectacular, as was the swelling. If you can visualize multi-colored tennis balls, you can have a good idea of how it looked.

Of the procedure or his vas deferens?:smiley:

Had it done on a Friday - not a big deal. I wore snuggish briefs for a week or so. There was a dull ache at first, and some swelling; these were taken care of by ice and a day of watching football in the recliner.

Best deal in town. I had it 36 years ago, so it has been very price effective too, as I’ve not had to deal with birth control, and neither has my wife. What’s not to like!

Same as all the rest above. A total non-event. Take 2 aspirin and call your woman when your’re sterile.

Thanks guys, this was re-assuring :wink:

I’ve always wanted to get the ol snip snip, but just haven’t had the money for it yet. I wanted to know how long you had to wait until you could do it again. I’d read somewhere that you had to wait 6 weeks, Glad I’m wrong.

From HelloNinja’s link:

Who ejaculates 20 times in three months? When I was 15 I could hit 20 within a week if I put my mind to it. Nowadays, not so much. But I could still crank it out like a spider monkey if all I gotta do is flush the pipes.

The worst part of my recovery was that at the time, I had this recliner that I really liked and the dog we had then (may he rest in piece) used to love to jump over the arm of the recliner and into my lap. Yeah, he got broken of that little trick toot sweet, I’m afraid, and never really did it again afterward.