Guys: The V-word.

I wonder if my PPO covers that method…

Piece of cake compared to what a woman has to go through. Heck, my first tattoo hurt worse. Friday afternoon, back at work almost pain-free on Monday (more of an ache than pain, really).

My docter was a bit of a joker, but he was also fairly thorough. Pointed out beforehand that when he does a vasectomy, it stays done. There’ll be no reversal, no growing back together, and he showed me the pieces as he took them out (thanks doc!) - looked like inch-long chunks he took out, then cauterized what was left.

He wouldn’t guarantee it, but just about.

It’s a very easy and relatively painless process that you recover from in days. I had it done 8 years ago and don’t even remember much about it; that’s how uncomplicated it was.

That didn’t have anything to do with Halloween. That is just the quickest way to do the procedure. Most doctors have enough bed-side manner to wait until the patient is under before wearing them.

I had mine done by a urologist, full GA procedure in hospital and all. Mild pain for a day or two, mild discomfort for up to about a week, I don’t recall exactly. Never needed to take the Panadol Forte they gave me to take home.

My friend had his done at a fertility clinic. No idea what they did wrong but one of his balls was the size of a baseball and the other the size of a golf ball for weeks afterwards and he had to sit on a special cushion. Luckily he worked at home.

How old is the OP?

I only ask because I know so many people who have been sure they didn’t want children when they were in the 20s and some when they were in their 30s, but then changed their minds later in life.

Yeah that pissed me off when I was 35 and wanted a vasectomy and the doc wouldn’t do it. I’m 45 and still don’t want kids - never did and never will.

My friend’s wife had to stop the pill and so with two kids already he decided to get snipped. There was a week or two between the wife stopping the pill and his operation. He didn’t have an condoms since the wife was on the pill for so many yeas. So he kept going on and on to our friends about how when you suddenly have to be careful, the urge becomes overpowering.

Sure enough, they got a third kid in that two week window.

Tons of pain, bad reaction to the anasthetic, passed out in my bathroom while stumbling to throw up, knocked myself out.

Two bricks would have been quicker and easier.

Supposedly the odds are against this, but I was wondering:

If there’s a possiblity that the vas deferens could repair themselves, should a man get re-tested periodically for the rest of his life? This is assuming he tested “clean” twice already in the months following the procedure.

(Because the only thing worse than a surprise baby *now *would be a surprise baby when I’m 45.)

Friend of mine drove himself home from the doctor’s office after getting snipped in his 20s. He’s got the smug look of a man who knows that he’ll never get ‘the call’ (well, hopefully never. Hopefully those reversala are rare).

Make sure the local anesthesia takes. Ivylad was told by the doctor, “You may feel a slight tugging sensation.” The next thing, he said he felt like he got kicked by a mule. He felt it up in his armpit, for God’s sake.

It’s a fairly simple procedure, recovery time should be quick, plus you get to lay around naked with a bag of frozen peas on your crotch.

Do go back and make sure it took…it’s the reason my step SIL has four kids instead of three…the vascectomy only took on one side.

Come on. Be a man about it. All guys know that the only sure way is DIY.

I had mine after my second daughter was born. It was in the urologists office and only under local aneathesia. My wife waited in the waiting room, and drove me home afterwards. I was sore for 2-3 days. Make sure you have briefs as you will need the support. I haven’t noticed any difference in the final product as it were.

I had mine done on a Thursday morning in March. Not so coincidentally the day the NCAA basketball tournament started. I had frozen peas, a case of beer, a prescription for painkillers, instructions from the doc to take it easy for 4 days and 48 basketball games on television. The greatest 4 day weekend ever!

Under? No way I was going under with some wacko doctors fooling around there.

And another vote for no detectable difference in anything - except I no longer ever hit the string from the damn IUD. :eek:

I never got retested after the first retest, and at this point even if it repaired itself it wouldn’t matter. I don’t know what the failure rate is, and I don’t know if the failure rate for other methods is by time or by year or lifetime.

We got a bonus for ours. That was when IUDs (which worked really well for my wife) were effectively banned in the US. We were thinking about going to Denmark to get one. With my vasectomy, we used the money to go on a cruise to the southern Caribbean instead. I won’t guarantee it was a better place, but it was much less stressful.

Hi, I’m Si and I’ve been impregnation free for 15 years now…

I was 25ish (one kid, one on the way) when I asked my doctor for a vasectomy. He didn’t even blink, just scheduled the snip.

My wife knew a couple who had a late baby - 12 years after he had the chop. Almost broke the marriage up, until a quick sperm count revealed a rejoined vas. Now the question I have is - had the vas rejoined recently, or was the vasectomy botched originally , reducing sperm output (completely at first), and their luck finally ran out?

And doesn’t the man develop antibodies to his own sperm eventually, making recovery of fertility unlikely?

Si

I had a positive experience, described here, in [thread=374959]this thread[/thread]. My urologist wanted me back for post-op samples until one tested “clean”. As others have posted, I was disappointed by the lack of “inspirational” materials, like you always see on TV. (You mean TV isn’t reality??)

And boy howdy, I am glad I remembered to log Mama Zappa out, and log myself in, before I posted this! :confused: :eek:

I had mine after our 2nd kid was born. We were mid-30’s and sure we were done. I can’t imagine it would be possible that they’d rejoin themselves- I had a section of the vas removed, the ends were cauterized, and then a little plastic or metal clip was placed over each cauterized end. If one of those buggers manages to get past the end, find an opening in the other end of the vas, and keep swimming, then impregnate my wife, well I have the most resilient sperm on the planet and the kid deserves to be born.

Procedure was simple, in the urologist’s office, on a Friday. I drove myself home and sat with a bag of frozen peas on my crotch for the rest of the day. The weekend was uneventful, other than taking extra care in the shower that the stream of water didn’t hit my junk directly. Switched from boxers to briefs for the weekend, and by Monday I was back in the saddle, so to speak. We had to wait for two clean samples before having unprotected sex. Fortunately, they told us that I didn’t have to produce a sample in the office; I produced one at home in the morning and my wife immediately drove it over to the doctor’s office. It was still warm when she got there.

We didn’t have intercourse- protected or otherwise- until we got the all-clear, but my creative wife got plenty of samples out of me, you might say. She can’t detect any difference in the output.

All in all, no reason in the world not to do it. I’ve heard guys complain that nobody’s getting near their junk with a scalpel, yadda yadda. Man up. It’s not that big a deal and the benefits last forever. It’s like being scared of giving blood- it’s a split second of sharp pain and then it’s over.

I guess I’m the dissenting opinion.
The procedure was done in an office and wasn’t very quick or painless, but bearable. A day of rest and I was fine sort of. The doctor was highly recommended by several people for this procedure, including a friend who had it done.
I moved out of state a month later and had to see a new doctor for the follow up.
My problem, I sometimes experience discomfort after ejaculation. It can feel like being kicked in the nuts. Sometimes its bad, others its worse, sometimes nothing at all. I went back to have it checked out but the doctor could not find anything wrong, so I put up with it.
YMMV