Guys: The V-word.

I got mine done nearly a year ago. They made me wait 12 weeks prior to being tested after the procedure. Said that if it were to regrow its usually by 11 weeks. When it was done the doc cut, removed a section, tied, cauterized, and hid the ends.

Also, I am 31 now and had decided long ago that when I am ready for kids I plan to adopt. After my initial visit I had to wait a month to “make sure this is what I wanted”.

I admit things were a little sore for the first week, and I would get a pressure feeling every so often for the first 6 months or so.

Fry

P.S. I hoping it never regrows, but should I get regular tests?

I was done about 6 months ago.
I had just started dating my fiancé and one week into dating she asked why I hadn’t gotten a vasectomy, I replied no reason and got one scheduled for the next week.
I found a surgeon that was covered under my insurance and the whole thing was only $5 out of pocket.
Very sore for 3 days and pressure sensitive for 2 weeks, I had to pull my pants down a couple of inches and arrange things every time I sat down.
I did a bunch of research and got an “Open” where the lower tubes are left untied so as to not experience the problems that Robz is.
Robz, Was yours an open or closed?

I have had no ill effects, the SO and I are both computer nerds so we started referring to not having to use protection as “Plug and play”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Had mine about 5 years ago. In on a Friday. Relaxed over the weekend. Back to work Monday. My wife (at the time) was the assisting nurse, guess she wanted to make sure he got the right tubes.

Says they only broke three sets of bolt cutters before they were done. :smiley:

What happens to all the sperm if they can’t leave the body? Won’t they just keep being made until there’s an er, overflow into the body?

They are absorbed by the body like all dead cells.
cite

I’m curious; for those who have had this done WITHOUT insurance coverage, what does this sort of procedure run?

I have no idea. This is another one of those things where it pays to do the homework.

My insurance shows a bill of $680, that is most likely less than you would have to pay if you were not covered.

If you didn’t specify, they always do a closed, it takes less time and has a better first time success rate.
But is not the best for patient comfort by a long shot. cite

I also had to ask to have a length of tube removed to decrease the chances of later regrowth and failure, they don’t do this by default either as it takes longer and he had to fish around in there for 45 minutes on me to get enough tube excised. :eek:

You’ve heard my story out of other posters above.

In and out quickly on a Friday from the Urologist’s office. He gave me a happy pill at the beginning, Valium maybe? It felt like about 4 martinis.

A bag of frozen peas is good for pain control the first day or two. Minimal pain, minimal healing. Stay off the pogo stick for the first couple weeks.

The Doc snipped, banded and cauterized. Nothing’s healing up here.

There’s no change in the quality of sex. Not even the flavor, I’ve been assured.

The worst was the confusion over how to shave Mr. Happy’s luggage and, unfortunately, the follow-up checkups to measure if there’s any swimmers afterward (You bring the sample from home, it has to be fresh, too.)

Don’t skip this step, friends have child #3 from skipping the after-snip follow-up.

Oh, yes, on edit: Have somebody drive you home.

Here’s my story:

I got mine at age 35, after no kids. I had to sweet-talk my doctor into it, but I played the financial card: “Would this HMO [his employer] rather pay a few hundred bucks for a vasectomy, or several thousand for pregnancy, childbirth, and chilcare?” He signed on the spot.

Went to the urologist’s office, undid my shorts, laid down on the table, and closed my eyes and though of England. The nurse warned me she was going to stick a needle into my scrotum for the anesthetic, then did so (not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be), and then the doctor commenced the tugging and pulling.

After about ten minutes of tugging and pulling (I was reading a magazine, trying not to look), the doctor said that he couldn’t do it under local anesthetic. He used a word that sounded something like “vair-iss-SICK-oh-lee”* and the words “terrible pain,” and recommended we schedule it under GA. I opted for the GA.

A week later, I show up at the Day Surgery clinic at 5:00 A.M. I get an IV of saline, get prepped, get some kind of IV sedative, the whole bit. I’m groggy by the time I hit the OR, and out like a light a few seconds later. Next thing I knew I was coming to in the recovery room. Half an hour later I was home watching Bob Barker.

For about three days I was quite sore, and made judicious use of frozen peas. After that, I was OK, but for a period of about a year and a half, every now and then I would move just so and I’d have a terrible shot of pain in the general area of the nuts. Hasn’t happened in several months, though.

This business about the vas deferens growing back together makes me kind of nervous. Since I doubt that my HMO is going to pay for a sperm count for shits & giggles (especially since my two post-V sperm counts came up zero), is there an at-home sperm count kit I can buy?

*Can a doctor or anatomist please tell me what this word really is, and what it means? Thanks.

Mine cost me all told, 380 dollars. This included the happy pill at the start to relax me, the surgery, and the vicoden they gave me for pain(I didnt really need it).
Fry