Have you heard of the Christmas song "Up On the Housetop?"

I’m younger than Rudolph and Frosty but older than the Chipmunks, and I’ve always loved Christmas music, but I only know this song from the Saturday Night Live skit where Chevy Chase admits to his family that he’s an elf.

The original is “Up on the Housetop” and was written in 1864 by Benjamin Hanby - not “Up on the Rooftop” - which I expect is a modern change to either appeal to kids that don’t live in houses, or to avoid some kind of copyright issues.
The most familiar version was recorded in 1952 (or '53 - reports vary) by Gene Autry. This is the most popular radio version, followed closely by the cover by the Jackson 5.

Of note, Gene Autry wrote “Here Comes Santa Claus,” and his versions of “Frosty the Snowman” and “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” are responsible for making those characters part of the modern Christmas celebration experience. Also of note, “Rudolph” was the first #1 hit of the 1950’s.

I’ve never heard “housetop,” only “rooftop” but other than that, I think I hear this song all the time.

I’ve only heard “rooftop,” but it’s the same song.

I’ve always heard it as “housetop.” One of my favorite memories of my niece’s childhood was when we attended a concert in which she and her classmates performed the song. Cute as can be.

I vaguely remember it from orchestra class. And I was about to say I thought it was rooftop but then thought I was confusing it with the Drifters song. I’m not insane. :smiley:

BUZZZZ!

Housetop…and it looks like a Mondrageen song

Up on the house top reindeers paused (or pause, but NOT paws)
Out jumps good old Santa Claus
Down through the chimney with lots of toys
All part of a little ones with Christmas joys

Ho ho ho, who wouldn’t go? Ho ho ho, who wouldn’t go?
Up on the housetop,
Click click click
Down through the chimney with the good St. Nick

Ho ho ho, who wouldn’t go?
Ho ho ho, who wouldn’t go?
Up on the house top, click click click
Down through the chimney with good St. Nick

Look through the stop in the middle bell
Hope just sees what a glorious well
Here’s a little hammer and lots of tacks
A whistle and a ball and wood clap clap
Ho ho ho who would’t go?
Ho ho ho who wouldn’t go?
Ho oh ho who wouldn’t go?
Ho ho ho who wouldn’t go?
(repeat this line once again)

I have an old Disney Christmas Sing-Along videotape we play every year, it is charming as all get-out. Christmas carols sung with a background of old Disney cartoons from waaaaay long ago. My very favorite is with animated toys (made, I think, in the 30’s or 40’s) and a children’s choir singing Up On the Housetop. It actually makes me tear up, it’s so sweet. All the songs are sweet. Cartoons made in a simpler more innocent time.

All for the little ones’ Christmas joys.

Definitely one of the more popular kids’ Christmas songs, judging by my childhood experience. Maybe the OP’s own childhood experience was Christmas-deprived.

I learned it from our Sing Along With Mitch Christmas record. And it always annoys me when I hear Gene Autry screw up the melody when he reaches the bridge.

Anyway, I call it as a minor song because I’ve never heard it covered by Nat, Frank, Bing, Johnny*, Ray**, Percy***, or Karen.

• Mathis
    ** Conniff
    *** Faith

No offense taken. I’m blown away myself.
I vote “no”, but who is the other “no” voter?

:confused:

May I inject that I hate this song very very much? Thank you and carry on.

Well I voted it as an obscure song because I only know it from that one music/orchestra class. I mean I think we played it one year. Granted, I never celebrated Christmas so most of my knowledge of the season comes from school, so maybe that’s why I consider most things that aren’t Jingle Bells or Deck the Halls to be obscure. :smiley:

Where’s the part about “a whip that cracks?”

Oh yeah, sang this every year in grade school. My mom had a record that had this as well.

Pretty good question. ministryman, did you write your post from memory, or C&P from somewhere?

ETA: Sigmagirl, if my memory is any good it’s the line A whistle and a ball and a whip that cracks.

“Up on the housetop reindeer pause.
Antenna hooked poor Santa Claus.”

Yeah, Kaylasdad, you’re right about the “whistle and ball and whip that cracks” line. Little Will made off with that haul. Although Santa must have been crazy to bring him a whip and a hammer and tacks. That’s sure to put Will on next year’s naughty list. And another part from ministryman’s post ought to be “First comes the stocking of little Nell. Oh, dear Santa, fill it well.”

I learned it about when I was in 2nd grade. That was 45 years ago, and every kid knew it. Probably every parent did, too, from their kids singing it around the house all the time.

I definitely knew the song, but I can’t remember the last time I heard this song. FTR, I don’t listen to many xmas songs.

And I remember it as “roof-top” and by “roof-top”, I always assumed it was the crown of the roof. Growing up in Vermont, Santa’s sleigh would slide off the roof if it didn’t straddle the top of the roof.

I definitely remember it as “housetop,” not “rooftop.”

FWIW, “Up On the Housetop” out-Googled “Up On the Rooftop” 116,000 to 46,400, with, in addition, 149,00 for “Up On the House Top” and 128,000 for “Up On the Roof Top” (not all of which refer to the song).

Of course they do, it’s the very tip-top of a peaked roof. :stuck_out_tongue:

And I agree with those who say that it’s really common for kids to sing in Christmas pageants and the like, not as common as a radio play song or something for adults.