In this thread—> http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=57870 I described a situation I’m in with a person who I used to refer to as my girlfriend. Turns out she does not want to be referred to as such, because of the commitment issue (Hey- I’m the guy! I’m supposed to be afraid of commitment, not her!) she says she needs a month or two more than the two months we’ve been dating to get to know me well enough to hold my hand and kiss me again (yes, again. Suddenly, I became a leper a few weeks ago).
So, I send her an email and list these possibilities.
- You want to break up with me, but don’t want to hurt my feelings.
- You just want to be friends.
- You’ve been hurt, and are looking to avoid a repeat.
- I’m unattractive.
- You are interested in someone else.
- Some kind of mental game. (I somewhat doubt this theory)
- You are not proud of dating me.
All of the seven items were refuted (or at least denied) exept for five, six, and four. The fourth one seemed obviously wrong in the past, but who knows now? I am fully incompetent when playing headgames, and really never know what to do. I’m -way- too selfish to be the -other anyone-.
Fuck this shit!
Why are the truly interesting ones so very fucked up?