HEY! Who should I know here???

I’m a newbie to the ‘straight dope.’ Thus far I’ve only posted about starburst. Thats not even a good start, so who should I watch? Who’s funny, who’s provocative???

Um, hang on one minute ::checks schedule to see whose turn it is to be assigned a devoted newbie disciple::

Ruffian. Follow her wherever she goes on the board and post extravagant praise for every post she makes. If her posting schedule is inconvenient for you, thus preventing you from posting within a reasonable amount of time with the required praise, your designated alternate is GirlBySea. If both your assigned poster and designated alternate have incompatible posting schedules, please reapply immediately.

Your Official Cat Goddess since 10/20/99.

Hey, I like that hat, man. They sell men’s clothes where you got that?

Oh man! If I’d known that new posters get assigned a reg to go 'round with them, I woulda been out more instead of lurking so much the last five months or so.

Can I get assigned now, on a delay-of-game basis?

Goldie

Gentlemen certainly DO prefer blondes –
and with good reason!

You could also follow bj0rn around. If you can survive that, then you’ll be declared fit to post.

Nah, not really. He’ll just give you a headache.

Instead, just follow Zette. She spreads sweetness and light everywhere.

Of course. Let me check the schedule again.

Your assigned poster is Irishman. Follow him wherever he goes on the board and post extravagant praise for every post he makes. If his posting schedule is inconvenient for you, thus preventing you from posting within a reasonable amount of time with the required praise, your designated alternate is Bricker. If both your assigned poster and designated alternate have incompatible posting schedules, please reapply immediately.

I was never assigned to anyone… but I think I must be up for a lackey by now?

Oh, certainly, Sassy. If OgreFade or Goldie have scheduling problems with their assigned Dopers and alternates, you can petition for them. Otherwise, you can have first dibs on the next newbie.

Yeah, no joke, I think I deserve a lacky by now as well! With almost 500 posts, I think I could show someone around and that they could learn a lot.

Actually, I think people should look at Bricker,
Alphagene,
WallyM7,
Ruffian,
Neuro-Trash Grrl,
Satan,
Swimming Riddles,
Freedom,
Dr. Watson,
UncleBeer,
Democritus,
Glitch
and Coldfire
to turn them into well-rounded posters.
I would add me to the list, but such shameless self-promotion is not my style.
Heh.

“Winners never quit and quitters never win, but those who never win and never quit are idiots.”

Hilarious, Kat!!!

“Um, according to who? Nothing more than a high brow troll, though occasionally the bi polar personality swung in a constructive direction on innocuous topics.” Omniscient
[Note: This message has been edited by Eutychus55]

You’ll pardon my amend, of course. :slight_smile:

You did miss about 30 more that would be good mentors. Care for me to name a few? ::geez, I’m feeling old::

–Tim

You can’t accidently create a handicapped baby whilst smoking pot.

mmmhmmm… i’ve seen a few of those names around…too bad i screwed up so bad in the mpsims … damn stupid network… now everyone is gonna hate me…

where is the search i hear ‘lore’ of… i can’t find it… i guess i’m retarded… anyone second it?

This is Cecil Adam’s message board, so he and his current editor, Ed Zotti, are by definition the two most important persons on this board. He (they? it?) pays for this nice establishment, so it doesn’t hurt to pay them back a little. I go out of my way to try to include a reference to Cecil as often as possible–a link to his column, perhaps, or browbeating people to buy more of his books, etc.

Cecil’s main presence is the weekly presentation of his latest column. Cecil himself has posted a little less than once per week, but each day when I sign on I do so in hopes that there will be a new personal message here from him to the Teeming Millions. Most days there aren’t, but good things are worth waiting for.

If we look for what Cecil himself finds interesting, we find that he has posted the following number of times to the various boards (if I counted correctly):

37 - Comments on Cecil’s Columns.
4 - General Questions.
2 - About This Message Board.
1 - Comments on Mailbag Answers.
none, zippo, zilch - MPSIMS, The BBQ Pit, Great Debates.

Again, I try to remember that the “star” of this board is Cecil Adams–the most intelligent person on the planet–and there is a big difference between quality and quantity of posts. There may be some here who imagine themselves to be as clever or knowledgable as Unca Cece, but sadly, “they’re no Cecil Adams”.

Gary Larson, author of The Far Side cartoons, once wrote that, when growing up–he was a strange little kid–he read the newspaper every day looking for articles about murder or fires, and was especially happy one day to see the headline “Murderous Fire”. On a more positive note, I suggest you keep a lookout for threads which have been posted to by Michelle and Mega the Roo.

All hail Unca Cece!

Top right corner of the page. It’s a hypertext link next to the profile|register|preferences|faq links, below the big blue Reply button.

THE most important thing to remember about Ed Zotti, and this board, is to do as he says… not do as he does.

:::SPLORT::: Oh great, now I have cereal fragments all over my keyboard. Did you know MiniWheats turn to concrete when dry? Shoot, now I need to get a scraper.

Well, I’m flattered. I think. :wink: Ogre, I’m willing to help you out, show you the ropes around here. But first, my car needs washed. No, no, NO…not like that! Big circles! First with the left, then the right. I’d say wax on, wax off, but hey…you don’t have to wax it. :smiley:

See you around the Dope…

Teaching: The ultimate birth control method.

Laura’s Stuff and Things

I dare say that the more important question is what should one know? First thing to know: Post your thread to the correct forum. This one is going to MPSIMS.

NYC IRL III
is on April 15th. Do you have what it takes?

me…no…got…mentor. How…me…post…good? :confused:

There, there, Foamfoot. I’ll take good care of you. It won’t hurt a bit! :evil grin:

“I thought: opera, how hard can it be? Songs. Pretty girls dancing. Nice scenery. Lots of people handing over cash. Got to be better than the cut-throat world of yoghurt, I thought.” - Seldom Bucket

Learning to speak and write English correctly would be a good start.

Proud to be on Lexicon’s list!