"Hit On" By Person Of "Wrong Gender": How Often And How Did You React?

This can be Straights being hit on by Gays/Lesbians, or Gays/Lesbians being hit on by Straights…

1. Happened to you, and how often?
  2. Freaked out, or taken as a compliment?
  3. Ever been the person “hitting on” someone who is into the other gender than you assumed?
  4. Want to share your story?

It’s strange, every woman I’ve ever hit on is a lesbian.

Well I defy you to come up with a better explanation.

A few times over the years, obviously more so when I was younger.
    Usually as a compliment, but there have been a few women (usually alcohol was involved) who were a bit aggressive when I said no thanks.
  3. Ever been the person “hitting on” someone who is into the other gender than you assumed?
    As a Gay man, of course…but never hurts to ask.
    One story that comes to mind when I was about 20 is a woman who fixated on me at work and decided we should become a couple and get married. I told her I was Gay and that it wasn’t going to happen. She called me at all hours of the day and night and I tried to ignore her. Then, one day there was a knock at my door and, I swear this is the truth, she was there - with about 5 or 6 members of her church group - and they actually knelt at my door and started to pray aloud and that woman professed her eternal love. When I slammed the door shut and bolted it, she must have finally gotten the hint and I never heard from her again.

Only once, years ago.

I was out with a male friend one night and he spent all evening watching this very pretty and vivacious girl. I urged him to go and chat her up but he was really shy and wouldn’t go. Eventually he said he’d ask her for the next dance.

I got up and went out for some air, and she was there too. She approached me!

It was so funny, the single girl in the whole crowded place that my friend was smitten by, and she came after me! I was flattered because she was cute, but it was more funny than anything so I was laughing as I turned her down. She didn’t take it badly and laughed too.

Then I went and let my friend down.

I don’t think it’s ever happened to me. I’ve been called a poofter many times, but only as a term of abuse from the righteous, poofter fearing ranks heterosexual male kind. Actual gay men seem to recognise that I’m not one of their lot, and leave me be, which is an entirely satisfactory outcome for all involved.

:smiley:

I have been in the situation where I was a little uncomfortable with a particularly effeminate bloke at work, only to learn that he was, in fact, a butchy lesbian. After I’d figured that out, we got along just fine. No one hit on anyone though, not surprisingly.

1. Happened a few times, but always the same person.
  2. Compliment. He’s a cool guy and a blast to hang out with, so when he jokes around about wanting me to switch teams it’s just that: joking around.
  3. Nope, but I’ve hit on a couple for whom I was the wrong gender.

I read this as IS the other gender than you assumed!

I was traveling through New York with some Canadian friends of mine and we decided to hit a girl bar in Brooklyn. Nice club and absolutely full of hotties and during the course of the evening I notice a cute, petite blond looking over my way. Eventually I draw the courage to say hello and using my best naive Aussie accent ask,

‘So is this the best club around here?’ to which she replies in a very deep and masculine Brooklyn accent.

‘Dis is a good bar but there are some better ones in Manhattan’ I politely excused myself under the pretense of getting another drink.

My friends thought it quite funny (as I now do) that I assumed a lesbian bar would exclude transgenders.

Actually now I have confused myself, did I assume correctly to start with?

More times than I can count. I’m a straight male and have been getting hit on by men since I was in college (I’m over 40 now). It’s quite the running joke to my wife. I don’t think I do anything to necessarily attract men- as far as I know I don’t come across as gay bait or anything, not effeminate, don’t look like the stereotypical young hairless hottie, etc. Even the other day, I was walking down the sidewalk at the shopping mall across the street from my office and a guy drove by with his passenger window open, gave me a wolf whistle, and slowly drove off as he watched me in the rear view. There was nobody else on the sidewalk at the time. I was dressed in khakis and a button-down shirt.

Compliment. If someone finds me attractive, male or female, it’s always a bit of an ego boost.

No.

None are that noteworthy.

1. At least once a week. I used to live around the corner from a straight-friendly gay bar, so that’s where I’d drink. If it was crowded, I was pretty much guaranteed to get at least one offer.

2. Neither. It was mostly bemusement.

3. Nope.

4. I don’t really have anything special to share. It was all typical singles bar horniness, excepts it was all dudes.

Happened often enough when I was between 22-35 years old, not happened much or at least overtly lately.

Mostly as a compliment. I worked as a waiter in my youth, so I knew if I was graceful about it I could increase my tips. I had a regular who was a very “out” gay man who would flirt intensely, but I had another customer who was what would now be called a “cougar” and she would a bit drunk and then very suggestive while she was there with her husband. The latter was more uncomfortable. At least a couple of times I was offered cash for sex by other men. That was pretty weird.

Not sure I understand this – would this mean me hitting on a gay woman? It’s probably happened at some point, but I don’t have a clear recollection.

Last week I was at my local and sat next to a lesbian couple. They’d been drinking, and one of them started picking on me and sort of possibly flirting with me. This made me uncomfortable, not because she was (most likely) a lesbian, but because I assume that was her partner she was with. Or at least a date. After they left I checked with my friend who works there with sort of a “Was that I think it was?” and she said “Oh. My. God. Yes, we were about to die laughing.” So at least the staff got some amusement out of it.

Happened twice.
Distressed about 2 on a scale of 10.
No.

1. My sister was a pianist and she was trying to get some business playing weddings. She found a flautist who came over to rehearse with her. They played for a while. My sister went in the other room, and the flautist asked me out. I was too naive at the time to realize it – she asked me out for coffee, and I just told her I didn’t drink coffee. :smack: It had the same effect anyway.
  2. I went with a friend to a movie; afterward, we decided to go get something to eat. She went to call her husband while I waited on a bench outside the theatre. A woman sat down beside me and tried to pick me up. I told her I wasn’t interested. When she saw me go off with my friend Diane, she probably thought I was already taken. I wasn’t (then), but Diane was. By Bob.

I’ve been hit on by women - I take it as a great compliment. I don’t stress out at all.

I’ve never been hit on by a woman. I’d take it as a compliment, and fend it off the same as I would being hit on by a man (who is not my husband.)

Not as much as when I was younger. Appparently boys who like bears think I’m the bee’s knees.
Certainly not freaked out. Complimented if the guy was cute and charming, and a bit heartened that, should life close the door to the distaff gender, I’ll have a window to the phallic one.

1. Ever been the person “hitting on” someone who is into the other gender than you assumed?

Not that I know of.

Oh, there’s several. Perhaps when time allows.

Rarely. Most women seem to realize I’m gay and don’t bother. But it does happen on occasion.

1. Freaked out, or taken as a compliment?

Usually I just think it’s funny.

1. Ever been the person “hitting on” someone who is into the other gender than you assumed?

Not that I know of. But then again, sometimes I (playfully) hit on straight boys just for the fun of it.

1. Happened from time to time when I was younger and better-looking.

2. Neither. I hit on plenty of women over the years who wanted nothing to do with me, so it only seemed fair.

3. Not that I know of, but I had a roommate in college who was dumped for a woman.

4. Nothing of note. Some version of “It’s cool, but I don’t happen to swing that way” typically did the job.

1: Occasionally. I’m a male theatre major, still in college, and I enjoy show tunes and dancing. It’ll happen sometimes, especially if I’m actually dressed up.

2: Taken as compliment, normally, or at least simply worth a laugh and an apology for the fact that I am, indeed, straight.

1. Once, but I was vague enough that she was able to play dumb and I didn’t find out until weeks later.
  1. Happened to you, and how often? Happened fairly frequently when I was in college - maybe once or twice a week. Now that I’m in my 30s, never or very rarely.

2. Freaked out, or taken as a compliment? Absolutely a compliment.

3. Ever been the person “hitting on” someone who is into the other gender than you assumed? No. I love talking to people and may sound kinda flirty, but I don’t seriously hit on anyone unless I’m 100% certain they’re interested (okay, so I don’t hit on anyone but my husband now, but you get the point).

4. Want to share your story? I don’t have one related to #3, but usually when another woman would hit on me, it was at the dorm or my apartment. My college roomie was bi and was very active in the GLBA community. She’d bring her girlfriends and friends over frequently, and I’m a chatty, friendly person and was fairly attractive at the time. Lots of women assumed that my roommate and I were dating (she was really touchy-feely with everyone, me included, and liked to joke-flirt with anyone she came in contact with), but our relationship ended at close friendship - we weren’t each other’s type at all and we knew so much about each other it would have been like making out with my sister.

I wouldn’t have been completely adverse to dating another woman, but I always happened to be in a straight relationship, so it just never happened. Still, people assumed I was bi by association.

A few times, mostly while I was in college. I’ve disappointed a couple of co-workers since then, but they have been lower-key.

I was never particularly freaked out, but I didn’t think it was much of a compliment either. Mostly it just is something that happens, but doesn’t need to be dwelled on. I was annoyed when a floormate stole the puppet I was making for my puppetry class to use it to convey the message that I had a “great ass,” though. I was almost late to class by the time I got the puppet back!

Gender? No, I haven’t met anyone that androgynous. Orientation, though? I’ve flirted a bit with a couple of guys who prefer guys, but I wasn’t really trying to get them into bed. Well, except for one but he didn’t come out until I’d known him for several years.

Now I can tell when I’m being hit on, but I was pretty naive at 18. I had this friend, Jenn, who was a senior and a theater major. She acted flirty and I vaguely recognized that, but I chalked it up to her being dramatic all the time, since she was always larger than life around everyone. Fast forward three years, and I see her picture on the wall of a bi friend. I say “I didn’t know you knew Jen!” They dated over the summer, says the friend.

Oh!!

I was a bar back in a local club that has a well-regarded gay night for a couple of years, so more or less once a week for 80ish weeks.

Not insulted, sort of flattered, but it didn’t really boost my ego since I’d measure my attractiveness in terms of what women thought of me, and I’ve always gotten the impression that gay men tend to find different things attractive in men than most women (other than the generic lean-beef firefighter type, which I’m certainly not).

I’ve never hit on a girl who went the “wrong” way, but I bet every cute lesbian has had some man or other try to “turn” her at some point. :rolleyes: