How about a Scotland dopefest?

Heat? Warmth? Erm, this is the Scotland dopefest we’re talking about right? :wink:

Well I suppose a 2.00 curfew is OK by me. We just need someone to settle on a date then…

Is there anything for tourists to do in Stirling, other than drink with dopers? And is there a nice hotel for those of us who are vacationing and blowing a lot of money?

Stirling Castle is said to be very nice.

Can’t help you with the hotel.

Glasgow and Edinburgh have FAR more to do than Stirling, and are easier to get to.

Stirling is nice, but if we go there I think it would limit our options somewhat. As I’ve stated, my vote is for Glasgow ('cos I live there!) but Edinburgh has lots to do as well.

As this thing is going to require some organising - shouldn’t we pick somewhere that some Dopers are familiar with? Celyn and I are in Glasgow, Nicko is in Edinburgh. Who else is out there and where?

My vote (not that it matters) would be Glasgow or Edinburgh as well, since it’s quite likely we’ll be visiting either or both anyway. If the main dopefest is not going to be a time/place that fits in with our vacation, perhaps we could just hook up with local dopers in a smaller group? Let me know if you’re willing to show two single American women traveling alone in a a foreign country a good time. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m quite central for either place, (I’m in Perth) but I have to go along with iguana Boy in that there is more to do in Glasgow/Edinburgh. And that way Porcupine could make it too. :smiley: Also it seems it might be easier for people that are travelling from down south ect to get to the bigger places by train. Just my 2 cents, what does everyone else vote for?

One good thing(among very few) about Leeds is that it is equidistant between London and Edinburgh.

Firm up the dates and I’ll be there, might even try to be sober(ish)

Well, of course if it were entirely up to me I’d choose Glasgow - though we possibly might want to avoid scheduling it there for the 25-27 May until either Celtic or, hopefully, Rangers get eliminated from the Scottish Cup. If it’s an Old Firm final, Glasgow might not be the most pleasant place to be that weekend (though I’ll be there, of course :D).

Must…resist…sarcastic…comment…

I’ll start getting into shape now :wink:

I’m still interested in the coming up for the dopefest. As long as I know the date in advance, I should be able to book some time off work if needs be. I’ll leave it up to you guys to decide when is best for you.

I think casdave has a point about Leeds being equi-distant between the two, maybe we could have a dopefest there too at some point (jumping the gun abit there, I guess).

Rick
:slight_smile:

Can we agree on a time and place then? It doesn’t matter who wins the football - some areas of Glasgow will always be ok! Celyn and I will keep you safe!

Okey-doke Iguana Boy - as Originator Of Idea, I hereby appoint you as Time And Place Decider.

Choose wisely :smiley:

OK here goes -

Of all those who expressed a preference (myself included :p) Glasgow gets the most votes, and is easily accessible.

As far as timing goes, late April and May seem to suit most people. Late May allows us to include ** porcupine **, but excludes ** Nimue **. I think the vote has to favour the home team (sorry, ** porcupine **:(, I’ll be happy to show you around Glasgow if you come up) so that gives us late April, early May.

I hereby choose the location of the Scotland Dopefest as ** GLASGOW Friday 4th to Sunday 6th May 2001 **.

E-mail me everyone if you can or can’t make it. If there is a lot of negative feeling for this choice, I am prepared to back down like a big scaredy-cat, and rearrange! If it is ok, then I can help anyone book accomodation etc.

Give me an idea of anything you would like to do, and I will try and arrange that also - provided it’s legal, I’m a lawyer, guys!

Iguana Boy hath spoken. Anyone have a problem with the 4th-6th? It suits me fine.

And I also won’t rule out a mini-Dopefest later in the month for Porcupine …

4th to the 6th is fine with me. BTW is it ok if hubby tags along? He’s good company :slight_smile:

4th - 6th May, in Glaasgow. Yes. Incidentally, that could very well be immediately following a general election. So, some celebrating or drowning of sorrows, then. :slight_smile:

Oh dear, I hate to say it after you made the very nice gesture to include me, but the beginning of May is just the time that my hubby will be heading back to sea. He won’t be back until the middle of June. So if May is the best time for everyone else, I say go ahead and make it for May, and don’t worry about us. We’ll make the next one! If this one is a success, perhaps we can schedule another for later this year? We’ll continue to live in Scotland for the forseeable future, so in terms of our making it, it’s just a matter of getting us during Mr Nim’s time home.

Sorry, Nimue, I know you said any time in April would be ok, and late May was out, but you never mentioned early May either way. My mistake.

I had assumed partners were welcome (although not necessary Nimue!) and as Official Chooser appointed by ruadh, Originator of Idea, I say they are welcome!

Any ideas about what we want to do - other than get drunk and embarrass ourselves?

Ah come on Nimue, can’t you come along without him? :wink: