"How I Met Your Mother" [final season]

“If you do go to the strip club, take Ted with you. I’m worried about that kid.” - Curtis the Hotel clerk

I want to go to a hotel that will give me the Kennedy Treatment.

I want the recipe for sumbitches cookies. I’m surprised Lily (who’s a foodie and a good cook) didn’t ask for it–or did I miss that?

Also, did I miss the name of the mother’s character?

Yes, but they’ve also promised us flashbacks, flashforwards, other characters and the whole HIMYM book of time-altering plot devices.

Last night’s second episode ended with Ted getting on a plane to get the locket back from Stella, four days before the episode took place.

I see Marshall has gone to the gym and been looking after his hair - much, much better. He’s a handsome feller (with amazing calves) when he isn’t all schlubby looking.

Saw in a post on another message board about an interview Cristin Milioti did in which she said she didn’t know The Mother’s name. So it sounds like she won’t ever properly introduce herself as she works her way through meeting the Friends of Ted.

Also, thanks to CBS for timing the two episodes correctly so that my DVR didn’t cut off anything important between the two episodes. Missing the last fifteen seconds of a show is what my DVR does best.

Slight continuity question - didn’t the first episode start with a title card that read, “55 hours before the wedding”, and then cut to Ted and Lily road tripping? Then, when Ted showed up at the Inn, I thought the title read, “54 hours before the wedding”? Could they have stopped for sightseeing, and get Lily to the train, and all arrive at the Inn in one hour?

(ref the mother interacting with regular characters)

I meant with anyone else besides Lily

Brian

While it’s not official, here’s a recipe for “Chocolate Chip-Peanut Butter-Caramel Cookies,” which is probably as close as we’ll get to “Sumbitches.”

Really liked both episodes, much more than anything I’ve seen out of this show in at least two seasons.

Upon reflection, I think they’d have played even better, though, without the last scene of the previous season - where we do not meet the mother, and where the actress is not described as such. Then, halfway through the first episode, when we’re all convinced that dammit, they’re just going to string this out forever, Lilly meets some random stranger on a train, they talk for a few seconds, and then, just out of nowhere… and that’s how Aunt Lilly met your mother. No setup; it’s just there.

I’d have liked that, I think, though others probably would not have.

Some of them look too old for that stuff.

Yet whatever the creepiness of the sitcom as a whole, as with ‘It’s Always Sunny’ the inventiveness and skill are dazzling.

Whilst the rest of the world is bemused at Americans’ abhorrence of cousin marriage, this seemed a particularly weak instance of supposed incest [ especially as sitcoms quite often include brother/sister sex jokes and paedophiliac humour ] — nearest could be that Mitch was a cousin of a grandparent, which would make Barney Mitch’s first cousin twice removed, and Robin perhaps a first cousin once or twice removed. I’m guessing that would make them third cousins.

A divorce for same sex marriages ?, why don’t they just split ?

A)If they picked a state to get married in where it was legal, they’d have to get divorced legally as well.
B)If they didn’t and they were just calling themselves married, then they’d probably say divorced instead of ‘breaking up’.

Because “Divorce” is what you call it when a married couple breaks up. “Dissolution of Marriage” is really only used in legal documents.

And also they have at least one child, so custody arrangements need to be made, possibly arrangements for child support, etc.

Awww. I really liked Once.
I miss the accent; took us a bit to adjust.

She was just in the stage version of “Once”, correct? Not the movie (which is Marketa Irglova).

At this late date I was beginning to hope the kids were adopted and they’d get Penny Marshall to play the mother. I hate Ted Mosby.

I don’t know if HIYM said where James & his husband live, but the show’s set in NYS which does have legal same-sex marriage (& was actually granting same-sex couples divorces before allowing same-sex marriage).

As a viewer from day one, I liked the new episodes, but wonder if all the time-jumping that will be taking place is going to get old and confusing after a while.
And I may be mistaken - and you long-time viewers can correct me if I am - but …

didn’t Alyson Hannigan look even more gorgeous than usual?

Well, I also hate Spring Awakening and Rent. I consider all three shows my internet Broadway radio station’s way of telling me “Click SKIP, stupid!”

I have a strange affection for him. I don’t really know why - he has about a billion mega-irritating habits. There is still something endearing about that idiot. :slight_smile: