I am truly a Doper now; I've got a cyberstalker!!

In order to settle this heated issue, I will gladly, nay, eagerly, kiss your ass. To show there are no hard feelings, I will kiss any other body part required or suggested.

Anything to bring a little more peace to the world.

Sua
[sub]Darn, am I flirting with Maggie in the Pit again? My bad.[/sub]

I should **say ** so! bad indeed [sub]especially for neglecting me[/sub]

Sua, can ya forward the harrassing emails to Tuba ASAP? Including the headers?

The email from your new barrio buddy matches the MO of another psychotic dolt who has been sending harrassing emails to Dopers, incuding moderators.

We’d appreciate it.

Jeez, a few emails from a latin-sounding domain and this thread turns into a steamy telenovella. Not unlike Amantes del Desierto

You know, if most of those emails were repeats it’s probably just the multipost thing people do when a site is not responding as quickly as usual and you keep hitting send.

Since you upset someone, why don’t you do like President
Bush and send a non-apology “I’m sorry you’re upset.”

Most incensed complaints become faded after a few days, so you’ll probably find out what was so bad. If you care, that is.

Whatchoo talking about, Willis? According to the schedule you and Magdalene worked out, I’m hers today. Flirting with you today would be cheating, and I don’t do that.

Sua

[sub]So, wring, how you doin’?[/sub]

Somehow, I don’t think this is what you meant, but I could be wrong.
§2.1027 Sua Sponte.
In any initial decision in a proceeding on an application to receive and possess waste at a geologic repository operations area, the Presiding Officer, other than the Commission, shall make findings of fact and conclusions of law on, and otherwise give consideration to, only those matters put into controversy by the parties and determined to be litigable issues in the proceeding.

[56 FR 7798, Feb. 26, 1991]

So instead I am downloading a Latin to English Translator.

We’ll see what this is all about.

From what I could gather here, it seems suasponte is a sweet-talker, or a persuader of persons.

Now the translator finally finished downloading and I have this: “the his property s of one’s own will.”

Well, that clears it up for me.

I see that you’ve put your new found knowledge of the International Date Line to good use!

All the more to level his head with a two-by-four. And keep in mind, I have the right to suspend habeas corpus if I need to (one of the job perks). We may never see the tool for quite a while. Just send him my way - We have ways of making him talk . . .

Tripler
Oh shit what a day. . .

SuaSponte means “on his own motion.” I’m somewhat familiar with this concept because I work for the Oregon Workers’ Compensation Board’s Own Motion Unit.

The Board is normally an appellate body; ie, if an injured worker thinks their claim has been denied unfairly, (s)he may request a hearing before an Administrative Law Judge, and if one of the parties disagrees with the Judge’s decision, they may appeal it to the Board. However, if a claimant’s aggravation rights have expired and (s)he needs to take time off work for surgery related to the original compensable condition, the insurance carrier will submit their recommendation directly to the Board and we will, on our own motion, authorize payment of timeloss benefits.

I know, clear as mud.

Yeah, but it’s not like anyone uses habeas corpus anymore. Now, if you could suspend the right to file under §1384 (IIRC), that might be useful.

As for the Latin, sua means his/her/it’s own. Also used in suos quique - “to each his own” - or quis custos custodes suos? - “who guards the guards themselves?”. Sponte seems to mean something along the lines of “will”. I’m not sure what declesion it would be in, so I’m a little murky about whether it implies possession (“of its own will”) or not (“its own will”), or what gender it is. So, when a court decides a case on an issue that neither party brought up, it does so sua sponte. I believe that an example of this is mentioned in this thread, when Bricker says:

I think that’s about as pedantic as I can get before it becomes fatal, so I’ll stop now, and hope that people more knowledgeable than myself don’t shred everything I said to pieces.

Sua,

I know we had a little conversation in GD this week about racism, so I’d just like to state for the record as far as those emails are concerned:

It wasn’t me.

Fact is, despite the fact that I disagreed with your posts, I find you to be a person of integrity. That’s a rare quality anymore. You are cool as far as I’m concerned.

I know, I know, this is the Pit, so to the dipshit sending out the harassing emails:

SEND ONE TO ME. I DARE YOU!!!

Anyway, I just had to get that off my chest.

Airman Doors,

I never thought for a second that it was you. We disagree, and we disagree on an emotional issue, but our disagreements have been where they should be out in the open and above-board (NPI). I have no reason whatsoever to doubt your sincerity.

Sua

sponte does mean “will, volition.” Ablative from the fem. 3rd decl. noun spons, spontis.

Like Sua said, in context, it is genderless. Probably closest in meaning to “by his/her own will.” I know it’s a legal term, but the law has a habit of butchering Latin horribly.

MR

The Latin scholars here are right; sua sponte means “of his/her/its own volition”. The law has mildly butchered the term to define it was “on its own motion”, and it refers to a court acting without prompting from a party.

The reason I choose “sua sponte” as my handle is, of course, juvenile. In law school, sua sponte jokingly meant masturbation. And what is the SDMB but the most pleasurable form of mental masturbation?

Sua