"I can't believe no one has mentioned" posters, I'm calling you out...

Picture this: you’re reading a thread in Cafe Society, where the OP posits on “movies that have X” or “books that are about Y” or “TV shows that starred Z”, and some chucklehead pipes in with I CAN’T BELIEVE NOBODY HAS MENTIONED <xxx>!

I’m going to be as calm and reasonable about this as possible. I’m going to put my hand on your shoulder affectionately, smile ingratiatingly, and say in a loving manner, SO MENTION IT YOU FUCKING GENE POOL REJECT!!! as I strangle you.

For example: Dr. Rieux does this with a misdiagnosis in the Which Celebrities have aged gracefully? thread. Kung Fu Lola does the same thing when she chops her way into the If I like Coldplay, I would also like… thread. Then, Parsnip demonstrates why her vegetable isn’t that popular with her contribution to the Most depressing Goddamn Books EVER thread.

Ahem. There’s several reasons why <xxx> hasn’t been mentioned yet. It’s forgettable. It’s boring. It’s irrelevant. It’s redundant. It’s retarded. But apparently, YOU have a HUUUUUUUGE opinion of it, and it’s oh-so-dear to your heart, SO GO AHEAD AND MENTION IT! Enough with the implications that previous thread posters live in caves, have no taste, or are so culturally ignorant that they wouldn’t know Avant Garde from Right Guard. GO AHEAD AND MENTION <xxx>, get it out of your system, and stay away from the I CAN’T BELIEVE NO ONE HAS MENTIONED line, just to save my sanity.

Very true.

Also… “Does anyone else like so-and-so?” is not a very good thread topic.

I also like the “What, no ‘blah, blah’ thread?” thread titles (usually a weekly TV show thread). I always wonder why people can’t just make a “blah, blah” thread without pointing out that nobody else has.

I can’t believe no one has mentioned how much more annoying it is when the thing you can’t believe no one has mentioned has in fact been mentioned. Because it means you’re annoying and an uncareful reader.

What’s the over/under on this devolving into a “what, no blah blah?/I can’t believe nobody mentioned blah blah” thread?

There’s also the ever popular “Am I the Only Doper Who…” The Only Answer to that question is “NO.”

Gosh, now I’m getting nervous. Could I see a list of things that are acceptable to say, please?

In most cases, there is a second answer to that question - it is “ick.”

asking for a list is not acceptable. So, no.

I can’t believe no one has mentioned how much more annoying it is when the thing you can’t believe no one has mentioned has in fact been mentioned. Because it means you’re annoying and an uncareful reader.

I can’t believe no-one’s replied to this OP in an ironic oh-so-funny self-referencing way!

(And yes, it can be annoying. But it makes a change from “xxx is a good example of this.”)

Why, are you planning on posting arrogant remarks? Because that’s the meat of this topic - that people who say, “I can’t believe noone mentioned <xxx>!” are usually trying to assert their pop culture superiority and point out the unwashed heathenness of everyone else.

Also on the list:

“I can’t believe no one I know ever gets the reference when I say ‘<minute trivial reference to an upopular television show/movie here>’ in a <social function where the trivial reference tangetially applies>!”

It dosn’t have to be that. These people could just be falling into a written word whisker trap. Like how some people always preface oral statements with “Uh,” or close sentences with, “with know?” Doesn’t always mean arrogance. It’s just improper form.

Still, it IS annoying.* Almost as annoying as people who write noone when they mean no one. :stuck_out_tongue:

*seriously, one of my pet MB peeves.

I’ve decided all list threads suck. Also “recommend me” threads, because everyone feels a need to pipe in, even if they have no idea. For instance, Opal asked people to recommend her country songs she might like, and teeming millions posted, “I hate country, but I’ll go ahead and recommend a few awful songs that I heard on the radio, just to lower the signal/noise ratio in this thread.”

Also, U2 is nothing like Coldplay. U2 is good. If nobody mentioned them, it’s because most U2 fans don’t listen to shitty garbage like Coldplay. Also, anyone who wants to find bands like Coldplay should be strung upside down and mericelessly whipped with a herring.

I can’t believe no one has mentioned how much more annoying it is when someone mentions how they can’t believe it when…aw, fuck it.

I can’t believe no one has tried to do a 1920s style death ray joke.

I burning your death ray joke!

I can’t believe Lynn hasn’t closed this joke thread, yet.

JOKE thread? Where the fuck do you get joke thread? I did what I keyed in as thread title. What, were you the one who told on all other kids in 3rd grade? I think I’m going to have to make a new thread calling out the JUNIOR MODS. :rolleyes: