I Got A New Job! (long and rambling)

Yay for me!

I’ve been unhappy for various reasons at my current position for, oh, the whole time I’ve been there (3 years). For a long time, I felt very stuck, due to my age (early 20s), lack of a college degree (personal issues), and lack of professional office experience (this is the only office job I’ve ever had). Plus, the benefits (like FREE insurance) and hours (M-F 9-5) are outstanding. But, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

I’d been half-heartedly sending out my resume via Monster for the past couple of months. There was one job I thought I’d be really good for, because it was with another Japanese company. They were looking for someone who was familiar with speaking to non-native English speakers. Unfortunately, I waited too long and they had already filled the position. :frowning:

I got a phone call on Wednesday from one of the companies I’d applied to asking about scheduling an interview. Thankfully, I had yesterday off (company holiday) and was able to schedule an appointment. I arrived slightly early and filled out an application. The interview was short (only 30 minutes), and went well. I hadn’t been on a job interview in like five years, so I was kind of nervous.

I was told that they were looking at a total of six applicants for the position and that I would hear from them by the end of next week. Well, apparently I just knocked him dead, because he called two hours ago and offered me the job! He had originally discussed a potential start date of August 1, but he doesn’t want to wait that long. He would like me to start July 18.

The commute is longer (I’m 2.1 miles from my current job), the hours are slightly longer (9-6 instead of 9-5), but the money is better - good enough to offset the fact that we’ll be paying for my husband’s company’s insurance. And anything is going to be better than the office environment / culture / attitudes I currently deal with. (Sometimes they make me cry.)

YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Good for you! Nothing feels quite as good as leaving a job you were unhappy with.

featherlou, you got that right! Most of the time, when I’ve left a job, it was for multiple reasons, but at least three of them were precipitated by bad work environments. You hear that, bosses of the world?!? Some of us won’t put up with it! :smiley:

fantastic!!! i hope you enjoy the new place.