I got dumped tonight

I had only been in this relationship for three weeks, but this one was really growing on me. This girl was great: the nicest, cutest, most drop-dead gorgeous person I’d ever had the chance to be with.

We’re both interning here in D.C. and met in early February. In the three weeks we had been going out, things got really heavy very quickly, on an emotional and physical level. We did all this knowing our internships would be over at the end of May. She lives in Texas, I live in Michigan. She’s a college sophomore. I’m a graduating senior. You do the math. But we decided to have fun with it anyway.

But I guess this past weekend - in which we spent almost 48 straight hours together and took our relationship to a new level physically - made her reconsider things.

After a few e-mails that got increasingly angrier and then increasingly sad, we met at the Washington Monument to talk. There she told me that she had to end this, because if she was too scared that if she waited two months, she and I would be so attached to eachother that the forced break-up would be too painful on the both of us. In a way, it was compliment; she acknowledged that she would date me in a heartbeat if circumstances were different.

And there she was, with her big, bright green eyes and pouty lips, her blond hair blowing in her face. The White House was lit up behind her, the Washington Monument to her left, the Capitol to the right, dozens of flags flapping loudly in the wind.

It was the most beautiful sight I had ever seen. I had not fallen in love with her at all during these three weeks. But at that moment, I knew I was madly in love. I looked at her, said “I have to do this one last time,” and gave her a kiss, a long, slow kiss she readily accepted.

After that we had a frank, often funny discussion about us and other things. We went to the Jefferson Memorial in the moonlight. We ate dinner. Then we parted ways a the subway. We hugged. She said, “I’m so sorry.” I told her I was too.

We already have plans to continue hanging out. After all, her and I watch Iron Chef every Friday. So I’m not worried about that. And I know she’s right… heck, both my roommate and my mom agree with her. But it still hurts to have something so great and then lose it so very quickly.

At least I walk away from this knowing that I can land the smart, beautiful girl. And that will help me. But right now, this still hurts.

Getting dumped sucks.

But it sounds like you two are going to be good friends if you can both be so mature about the situation. :slight_smile:

{{{{SNenc}}}}

SNenc,

I think you are up for some hard times/happy times…

I am not trying to look smart here, but if I were one of you two I would not have been brave enough to go through the enjoyment in the first place fearing the hurt feelings that were waiting at the end. But after bein dumped once, and dumping another once, and getting married etc… I think you guys have done the right thing, and you still have two more months to enjoy each other’s company.

I don’t believe you are dumped…You guys are just afraid of the imminent ending, but this kind of wound heals faster than you fear. And all that is left are the fond memories.

So I say go along with it as long as possible.

I have heard of relationships like this that, after a year or three of being apart, you end up together again because you never really stopped loving each other and it was ‘meant to be’.

Hope this is one of those kinds for you.

Yeah, I want to just chime in here on Guano’s statement. Possibly, if you’re still going to be hanging out, and by slowing down/stopping things like this, you both might realize that you really are wonderful together. Love knows no distance or age.

Here’s hoping for the best SNenc, and I’m sorry things are the way they are right now.

As someone who’s been on the receiving end of one of those bolts from the blue, I can empathize…getting dumped really, really sucks the big burrito. But I guess that’s what you get for tempting fate, though.

::ducking and running:: :wink:

Posted by schief2:

Ugh… I’m all too aware that my hubris might have come back to bite me in the ass. An update for those who care: We’re getting along pretty well, still sending the same inane e-mails back and forth all day, and we’re watching The West Wing together tonight.

One of my friends is convinced we won’t be able to keep our hands off each other as we keep spending time together. I think I’ll be able to restrain myself, though I already know the last day we have together could be interesting. We shall see…

Thanks to those who’ve lent their support in this thread. It really means a lot to me. :slight_smile: