I Locationed - Have you? A thread with a Community Benefit

Ah let y’all know where Ah live. With an accent.

Here’s arguably the most famous spot in my town

With uh aix-ay-ent! I often stay at that hotel just east of the park. Best I recall it’s a Sheraton, but they tend to change brands every few years. Downtown FTW is a fun time.

I had locationed before, but now I added some more location information and added something to the About Me.

For local interest, this used to be my weekly (sometimes more) sight:

I’ve actually been inside the water tower - they rent it out for special events.

I still remember the news from when that bridge burned down a few decades ago. It was very sad.

I updated mine slightly. I’m 3+ weeks into the new house and it is coming together.
Most rooms are largely organized and the main bathroom is being professionally redone. Hopefully it will be complete soon.

I just made myself a little bit more specific. South East England.

j

Mine has been there, but I just changed it at the urging of no one.

I had kinda wondered why most of y’uns didn’t have yours in.

In this other thread, it’s been suggested that this thread be moved to a different Forum/Category, where it might be more easily seen by more people. That seems like a great idea to me, especially since it isn’t really a thread game in the first place.

This young ‘un tried but it doesn’t seem to have succeeded.

I’m on an iPad, it’s my first and only message board experience, and I’m tech decrepit, so there’s that.

@BippityBoppityBoo: I see “Lincoln, Nebraska u​s”.

So you did succeed. But it’s only displayed (at least in the themes and devices I’ve played with) when somebody clicks your spiffy avatar to see the popup w all your details.

That seems to be the only way it works; there doesn’t seem to be any option to have it shown automatically – anyone who wants to know has to click on the avatar.

I don’t know whether that’s a discourse thing that would have to be changed in discourse as a whole (probably really unlikely) or an admin thing for which we’d need to have an active functional admin (which I really hope we get, but am beginning to wonder whether it’ll ever happen.) I doubt it’s anything the mods can do.

Thanks @LSLGuy. I very much enjoy and get a lot out of knowing approximately where folks are, helps to know the context and relative timing of posts. Mostly, I prefer to keep both feet out of my central daylight time upper midwestern central United States flatland prairie inner city humble single dwelling wiser and older crazy cat lady mouth.

Location, location, location.

My profile “location tag” owes its inspiration to this spot that’s just down the street:

I tried it and got no profile link under the Preferences menu. Maybe different for mods.

We have it. You have to dig down to Profile.

Here is what I had to do. Click on my avatar to get a top menu; click on preferences to get a pulldown menu; click on preferences to get a new menu and then click on profile. Anyway, me real location (as opposed to the fictional one I had before) is now displayed.

Cool, it worked.

Here’s a picture of something interesting not too far from where I live:

The large ring shows the circumference of an Ohio-class SSBN. The small ring hanging inside it shows the circumference of USS Holland, the Navy’s first submarine.

Now that’s a museum I’ve always wanted to visit. Kinda off the beaten path, but soon enough I’ll have all the spare time I need to hit all the museums, ballparks, etc.