I Survived My Visit With Mom...

Barely, but I did. I’m home now and damn it feels good!

O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com

Without any pants on… :slight_smile:

Opal,
Glad you made it…wish me luck on Thanksgiving with mine :slight_smile:
Seems you you should have a T-shirt to proclaim your sucess: “I survived my visit with Mom”
Zette :slight_smile:

Click here for some GOOD news for a change

Zettecity

Glad you survived Opal!! Wish I had a mom to visit. Wanna share? we could take turns :wink:

I am me… accept it or not.

So you’ll be getting to your classic threads column now :wink:

Sorry. I’m in a putzy mood today. Folks are bailing from the Norfolk meeting.

If it weren’t for the fact that I know who posted that, I’d say ‘Touché’ to that one…

Is she THAT bad Opal ? You only get one, you know… No disrespect intended of course, I don’t know anything about the situation.

Coldfire

“You know how complex women are”

• Neil Peart, Rush (1993)

Oh, and thatnks ChiefScott for making that reference so incoherent… don’t you have a boat to catch or something :wink:

My last post was referring to eh-Sue-eh’s post.

Just thought I’d clear that up.

Coldfire

Yeah, I can just imagine her mother saying the same thing about gramma long ago.

I didnt mean it rudely either Opal… actually was trying to make light of it…No offence taken I hope.

Is she that bad? Hmmm… since I am grown up she doesn’t hit me anymore, which is good…
I had no money and she refused to go grocery shopping (and while I am a vegetarian, she eats practically nothing but meat) so I had to rely on going to friend’s houses and mooching dinner…She tried to teach Christian crap to my son against my wishes, and then when I tried to tell him what I believed, she said “Keep that stuff out of my house”… she is one of the most selfish and controlling people I’ve ever met… she never EVER thinks of anyone but herself. One sort of minor things as an example: she arranged to have some workmen come to repair her garage door, and told me that “someone has to be here between 12 and 2:30” for it, but that she would be at work. She never even asked me if I had plans or anything, I was just expected to be there.
She is better than she used to be, but she is still no picnic.

O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com

Putting it like that, it doesn’t sound like a picnic to me either, Opal. It just struck me a bit, your subject title combined with Sue’s reaction - having seen Sue’s webpage dedicated to her mom and all.
The irony noted was entirely mine, I’m sure Sue meant nothing by it as she is, well, too sweet to even think about sarcasm and such :wink:

Anyway, glad you’re back, now fix that Teeming Millions page already 'cause I was looking for MountainBlue’s picture… she said “she’d do me” in another thread, so you can understand I’m slightly curious now :wink:

Coldfire

BTW, anyone who wants a mom is welcome to her… she’s only 48 and barely used. Added bonus: she hasn’t tried to choke me since I was 16.

O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com

I promise to behave… ok ok I promise to TRY to behave…doesnt sound like much fun Opal… come see me… I’ll feed ya… if the 8 year old ever stops cleaning me out that is…

Oh, I forgot one thing… if you need a mom that loves you you’re out of luck. Even when my husband confronted her by saying (in my presense) that he’d never seen her say she loved me (she never has) she just stood there. This was after we had an argument because she kept interrupting me midsentence to change the subject, and then defended herself by saying that if I didn’t want to be interrupted, I would “say something that anyone cares about”. She changed the subject, incidentally, to the highly captivating topic of whether or not that Texaco was new…

O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com

Opal, I completely empathize with you on this. This Christmas will mark 3 years since I have seen, spoken with, exchanged correspondence with or been in the same building as my mother. And I don’t see it changing anytime soon. You have a child involved, and are apparently a much better person than I am. If I were to be around my mother right now, I would not be able to handle it.

“Come on, Phonics Monkey–drum!”

I sure don’t want to turn this into a Mom bashing thread, but remember (those of you who have lost mom and miss her) that not all of us got one that we would miss. Years of abuse aren’t erased, and not everyone enjoys spending time with mom. Believe it or not, some moms never even wanted their kids (ask mine about it sometime. She’ll be happy to tell you all about it).
Just another point of view, harsh as it may seem-
Zette

Click here for some GOOD news for a change

Zettecity

I’m just curious as to WHY you saw her at all, Opal? I think that, after a certain point, even the closest of relatives have to earn your love. She doesn’t sound like she deserves it.

I have relatives to whom I’m very close–and others I haven’t seen in years and have no desire to.

I would loan you my mom to visit if she was still here. She would feed ya what ever you wanted and smother you in hugs and smooches.
=)

“Only when he no longer knows what he is doing, does the painter do good
things.” --Edgar Degas

ohh and the only thing she would have taught your child is that beauty comes from within, the value of honesty, of generosity
and most of all … love.

“Only when he no longer knows what he is doing, does the painter do good
things.” --Edgar Degas

Ah girlfriend.

Irrational people are the worst. You just want to strangle them! People who don’t listen to me and consider that what I’m saying is coming out of my feelings of love for them… I’ve stopped being friends with them, but relatives are tough. My in-laws fall directly into this category.

I’m very fortunate to have a wonderful friendship with my mother now. She hasn’t tried to beat me since I was eighteen. We have a feasible relationship for three reasons: 1. I’ve grown up. 2. She stopped drinking. 3. She found Alcoholics Anonymous.

Don’t get me wrong, when we’re together for more than a few days she drives me batty. At least it’s a non-matricidal batty.

Mom’s classic move.

Mom: “Canthearya, you have to try this!”
Me: “Mom, I’m really full. Thanks but I’ll try it later.”
Mom (shoving forkful in my face): “Come on, you know you want some!”
Me: “Please Mom, I’m just not hungry right now.”
Mom (grabbing my chin): “Just one bite!”

I finally just give up and take the bite, rolling my eyes while I chew.

My husband tells me I should just submit.

Arrrgh!

Men are from Mars, women are from Venus, dogs are from Pluto.